Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Connecticut or Florida a better place to raise a family?
Connecticut 43 50.00%
Florida 32 37.21%
Both are good 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Guess which state is the 6th best place to raise a kid? And which one is the 10th worst state to raise a kid?
http://www.aecf.org/m/resourcedoc/ae...ntdatabook.pdf
Aecf looks at it through the prism of child welfare. Illinois is 19 while parents literally worry if their schools will even open.... I'll take Florida all day for that matter over Illinois

Last edited by chopchop0; 06-30-2017 at 02:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 01:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Rural areas of central FL and the panhandle along with northern Florida and Jacksonville are best to raise a family. Small, religious, southern and family oriented. South Florida is too dangerous for children and expensive. Very pretentious as well. People are rude. Same with Connecticut. But CT has better schools but of course taxes are higher.
I dunno if you've ever been to Connecticut, but I question whether this is what they would be looking for.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:24 PM

53 posts, read 51,824 times
Connecticut is a funky state with a mix of New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island which gives it an identity crisis. They're are some beautiful areas but the state has this WASPY/preppy vibe that I don't like. Also, while the suburbs are nice, the cities are awful.

New Jersey is the better choice if you stay up there. It has more of it's own identity and more amenities with better beaches and it's own major league sports. Otherwise, Florida to me offers a lot more than Connecticut other than mountains.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:00 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I grew up in Connecticut, and when my kids were young, we moved to Florida.

There are pros and cons to both. The cultural and educational opportunities in Connecticut are better, for sure. The weather is better in Florida (well, except for the summer). I felt like Connecticut was safer and had fewer creepy people, but that could just be my perception. I live in a safe neighborhood here in Florida, but it seems like there are sex offenders all over the place. The cost of living is better in Florida, but that gap seems to be narrowing. Property taxes in CT are higher; car taxes in FL are non-existent. Schools are undoubtedly better in Connecticut (we homeschool, so that's not an issue). Connecticut has mountain trails and fall foliage; Florida has white-sand beaches and palm trees.

It really just depends on what you want. My gut instinct is that Connecticut is a better place to raise a family, if you can afford it. My dream is to have a summer home up north, and that's what we'll likely do once the kids move out (they're teens now). I'd have loved to have done it when the kids were younger, and we could have with our homeschooling lifestyle (I also work from home), but alas, we could not afford it. I think that would be the best of both worlds.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
). I felt like Connecticut was safer and had fewer creepy people, but that could just be my perception. I live in a safe neighborhood here in Florida, but it seems like there are sex offenders all over the place.
My buddy moved from fl to CT and he feels the exact opposite. He lives in an affordable suburb outside of new haven and data even there he hears gunshots and reads about a lot of crime. Bridgeport and new haven are arguably higher per capita crime places than most anywhere in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida