Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 62,024 times

Advertisements

I heard there was a ordinance that will not allow dogs on the beaches in Destin even on a leash. Is this true? I've rented a Penthouse condo and the owner will allow me to have my dog,... but don't want to take him if he's not allowed on the beach with me. Does anyone know what the law is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 AM

440 posts, read 2,425,886 times
You are correct --- no dogs on the beach in Destin. We live in the neighboring county, Walton County -- no pets allowed on our beaches either unless you are a resident. And then you must get a special permit and you are allowed at certain times of the day depending on the season. However, we do have a "Bark Park" but its not on the beach. Personally it's so hot right now, we think your "four legged friend" might be more comfortable at home. Our dog had a heat stroke when we first moved here -- it happens fast -- so if you do bring your "baby" along, make sure to have plenty of water available at all times for the dog.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Talking Swimmers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLady41 View Post
I heard there was a ordinance that will not allow dogs on the beaches in Destin even on a leash. Is this true? I've rented a Penthouse condo and the owner will allow me to have my dog,... but don't want to take him if he's not allowed on the beach with me. Does anyone know what the law is?
Try this site... www.dogfriendly.com there is a link to dog friendly beaches...there are several in Florida......but I would stay out of the fresh water lakes...

Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
This weekend we visited Navarre Beach and many families had their dogs, no one got a ticket or complaint.

This is part of

Gulf Islands National Seashore

Gulf Islands National Seashore
1801 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze,
Florida 32563
850-934-2600
Dogs must be on leash and must be cleaned up after in the camping and trail areas. Dogs are not allowed on beaches or in buildings. This park features hiking, camping, 19th Century forts, and more. Located in Florida and Mississippi.

Bayview Dog Beach
Bayview Dog Beach
In Bayou Texar off E Lloyd Street
Pensacola,
Florida 32503
850-436-5511
This water park for dogs offers pets beach and water fun, and there are benches, picnic tables, trash cans, pooper scooper stations, and a washing station on site. Dogs must be sociable, current on all vaccinations, licensed, and under their owner's control at all times. Dogs must be leashed when not in designated off-lead areas.

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...ensacola.shtml

Options at Destin:
Henderson Beach State Park - Destin, FL
When you're in Destin, be sure to bring your dog to Henderson Beach State Park. The park has more than 6,000 feet of scenic shoreline and a gorgeous beach with pristine white sugar sand and crystal clear emerald-green water.

Dogs aren't allowed on the beach or boardwalk, but they can enjoy the picnic area and nature trail with you on a 6-foot leash. The nature trail begins in the picnic area and winds through the dunes for about a mile before reaching a high dune that developed around the remnants of an old military bunker. From here, you'll have a great view of the park. Come at sunset and you may even spot dolphins playing in the water just offshore at. There's no better way to end a day at the beach.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 61,321 times
Where are there beaches on the coast north of tampa that I can take my dog

Old 02-18-2009, 01:13 PM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
I use to live in Tallahassee and I can tell you that you can rent a vacation home on St. George Island and take your dog on the beach as well as Cape San Blas you can take your dog on the beach and nice thing is both beaches are not crowed like Destin gets so it is enjoyable to walk and play with them on the beach without a lot of other people around. The other beach I have taken my dogs to is St. Augustine beach and that is nice too, only concern is there are some cars allowed to drive with permits so you have to watch for them. I grew up in Daytona Beach area and I'll take dogs vs. cars on the beach any day!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 55,894 times
Default crazy

If your planning a trip anywhere in Walton county Florida to have a good time with your children and your dog, PLAN AGAIN. I had no idea of this bone headed law which does not allow you to bring your dog to the beach, WHO EVER HEARD! You need to file for a permit, but can only do so if you are a resident. I guess if your a resident your dog won't bite anyone or you'll keep it on a leach. I feel discriminated aganist, this is part of my family. I have driven 5 hours and have to leave my dog in the hotel room. I have enjoyed my stay in the beautiful town of Destin, Fl., but don't think I will return to this area, maybe other parts of Florida.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Blame your fellow dog owners who think being on vacation means that they don't have to do the work of cleaning up after their dogs. They're the reason for the rules being as they are.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
I use to live in Tallahassee and I can tell you that you can rent a vacation home on St. George Island and take your dog on the beach as well as Cape San Blas you can take your dog on the beach and nice thing is both beaches are not crowed like Destin gets so it is enjoyable to walk and play with them on the beach without a lot of other people around. The other beach I have taken my dogs to is St. Augustine beach and that is nice too, only concern is there are some cars allowed to drive with permits so you have to watch for them. I grew up in Daytona Beach area and I'll take dogs vs. cars on the beach any day!
Ditto.
Those beaches at Cape San Blas are among the finest anywhere--I used to live there and it was heaven for dogs.
Fortunately, dogs are still welcome here at Amelia Island, too. Cars are allowed just inside the entrance, but that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Blame your fellow dog owners who think being on vacation means that they don't have to do the work of cleaning up after their dogs. They're the reason for the rules being as they are.
Too bad that legislation took the place of people policing themselves, with responsible dog owners (esp people who live there) being penalized for the misdeeds of others.
Poop happens. When I see someone letting their dog poop in my neighborhood or on the beach, I offer them a bag if they do not scoop.
I am not shy about confronting people about this.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Ditto.
Those beaches at Cape San Blas are among the finest anywhere--I used to live there and it was heaven for dogs.
Fortunately, dogs are still welcome here at Amelia Island, too. Cars are allowed just inside the entrance, but that's all.

Too bad that legislation took the place of people policing themselves, with responsible dog owners (esp people who live there) being penalized for the misdeeds of others.
Poop happens. When I see someone letting their dog poop in my neighborhood or on the beach, I offer them a bag if they do not scoop.
I am not shy about confronting people about this.
Ever seen a dog who just spent two hours running in and out of water have a runny stool on the beach? Happens all the time. They also pee in the sand - no way to clean that. I got nothing against sequestering a small portion of beach for you to bring your dog but no way would I like to spend the time lying in that sand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida