Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:18 PM

782 posts, read 759,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
>>I have not heard a Long Island/NYC Fran Drescher'esque accent since moving to SoCal, which I heard on a daily basis in SoFla. No TooJay's or Various Bagel place types either, "is it Kosher?" New Yorker Abrasiveness/Obnoxious factor is non-existent. Insert refreshing change here.

Also where I live, is a mix of affluent and middle income people, I don't see a lot of thugs as what I saw in SoFla.
Also I rarely see police or police cars, aside from the occasional SD County Sheriff or CHP. Not the case in SoFla,

Biggest difference i remember was when I visited LA for the first time in 1989, LA looked amazing to me..when I passed through en route to FL in 1998, there was 'grafilthy' everywhere, on freeway walls, fences.. South FL/Miami are still a lot cleaner than LA and much larger than SD to be compared to that.
I don't live in LA, did you miss that?

1989 was a long time ago, I use to see lot's of Graffiti there on a daily basis. Even in the nice parts.

Also if you take the populated/livable areas of SoFla, you can drop them in San Diego County and have room to spare. That's a plus of living in San Diego County, it's nothing like the sprawl you see in LA or SoFla. If there is vacant land, let's build another strip mall, like there isn't enough already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
The price of housing and rents in California especially the major metro areas in NorCal and SoCal is WAAY higher than Fl. We're talking about $600-800k for modest 3 bedrooms and $1m+ is not at all unusual. Therefore property taxes are higher plus sales taxes are higher plus state income taxes on top of that. Rents $4000 and above are common. Traffic can be a nightmare and in some places smog is still an issue. California is a beautiful state and if you can afford it, it can be a great place. But to say that the cost of living is about the same as FL is simply not the case for most people.
Again you fail to realize there is Florida and there is South Florida, they may be in the same state but they do not have the same cost of living.

Your comments make me laugh as it's what I heard from people before I moved to California probably good as it keeps out the dreamers and let's them go to SoFla instead thinking they will bankroll it with the no state income tax.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
While CA is a pretty state, it is one of the last states I would ever move to...extremely high cost of living in most metro areas, very high taxes, over regulated, and then add things like water issues and earthquake risks, I'll pass! Nice place to
visit, but I'd never want to live there.
More of the same old song and dance, it never get's old. I remember living in FL and trying to defend it without admitting it's faults and downsides, this was not on a forum but with relatives, friends and business relations.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:37 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
To borrow a quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet anyone making FIVE consecutive posts about why they're glad they don't live in Florida " doth protest too much,methinks "

Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Here we go with the "No Income Tax" statement, which is immaterial for many since any gains are eaten up by other high expenses living in SoFla.

Since I'm discussing SoFla which the OP states they live and also where property taxes are very high, and then again FL is higher in total than the national average. Higher than CA $1 to $1.

Income Tax? Well since FL has low wages on average, and relies on Sales Tax & Property Tax Revenue they find other ways to make up for this. My salary here is offset substantially to counter that and I'm saving more money here than in FL based on other lowered expenses.
South fl may be the exception, but at least in central FL, that no income tax thing is important and we end up having lower sales and lower property tax than Texas which also has no income tax.

The higher your salary in FL, the more an income tax elsewhere would affect you at the same salary level.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
To borrow a quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet anyone making FIVE consecutive posts about why they're glad they don't live in Florida " doth protest too much,methinks "
I think its funny that people who leave Florida because they hate it come back on city data and post non stop about how good they have it now Don't think so

Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
I don't live in LA, did you miss that?

1989 was a long time ago, I use to see lot's of Graffiti there on a daily basis. Even in the nice parts.

Also if you take the populated/livable areas of SoFla, you can drop them in San Diego County and have room to spare. That's a plus of living in San Diego County, it's nothing like the sprawl you see in LA or SoFla. If there is vacant land, let's build another strip mall, like there isn't enough already.
Never been to SD but if you go to Google street view you can see grafilthy there too(it's all over CA). Their cities are dirty(maybe Sacramento is the exception being a lot smaller(?), IDK it's been years since I've been there).

And no I said in 1989 LA was clean. When I passed through in 1998(Glendale, on I-5), there was graffiti all along the freeway walls. I can't imagine what it looks like now. South FL is much cleaner by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33F2H1Yvf28

Old 10-25-2016, 08:10 AM

22 posts, read 18,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Something tells me that the OP's issues with Florida aren't the "unfriendliness" or weather.... I think it's the demographics....too white for her
Well you're wrong. Reading is fundamental. Never did I mention anything about race. However, I did mention the fact that as culturally diverse that south Florida is, I haven't seen much co-mingling amongst the different cultures. Go troll and assume somewhere else please.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

You know how it is. They come all glassy eyed and when the plan fails...........

Old 10-25-2016, 08:27 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
You fail to see my point, but you fail to see a lot of things, so I'll let you slide.

I had Jewish friends in SoFla along with Jewish employers so before you claim I'm a "bigot" or "elitist", think twice.

I thought twice before entering my post and based on your posts you give the impression of being a bigot and elitist.

Perhaps if your posts actually presented your point it could be understood

It makes no difference who your friends were. Your posts "No TooJay's or Various Bagel place types either, "is it Kosher?" "

Kosher is a term for foods that conform to the regulations of Jewish dietary law.

Obviously you have a problem with someone asking if food meets their religious dietary requirements.]

Your posts indicate that you also have a disdain for those from New York City. It is too bad that you were unable to assimilate with people from a different region of the U.S. I guess they presented a challenge to you.

An elitist is a person who believes that they are superior to others because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors. "When you mix a high senior population, with a NY/NJ and etc population along with tossing in the League of Nations, mainly Spanish Speaking along with other Caribbean Poor Countries and so on......"

"stuck watching Univision or Telemundo and sticking with their kind."

Sounds elitist to me.

Oh, by the way: My ability to perceive is very well honed as I can see straight through folks like you.

Now run along....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida