Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times

Advertisements

I am a 60ish, single gal who will be looking to start a small business, as well as, seeking some male companionship when I get to Florida. So, this is my question:
What is the difference between the people who live in the Boca Raton region, which, I guess, is the Palm Beach County area VS. those who live in the Sarasota region?
Yes, I know some people will say that people are people--and the same all over--but, oftentimes, this is just not true. One area may have a more laid back atmosphere and the other a more aggressive one. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about: I lived in Houston over 20 years. Lots of traffic in and out, a real transient city to the point it is hard to find too many extended families there innercity. Not so "Texan" as the DFW area was (although this has changed now that DFW is just booming like crazy with transplants). Houston is very casual. DFW is more formal, probably, due to having one of the 3 major clothing marts in the country there. Dallas has the city motto on t-shirts that say, "Keep Dallas pretentious." Houston would never be able to say that as Houston has always been so down-to-earth. See? Different, although in the same State, and only 4 hours away from each other.
Since I can't make it there right now (eldercaring a parent), maybe you can help if you are living in Florida now?
ALSO, is there a great deal of difference in the two areas insofar as activities like opera, antiques, thrift stores, etc.? I'm not a golf or tennis buff--and I do try to stay out of the direct sun at midday--but am a very, very active person and plan to get out of the house alot.
Sarasota looks safer when it comes to hurricanes, but what else am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Boca Raton=Cross between Nassau County, NY (Long Island) and Orange County, CA
Sarasota= Somewhere in Ohio, except a little grumpier and crankier.

Nowhere is safer when it comes to hurricanes. It just hasn't been hit in a while. Neither has Boca until a few years ago.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM

That's hysterical...thanks! I get from that that Boca is more Jewish and more plastic, in general. I am picturing crystal plastic high heels, right? And lots of bangling bracelents, bright colors.
By the way, I know a Texas gal from a smallish city who lives in Boca the last 10 years. Her husband has made some good money, but, between them, they have become the most money hungry, pretentious, phoney people you have ever met...ugh. Sure changed when they moved to Boca. Were much nicer when they lived in Austin and, yes!, San Diego. What the heck happens to people when they move to Boca? Must the the land of keeping up with the Jones'? Or am I wrong???
The West Coast, like Sarasota, must be more Midwest and down to earth? Is that what you mean? Is Sarasota loaded with the feeble and infirmed? Oh...fun...
Does the crowd in Boca seem younger?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
That's hysterical...thanks! I get from that that Boca is more Jewish and more plastic, in general. I am picturing crystal plastic high heels, right? And lots of bangling bracelents, bright colors.
By the way, I know a Texas gal from a smallish city who lives in Boca the last 10 years. Her husband has made some good money, but, between them, they have become the most money hungry, pretentious, phoney people you have ever met...ugh. Sure changed when they moved to Boca. Were much nicer when they lived in Austin and, yes!, San Diego. What the heck happens to people when they move to Boca? Must the the land of keeping up with the Jones'? Or am I wrong???
The West Coast, like Sarasota, must be more Midwest and down to earth? Is that what you mean? Is Sarasota loaded with the feeble and infirmed? Oh...fun...
Sarasota is a smaller, more laid back version of Boca. I live in "downtown" SRQ. If you'd like to do some research, check out: srqmagazine.com, sarasotamagazine.com, sarasotafilmfestival.com, and basically just start googling Sarasota. We are in full swing "season" at the moment with the social calander rocking.

There's pretentious people everywhere in Florida, but there's something for everyone in Sarasota, i.e just as many free things to do as there are $300 ticket events. I work for the Film Festival during "season" and we are very proud of our festival and I also work on Longboat Key in property management so I get to see all ends of the spectrum. If you'd like more information, pm me.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
TootsieWootsie (that's cute!), I met a lady while on a summer vacation in Vermont who lives year-round in Boca. She hateshateshates living in Boca. Her husband is a cosmetic surgeon there, and does veeeeerrrry well. (Hhhmm, maybe that tells us something! )

She told me that she cannot stand the tone of the people there for many reasons you mention above; pretentious, phoney, plastic. This lady is Jewish herself, so that was not an issue, which I hope it would not be for anyone.

She was a very nice, down-to-earth lady and I guess felt like a fish out of water in that phoney atmosphere. I often think about her and hope that she is well.

Now I know you mentioned Sarasota as an option, but have you considered Naples? DH and I used to have a lovely condo there, which we sold, but only because it was too big for a vacation home. (I'd rather spend my time on the beach or by the pool rather than cleaning.) We sold it to someone who was living there year round.

We still love Naples, and with our kids soon all off to college and us semi-retiring, we are interested in revisiting Naples. (We would not buy too big though! I've had enough of being a slave to a house.)

What we like about Naples, having learned from our time there, is that while it is a busy area during the season - it's because there is so much to do! There are people our age there (50's) plus younger professionals, older retirees, families - we met lots of people of different ages, professions, incomes, interests, backgrounds.

Just food for thought. Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM

You know, I hear very little that is positive about the East Coast of Florida (as in Boca region). Interesting..
Sarasota has been recommended, but I am now just looking into Naples. A little afraid of a hurricane, but I do understand that can happen anywhere in Florida, really.
Slave to a house? Oh...how I do understand. I want something little, condo maybe and no work at all. I have been there, done that. Never again.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Tootsie (I like the SN), I just replied to your DM.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
You know, I hear very little that is positive about the East Coast of Florida (as in Boca region). Interesting..
Sarasota has been recommended, but I am now just looking into Naples. A little afraid of a hurricane, but I do understand that can happen anywhere in Florida, really.
Slave to a house? Oh...how I do understand. I want something little, condo maybe and no work at all. I have been there, done that. Never again.

Living in Florida just means accepting the wrath of the hurricane gods.

I, personally, love the East Coast, but I also, LOVE New York, which the East Coast is totally more "New York". To me, I came to Florida during the early 1980's to Ft. Lauderdale/the Button and the "East Coast" was FLORIDA...ended up back in-state since the early 1990's on the West Coast...except for downtown SRQ or downtown St. Pete, all areas of which are geared more "tropical" that the other areas of said towns, if you didn't know you were in Florida, you wouldn't think you are.

So many tourists associate Florida with tropical folliage, but all they see are the "resort" areas, not the real towns/cities....and then knock them because they think everything should be beachy...well, it's just not all beach, all day for natives!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I like the Sarasota area better. To me it seems more relaxed and people don't seem as up tight. I must say I got a chuckle reading all the previous posts-very funny opinions.

The question of hurricanes come up quite a bit. I don't think there is one single area that has been hit more than other areas, other than maybe the Keys. If you live in Florida you are not immune to them.

Naples is pretty snooty and reminds me of Boca Raton, IMO. There is the Opera House, many thrift stores and lots of cute little quaint shops in downtown Sarasota . I would go with the Sarasota area.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 8,175 times
Loved reading the previous posts! I am weighing whether to move to St Petersburg area vs. Sarasota. I've lived in both NYC and midwest and need a bit of both for my new FL community - low-key/genuine/unpretentious nature of the midwest with the spark/edge/liveliness of NYC.

Seems like Sarasota might be the right mix! I'm also looking to>>>leave the car at home to walk/cab/bike/trolley to grocery or market for staples, drycleaning, cafes, non-chain restaurants, cultural events/festivals, safe and car-free walking/biking paths or beach walking. Quick car trips with easy parking are ok, too, especially when I'll have shopping loads early on. Home would have a waterview with constant breezes. A good portion of mid-level professional (30s-40s)to pre/early retiree (50s-60s) demographic mixed in with retiree population<<<

Also, since I will be traveling for work around the central part of FL (gulf to atlantic, Sarasota to Daytona longest point), it looks like the highway situation is better from Sarasota - no bridge traffic - and I'd be going against traffic when I need to go out of Sarasota (maybe traffic to Tampa, though?). Better for hurricane evacuation, too?

Here are some questions I had on another post:

Downtown St. Petersburg vs. Downtown Sarasota:
Do you know if there are walk/bike paths right that are accessible from downtown?
Is downtown still safe to walk around when the workforce goes home or does it become a ghosttown?
Would the downtown area be less affected by most hurricane evacuation warnings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida