Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 12,544 times

Advertisements

I was born and grew up in South Florida. I went to college in Tallahassee and when I left Florida in 1994 I SWORE I would never return. It was too hot, too un-cosmopolitan, and I wanted to see the world. Surely, the world had to be better than FLORIDA, right? Well, now I have seen the world (most of it), and I have lived in many places, and I am seeking somewhere cheaper, warmer and close to family (my family is in Fla.). Which means going back to Florida. Ideally I would love to live in California but I can't afford to buy a house there. So, will I regret going back to Florida? Has anyone left Florida and then returned, only to leave again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
you are lucky to have the option to move anywhere you'd like. I am stuck here for the next 15 years because of my job. I would move in a heartbeat if given the chance. I miss seasons...snow..mountains. This hot, humid, flat as pancake place is driving me nuts.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have left, returned, and am desperately trying to convince my husband to leave.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
I did exactly that.
I was raised here, left to "see the world", returned and upon having seen "better things", realized how lacking Florida is in so many essential ways, so, I left again.

I still own property in FL and will likely to so forever, but I will never, ever again call Florida "home" nor will I raise my kids there. Great place to visit, horrendous place to live unless you're some decaying retiree just waiting out your last few years in the only semi-tropical climate the US has to offer.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
This is such an individual choice. No one person can say yes you will be making the right choice or no you are making the wrong choice. I wish it was that easy. You need to way everything and decide for yourself. I totally agree with you on California, I would love to live there too, perfect weather. I heard that prices at there are coming down, so it may not be so out of reach as you think.

I can tell you that if you thought it was too hot in 1994 its hotter now. The last 10 years or so have gotten warmer. For instance two days ago it hit 87 degrees in Miami in FEBRUARY, crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returngirl View Post
I was born and grew up in South Florida. I went to college in Tallahassee and when I left Florida in 1994 I SWORE I would never return. It was too hot, too un-cosmopolitan, and I wanted to see the world. Surely, the world had to be better than FLORIDA, right? Well, now I have seen the world (most of it), and I have lived in many places, and I am seeking somewhere cheaper, warmer and close to family (my family is in Fla.). Which means going back to Florida. Ideally I would love to live in California but I can't afford to buy a house there. So, will I regret going back to Florida? Has anyone left Florida and then returned, only to leave again?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

99 posts, read 353,130 times
I lived in NY, moved here to the Tampa area, stayed 2 months, went back to NY, & now I'm here again. Only now, we have 2 children & I hate it because my older daughter goes to school in the dark, my youngest daughter wants to play outside & there are red ants everywhere, not to mention the wasps(who make nests on everything), so you can't have a swing set or a sand box. My husband's allergies are getting worse by the day & I'm going to stop getting allergy shots for now & see how it goes. If you like consistent HEAT, no seasons & looking @ houses w/blinds closed, oh & Palmetto bugs, then I guess this would be a place for you. Next year we will be moving to PA w/real grass & my parents are coming w/us. My brother & sister in law will be going to CO because they've even had enough of the heat & she once loved it here. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM

40 posts, read 294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaluv View Post
I lived in NY, moved here to the Tampa area, stayed 2 months, went back to NY, & now I'm here again. Only now, we have 2 children & I hate it because my older daughter goes to school in the dark, my youngest daughter wants to play outside & there are red ants everywhere, not to mention the wasps(who make nests on everything), so you can't have a swing set or a sand box. My husband's allergies are getting worse by the day & I'm going to stop getting allergy shots for now & see how it goes. If you like consistent HEAT, no seasons & looking @ houses w/blinds closed, oh & Palmetto bugs, then I guess this would be a place for you. Next year we will be moving to PA w/real grass & my parents are coming w/us. My brother & sister in law will be going to CO because they've even had enough of the heat & she once loved it here. Good Luck!
Sounds like quite a list of issues where you live. I've lived in Florida since 1996 and love it here. I've lived in the north east US, central US, and I have to say I wouldn't want to move back. I don't like shoveling snow, the winters with little sunshine and bleak weather. We have a pest control service that comes once a month and have an outdoor sandbox and swing set that my son plays with year round without any problems.

I've always had allergies and they are no where near as bad as they used to be now that I've moved to Florida. I love going to the beach with family on the weekends and playing in the Gulf of Mexico water, and if I ever have the desire to see snow, I can always vacation in it.

To each their own.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Returngirl,

No one on a forum could answer this for you. Of course, there are those who came back, and those who are here who want to leave, as you did.

Everything considered, no one is guaranteed tomorrow. When you ask people who know their days are soon to end, most care only about family. Not money, not career.....just family. The saying, "No one on their deathbed wished they spent more time at the office" is true.

You sound young..perhaps in your 30's ??......it does not matter. not knowing your vocation, money situation, etc, it is difficult to advise......but California and Florida are alike in many ways, except that Florida has your family.

Follow your heart. We live in a free country, so if things do not work out, you can always continue your quest.

Frank D.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 47,735 times
Default laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
you are lucky to have the option to move anywhere you'd like. I am stuck here for the next 15 years because of my job. I would move in a heartbeat if given the chance. I miss seasons...snow..mountains. This hot, humid, flat as pancake place is driving me nuts.

Your comment had me in stitches, being born then lived in north jersey(paramus) since 1954 i lived in jersey, I am a trucker for a proffession, ive seen alot of this great country but in june of 2007 i moved to New Smyrna beach area in the rural area west of 95, i loved it, but in sept of 2008 had to move back due to family issues... man i hate it here, im back in the same town in jersey as i was before sunday it was 60 freakin degrees , last nite it went down to 12(tuesday) ........if u love crazy weather, and being in your house from november thru march cause of the weather , not to mention, big taxes(i pay 12,000 on a 350,000 dollar home),not to mention the snobs from nycity, and all the foreigners, and illegals here, oh and did imention car insurance? no tickets or accidents in 30 yrs and i pay 3000 for my suv ... the poloticians are crooks, they let the local hospital go into bankruptcy now the nearest hospital is 25 mins away providing its not rush hour...need i go on?
Well ive had it and im moving back to florida, ive watched this place all my life turn into a cesspool of shopping malls and stuffed shirts, not to mention that it went from blue collar to white collar area and no one wants to volunteer,, the ambulance and volunteer firedepts are begging for volunteers, most everyone one could care less.
Oh yea did i mention the average cop retires after 25 yrs here on a average pension of 70 grand? go figure????? and dont getme started on teachers once their tenured............

CIO NJ BABY

Old 02-20-2008, 12:23 PM

158 posts, read 868,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowley View Post
Sounds like quite a list of issues where you live. I've lived in Florida since 1996 and love it here. I've lived in the north east US, central US, and I have to say I wouldn't want to move back. I don't like shoveling snow, the winters with little sunshine and bleak weather. We have a pest control service that comes once a month and have an outdoor sandbox and swing set that my son plays with year round without any problems.

I've always had allergies and they are no where near as bad as they used to be now that I've moved to Florida. I love going to the beach with family on the weekends and playing in the Gulf of Mexico water, and if I ever have the desire to see snow, I can always vacation in it.

To each their own.
I love your response. I left in 1996 and am sorry I did. I really miss it. I know things change and so it does every where.

I am cold and dont want to leave my house. I hate snow and love the sun. Even the sweltering hot days dont bother me much. Oh I know there will be days that I get sick of the heat but I will remind myself that I would rather sweat than be freezin in IL!

I cant wait to get back this spring/summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida