Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 887 times

Advertisements

My daughter and son in-law + two young children rent a three bedroom apartment in a low income community Lake Wales Fla. Recently they acquired three additional children through a court ordered custody: now they have 5 kids. Their apartment building said they must leave due to too many people in one unit. NOte* They do not have another unit to offer them...they will be on the street in three weeks.

I would like to rent a four bedroom home in their area and take them in...is this a possibility? Or is it just too many people under one roof?

PLEASE someone help with information.

Last edited by buildanest0; 08-15-2016 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: not enough info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
I have no info for you because I don't live up there.

All of these rules! It should be about behavior , not numbers.

But I know "shoulds" don't matter, along with all the stories of families living in cramped surroundings and turning out just fine.

I sure hope a 4 bedroom house for 5 kids is permitted!

Best of luck.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
One can only assume the apartment company is within their legal rights, but, the lease and the eviction notification provisions should be carefully examined.

The company probably has experience with low-income renters moving friends and relatives in and out and, in effect, subletting to others. Your title says, "three adults?"

My thought is that if these children are legally theirs, the management company will have a much more difficult time evicting them, than under other circumstances. But, I'm not a lawyer.

Perhaps they can seek some relief through the court who awarded them custody.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Apartments have rules, as well as governing rules from cities, etc as to how many in one unit. Slumlord rules to keep them from charging by the head. As to your house, unless the city has some very stringent rules, you can do what you want, especially as they have a court order regarding the three kids.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
All depends on HUD if they are getting money from HUD-- there are rules- if NO-- there is none, that be up to the lessor. There is NO law to say otherwise - but apts have policies which you must abide to

Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
I moved to Florida from San Francisco where it's normal for a family of 4 to live in a 2 bedroom apartment, so 8 people in a 4 bedroom seems fine to me, but then again people in Florida are pretty spoiled when it comes to living situations. You will need to tell the landlord how many people will be living there, so it will be up to them.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildanest0 View Post
My daughter and son in-law + two young children rent a three bedroom apartment in a low income community Lake Wales Fla. Recently they acquired three additional children through a court ordered custody: now they have 5 kids. Their apartment building said they must leave due to too many people in one unit. NOte* They do not have another unit to offer them...they will be on the street in three weeks.

I would like to rent a four bedroom home in their area and take them in...is this a possibility? Or is it just too many people under one roof?

PLEASE someone help with information.
Last time we rented a place, every adult had to prove they could pay the rent from their own income. Looking at Zillow for a 4 or 5 bedroom in Lake Wales the rent will be $2000+. Lot of miss leads on there, too. Some would list 4 bedroom and give a ridiculously low rent price and when you opened the ad it would be for a studio or 1 bedroom???
It will be hard to find a place that will rent with 5 kids, any possibility that you could purchase a home and charge them rent to help pay the mortgage? My son has a 5 bedroom in Davenport and his mortgage payment is less than the rents I saw for Lake Wales 4 bedrooms. Looking at Realtor .com saw some 4 or 5 bedrooms for sale from $100,000- $200, 000. saw 1 with a separate MIL suite for less than #$100,000.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM

47 posts, read 52,353 times
Having been a property manager in Florida for many years. What should have happened is that the landlord should have been notified of this possibility prior to the order allowing him/her time to come to grips with it or make a decision to allow time for this move to take place. In most cities in Florida there are ordinances which will not allow more than 2 unrelated heartbeats to reside in the same residence. There is also the issue of male/female ratio. If you have children over the age of 18 months male and females must be housed in different bedrooms. Two of a kind can be placed in one room, but it seems like 5 maybe a bit too many. Landlords also have to consider damage possibilities with so many children. They generally are looking at it from a historical point of view in that case.

I wish them luck. However, one poster is correct. The eviction rules of the state and county must be observed and the landlord has not done that, then they should not respond and let him take them before the judge so that they can make their case, then whatever the judge orders will be final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: