Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know anyone who is struggling?
I know one or more people who have lost their job and con not find employment 13 20.97%
I know one or more people who are losing their home 10 16.13%
I know people who are going through both 13 20.97%
Nobody I know is going through anything like this 26 41.94%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 13,641 times

Advertisements

This has been going on for the last 8 years and is nationwide. Real wages have actually dropped since 2000 and our 'productivity' has gone up. Big business has teed off on Americans the past 8 years and the top 1/10th% have gotten amazingly richer on the backs of the rest. A friend of mine just got lad off last week. He was the top salesman for his company. Worked there 17 years. They were purchased by a huge company. The suits decided that the business they might lose by letting him go was less than the money they could save by keeping a salesman with 1 year experience over one with 17 years. They had no problems with him at all, they admitted it was a 100% dollars and cents move. So thats where we are, working harder for less money, and dang glad to do it or else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBob View Post
This has been going on for the last 8 years and is nationwide. Real wages have actually dropped since 2000 and our 'productivity' has gone up. Big business has teed off on Americans the past 8 years and the top 1/10th% have gotten amazingly richer on the backs of the rest. A friend of mine just got lad off last week. He was the top salesman for his company. Worked there 17 years. They were purchased by a huge company. The suits decided that the business they might lose by letting him go was less than the money they could save by keeping a salesman with 1 year experience over one with 17 years. They had no problems with him at all, they admitted it was a 100% dollars and cents move. So thats where we are, working harder for less money, and dang glad to do it or else.
Bob, the reasons behind the economy we have has been building for a lot more than 8 years. Much of the foundation for this was started in the early 1900's. It's taken time and some pretty deviant and purposeful actions, not to mentioned plenty of ignorance to let it happen in the first place to screw up what was the greatest and freest place on earth which didn't even have close second place competitor.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 AM

73 posts, read 265,018 times
I am so embarassed to even write this but my husband and I are in this boat right now. We live on Long Island and right now we're losing our home. We don't live in a great area, but still somehow, we're losing everything. We don't have alot...the only diamond I own is the one on my finger (and that belonged to my grandmother). We don't drive new cars (mine's a 98 - which isn't starting and my husband's clunker died last week - he wound up buying a 22 year old truck for $400). We have been trying to sell our house up here for almost a year to get out from under this but unfortunately we've failed. It hurts so much because all of our memories are being taken away without our consent...births, backyard bbq's..all the laughter. It's a drain on your spirit. My only saving grace is the strength of my marriage. We keep saying that even with the walls crashing down...as long as we're together, we're the richest people in the world... although it's getting harder and harder to believe. We have been wanting to move to Florida for so long, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

To the negative poster....please don't lump us all into one category. We did make SOME mistakes (I will admit that) but a really wonderful lady told me...bad things happen to good people.

Good luck to anyone else in this same situation...you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

374 posts, read 1,629,343 times
I really feel your pain... We are not in the best financial situation either. It is awful to have that horrible feeling over your head every day and night. You are a strong person, I can feel that from your words. Please hang in there and something will happen for you and your family. It seems like the nice people get hit the hardest in this life. Keep hanging on to your husband and keep working hard. Please don't be embarassed by your situation. YOU ARE NOT ALONE Thoughts and prayers to you and your family...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgennaro View Post
I am so embarassed to even write this but my husband and I are in this boat right now. We live on Long Island and right now we're losing our home. We don't live in a great area, but still somehow, we're losing everything. We don't have alot...the only diamond I own is the one on my finger (and that belonged to my grandmother). We don't drive new cars (mine's a 98 - which isn't starting and my husband's clunker died last week - he wound up buying a 22 year old truck for $400). We have been trying to sell our house up here for almost a year to get out from under this but unfortunately we've failed. It hurts so much because all of our memories are being taken away without our consent...births, backyard bbq's..all the laughter. It's a drain on your spirit. My only saving grace is the strength of my marriage. We keep saying that even with the walls crashing down...as long as we're together, we're the richest people in the world... although it's getting harder and harder to believe. We have been wanting to move to Florida for so long, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

To the negative poster....please don't lump us all into one category. We did make SOME mistakes (I will admit that) but a really wonderful lady told me...bad things happen to good people.

Good luck to anyone else in this same situation...you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
good luck to all those that need it. Good things will come your way..hang on tight, keep your chin up and you will see !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida