Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I live smack-dab in the middle of redneck country. But Okeechobee is more than just redneck. It's just weird. You have to go there to experience it.

We use to drive through there to visit my Dad. From Fort Myers to Melbourne and back.

It's true that some of it is beautiful. Original Florida.

But I use to hate driving through at night. Was afraid we would break down. It isn't a redneck vibe. It's something else.

Creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
Thumbs up Great place to live.

I guess no one that actually lives/lived in Okeechobee wrote a reply so there appears to be a lot of mis-information on this thread.

Many of the people that live here are snow-birds and come from places like Kentucky. There are others that have been here for many generations and would never want to leave.

There is still much of an old-time, small town appeal. When you move in, neighbors drop by to welcome you. There are still many shops and stores owned by individuals and not part of a big chain. (And people here know the owners by first name!) At the local Bank of America someone will always say hello when you walk through the door, and you'll be offered coffee and cookies if the wait is more than a minute or two.

Our dentist (not a secretary) calls at home to see if you're ok after a filling.

I remember life like that when I was a kid and I'm glad it still exists, and really glad I moved here from my gated golf community!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM

18 posts, read 103,378 times
kath2210 said:
"What kind of job are you looking for? Highlands County is close to Okeechobee area, not a bad place to raise a family if you want that "small town" thing."

What about Highlands County?
I do have kids and would like to know the difference between both counties if you please.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,773 times
I think jiml has it right. I don't believe there is a place to live that could be called the perfect place to live for everyone and anyone. I live in Baton Rouge and have a place in
Okeechobee and what I like the best about Okee is the weather and the fishing. There
are risks in life no matter where you live. Baton Rouge has some rough areas but also a
lot of good things. Baton Rouge big town Okeechobee small town that said people cause problems more people more problems period like it or not.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,415 times
Well, to be honest I'm southern breed but city raised and am glade to be back in the country. I'm not retired though and look forward to being back in the "redneck" communities. It's been awhile, so bare with my silly questions until I learn Okeechobee.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,774 times
For an Okeechobee resident's take on the place, please see my response to d-fens at this location:

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...echobee-2.html

Old 12-20-2009, 06:44 PM

26 posts, read 79,128 times
Hyperbole,

I live in Highlands County, next county to the west of Okeechobee. We have the towns of Lake Placid, Sebring and Avon Park.

Okeechobee is nice. Sebring is nicer! Okeechobee is cow town. Lake Placid is citrus town. Okeechobee is closer to the beach. Sebring and Highlands County has lots of lakes that have clear water with sandy bottoms. Guess that means that you get a warning and can scram when the 'gator starts chasing you!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a place in Okeechobee county. Should be able to get acreage at a good price. Here in Highlands county you can buy an acre lot on a paved road with utilities and zoned for the best schools for around $20,000. I think it would be cheaper in Okeechobee county. Don't think schools would be as good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida