Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a Hispanic woman interested in living in Havana, Florida. Is it a place that is accepting of different races and cultures, or more of a closed community? Also, is it pretty or run down? I would appreciate any answers you could provide that would shed some light on what life is like in Havana, Florida. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Driving through, it appears to be a run-down lumber town. Dunno more than that.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,937 times
little havana you mean in Miami ???

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Nono, not Little Havana. That's a neighborhood... this is a city

It's called Havana, and it's located outside of Tallahassee, Florida. I just wondered if it was a nice town or what.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM

25 posts, read 93,094 times
Havana had it's hay day back before the trade embargo with Cuba set in, they were a tobacco town. Now they survive mostly off the small farms in the outlying areas. Maybe some parts of that community are open, but in the main part of the town most of the people are segregated... there is wealthy or upper middle class whites living on the historic area streets and at their coveted country club... and then there is one street over where the blacks, etc and lower class whites live in sqwaller. When I worked there there was ONE black family at the country club and ONE black member of the Kiwanis club (both the same guy)... They can be open and friendly but I think a lot of the residents are not comfortable mixing. Most of the residents either own comapnies in the area or work in Tallahassee or do labor or don't work at all. There is very little inbetween in this town when it comes to income and social class. You either are or you aren't. They are one of those towns where you only REALLY belong if you were born there, and your father was born there and his father was born there, etc.

It has one ratty Harvey's grocery store and the closest burger joint is in Tallahassee. Other than "Rick's Chicken Shack" there is no where to get food after about 4:30p. The public schools are also so terrible that anyone who can scrape together enough money send their children to the local private schools (which one in particluar is no better than the public schools, but it's almost all white and they seem to be drawn to that) do so. I worked in the downtown area for a year and while it's a lovely place to go for the day for lunch and antiquing, I wouldn't move there if you paid me and bought me a house at the country club. lol.

Also, if you are looking to rent, I hope you like run down trailers or the old "hole-in-one" motel/crackhouse-esque apartments that rent by the week... if you want to buy, prepare to deal with the one and ONLY realtor in town who is neither friendly, helpful nor gracious. I delt with her once when I was looking to buy when I first got my job... she got very upset that I wanted info on a house for sale and basically threw a photocopy of the newspaper listing at me and told me to leave. LOL.

Last edited by GracieJayne; 02-29-2008 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 AM

Default Well! Okay, it sounds positively horrific!

I've never understood why American towns all end up "going bad" with time, where European ones do not. It saddens me. Thank you so much for the heads up on what a mess Havana, FL is.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
so u dont think living in havana is a good place for myself and my fiancee and my to boys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: