Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returngirl View Post
I was born and grew up in South Florida. I went to college in Tallahassee and when I left Florida in 1994 I SWORE I would never return. It was too hot, too un-cosmopolitan, and I wanted to see the world. Surely, the world had to be better than FLORIDA, right? Well, now I have seen the world (most of it), and I have lived in many places, and I am seeking somewhere cheaper, warmer and close to family (my family is in Fla.). Which means going back to Florida. Ideally I would love to live in California but I can't afford to buy a house there. So, will I regret going back to Florida? Has anyone left Florida and then returned, only to leave again?
My parents moved there - TWICE! Once with me and one of my brothers, when I was much younger and then again when they retired. Both times they returned to MD where all most of their children, grandkids and great grandkids are located. Dad would still be there in the warm weather if it was up to him.

I would go where your heart is and if you can stand the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwvrad View Post
Your comment had me in stitches, being born then lived in north jersey(paramus) since 1954 i lived in jersey, I am a trucker for a proffession, ive seen alot of this great country but in june of 2007 i moved to New Smyrna beach area in the rural area west of 95, i loved it, but in sept of 2008 had to move back due to family issues... man i hate it here, im back in the same town in jersey as i was before sunday it was 60 freakin degrees , last nite it went down to 12(tuesday)
You mentioned a date that has not happened yet, did you time travel?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
jesjonton,

I'm sorry you are so unhappy in Florida. You have a right to your opinions, and I agree with you about a few things, to a point, but I do take issue with some of what you post.

Your comment about retirees hating all "youngins" is not true. I'll be retireing there in the near future, and I do not hate all young people.....they are the future, and we older people invest our lives in them, helping them by our experience when asked.

Also, about the cost of living. I do not know much about South Florida......perhaps it is different there.....but compared to New York....there is no way the cost of living and taxes is higher then NY.

I have found Florida and it's people wonderful.......many times you find what you look for and what you portray.

The OP was asking about weather she should move back because of family.....let's not turn this thread into another "Florida is so bad, hot, boo-hoo" thread......there are already too many of them here.

Frank D.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 47,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
You mentioned a date that has not happened yet, did you time travel?
SORRY SEPT 2007, YUP TIME TRAVEL AGAIN ERRR A SENIOR MOMENT ACTUALLY

Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
As a person nearing retirement I pay a lot of attention while visiting frequently with my relatives in FL. Many positives, but I will probably pass.

I think your feelings about FL. are first, what you really want and expect and what your priorities are. I enjoy the warmth but detest the humidity. I find the area around Tampa a bit raunchy and I appreciate a more disciplined society in general.

As I travel extensively I get a glimpse of a lot of places and drive in most of them. A cleaner, less dense, less touristy area usually appeals more to me. Places with vehicle inspection and more astute motor vehicle law enforcement are preferable.
I shall continue to visit my folks in Tampa and partake of the many good things, but it is simply not my cup of tea for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida