Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,204,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassauville View Post
I am wondering if my property in unincorporated.does the county have the right to tell me what I can do on it as what i can have on my property .does it make me exempt from county permits and code enforcement
In general the county is likely to have more of a say in an unincorporated areas than on incorporated one. Every inch of Florid is ain a county, but not every inch in in a city or town. So if you are in a city or town you are under the jurisdiction of both the city and the county. If you are in an unincorporated area, you are just under the jurisdiction of the county. With respect to your specifi question, zoning rules are usually dependent on whether you are in a city or town, in which case the zoning rules of that city or twon will apply, or in an unincorporated area in which case the county zoning rules will apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,139,759 times
No where is exempt from the local codes. I live in an unincorporated area called Ormond-by-the-sea. Since we are near the ocean we have high wind speed codes - that is everything must be built to withstand 135mph wind. You cannot replace your roof in Ormond-by-the-sea without the county seeing it and doing three inspections. I had a handyman replace a fence gate and got a notice of violation - for altering my fence without a permit. The result was I had to pay twice as much for the permit. Everything was fine and an inspector OKed the fence alteration.

Folks in the western part of the county are treated differently, friends in areas zoned rural residential think permits are optional and often build outbuildings without permits. In those areas, if your neighbor doesn't complain and a county employee can't see it from the road there may not be code enforcement.

Everywhere has building codes. Enforcement may be uneven.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 436 times
Default Road obstruction permissiblity in unincorporated areas of Florida.

I live in the Florida Highlands, Marion Co. FL. which is unincorporated. A neighbor who lives halfway down my road, and owns 2 properties across from one another, has placed a steel beam surrounded by boulders across our one lane road; thereby closing normal passage down it from each end. Is this permissible? My concern is that many of us are elderly and may need emergency vehicles to arrive in a timely manner which would be impaired by the narrow dirt road and coming in reverse. We also have no fire hydrants so they wouldnt even be able to get enough water transported as well having only one way in. My thanks to all replies.

Last edited by Gatorgranny22; 02-08-2020 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: For further clarity.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
"Desirability will depend on what you are looking for." Actually, I was trying to better understand what the term meant. Not that I am seeking property, etc....at the present moment. Wasn't sure if property that fell into this category was a "bad" area vs. a more desirable/upscale area. I hope this makes sense!

Thanks!
I've always perceived them to be more upscale, so long as its in a suburban setting, and not rural.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 AM

390 posts, read 396,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgranny22 View Post
I live in the Florida Highlands, Marion Co. FL. which is unincorporated. A neighbor who lives halfway down my road, and owns 2 properties across from one another, has placed a steel beam surrounded by boulders across our one lane road; thereby closing normal passage down it from each end. Is this permissible? My concern is that many of us are elderly and may need emergency vehicles to arrive in a timely manner which would be impaired by the narrow dirt road and coming in reverse. We also have no fire hydrants so they wouldnt even be able to get enough water transported as well having only one way in. My thanks to all replies.
I would inquire with Marion County Code Enforcement:

Code Enforcement
2710 E. Silver Springs Blvd.
Ocala, FL 34470
Phone: 352-671-8900
Fax: 352-671-8903
Email
Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

You can also contact them via https://www.marioncountyfl.org/about...de-enforcement.

They may be able to provide assistance or direct you to who can.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:55 AM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
I have properties in unincorporated West Palm Beach, Acreage and Okeechobee county, and the only difference I see between unincorporated and incorporated is that you don't get to elect the county or city mayors, but instead, elect representatives, and if other surrounding representatives want to do something in your area, they all can have a vote against your representative, which can go against your best interest, but be for theirs. I seen this happen when widening roads, extending roads or approving huge gated communities in agriculture areas. We try to block it, but the surrounding representatives tend to have judges in their back pockets to swing their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida