Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,919 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are both 27 years old, and have been married for 2 years. I am from California, where we both live and work and make about $100k a year. We both have extremely stressful jobs, and want to focus on things we love which include, the beach, latin culture and I enjoy taking acting classes. With my husband having Brazilian roots, and myself being mixed with Puerto Rican we feel as though Florida and possibly Miami would be a great new start for us. What we are afraid of, is find jobs that can support our cost of living and still be able to get the beach and sunny weather with out the stress.

As far as the acting, not so sure Florida is the best place. LA, would seem like a no brainer considering we already live up north (Bay Area) we just don't like the "fakeness". Also our beaches are not as nice as the beaches in Florida. The questions I would like to know are 1.) Which part of Florida would we enjoy a nice young night life 2.) Find decent jobs and affordable housing 3.) Are there any opportunities for actors in any of the florida areas?

Please let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes22 View Post
Hello, my husband and I are both 27 years old, and have been married for 2 years. I am from California, where we both live and work and make about $100k a year. We both have extremely stressful jobs, and want to focus on things we love which include, the beach, latin culture and I enjoy taking acting classes. With my husband having Brazilian roots, and myself being mixed with Puerto Rican we feel as though Florida and possibly Miami would be a great new start for us. What we are afraid of, is find jobs that can support our cost of living and still be able to get the beach and sunny weather with out the stress.

As far as the acting, not so sure Florida is the best place. LA, would seem like a no brainer considering we already live up north (Bay Area) we just don't like the "fakeness". Also our beaches are not as nice as the beaches in Florida. The questions I would like to know are 1.) Which part of Florida would we enjoy a nice young night life 2.) Find decent jobs and affordable housing 3.) Are there any opportunities for actors in any of the florida areas?

Please let me know your thoughts!
Obviously LA is the center of movies and TV. There is some in Miami and to a lesser extent in Orlando. What kind of work do both of you do now? I am assuming that being an actor is not your primary source of income.

My friend worked as an actor, TV production, sound etc. He said there is a lot more in Atlanta( shows like 'Walking Dead' filmed there. Georgia has better tax incentives for filming than Florida at this time) So perhaps Atlanta is a consideration as well, although not a "Latin" city like Miami there may be opportunities there for work and acting. Its a large diverse city. We live near Jacksonville, he is doing sound production work for a local company that does mainly sporting events. He grew up here in Jax and came home for family reasons, so at least he gets to work in TV production

Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
Maybe you could go into politics here. That's where the professional actors are. They're pretty good at pretending to be actual human beings, but don't always carry the part off very well.

Actors go to L.A., New York, that sort of thing. Can't see Florida as a spring board for an acting career.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:23 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Other than acting what do you do for work?

Either way.. it seems obvious you're both into the acting thing..you're young.. why not go to LA or NYC?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
With your age and background, I think Miami would be a great fit for you. Maybe post some specific questions on the Miami forum here for more ideas. Miami isn't cheap, but I do believe it is less expensive than LA, especially depending on neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Right, acting is not something I do as a primary source of income. The move is mainly to experience something new, which would include the warm beaches and latin culture we both long for. I currently work in finance, and I am ok with this although I do enjoy taking side jobs in the entertainment industry for fun. Acting is fun, as well as modeling but again I just do this on the side. I don't believe I would do well in NYC year round as I do not function well in the cold. LA is our second choice, but the beaches there don't do anything for me. I do hear, Atlanta, Chicago as well as New Orleans have several opportunities for acting but I guess I am wondering if Miami is any different?

Another note- The finance office I would be relocating to is in Deerfield beach. Where amongst these areas has the best lively crowds that would be within our age group?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Other than acting what do you do for work?

Either way.. it seems obvious you're both into the acting thing..you're young.. why not go to LA or NYC?
Hi there, No NYC because of the winter weather. I am in finance and have been for about 4 years. Acting and modeling is something I do for fun on the side. Im currently not signed to an agency, but I have a following in my current area now where I get gigs and mainly do them for fun. Not to generate a living.I would not mainly move to Miami to spark up my acting career, however I would like to know what the entertainment industry here is like. Is there one?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
With your age and background, I think Miami would be a great fit for you. Maybe post some specific questions on the Miami forum here for more ideas. Miami isn't cheap, but I do believe it is less expensive than LA, especially depending on neighborhood.

Good luck!
How do I get to the Miami Forum? Sorry I am knew to this. Also the finance office I would be relocating to is in Deerfield beach. Where amongst these areas has the best lively crowds that would be within our age group? Thank you

Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Maybe you could go into politics here. That's where the professional actors are. They're pretty good at pretending to be actual human beings, but don't always carry the part off very well.

Actors go to L.A., New York, that sort of thing. Can't see Florida as a spring board for an acting career.
Thanks, but politics isn't my thing. I am not necessarily looking to "Spring board" my acting career. I am interested in Florida, because I love the beaches and I am simply wondering if anyone has any real information on the acting scene In Florida. Studios, agencies are they credible. Are there any at all worth mentioning. There are many acting studios as well as agencies in SF, bay area.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Obviously LA is the center of movies and TV. There is some in Miami and to a lesser extent in Orlando. What kind of work do both of you do now? I am assuming that being an actor is not your primary source of income.

My friend worked as an actor, TV production, sound etc. He said there is a lot more in Atlanta( shows like 'Walking Dead' filmed there. Georgia has better tax incentives for filming than Florida at this time) So perhaps Atlanta is a consideration as well, although not a "Latin" city like Miami there may be opportunities there for work and acting. Its a large diverse city. We live near Jacksonville, he is doing sound production work for a local company that does mainly sporting events. He grew up here in Jax and came home for family reasons, so at least he gets to work in TV production
Hi there, yes LA is the mega dome of acting and TV. However, many production companies are moving out of Hollywood, into areas such as Atlanta, Chicago and New orleans. Miami is rumored to be a hot new area full of opportunity which is mainly why I started this blog.

For a living I am in finance, and one of the offices I am considering moving to is deerfield beach. My husband and I have been to Del Rey beac and we really liked it however, many blogs I have read said it is a hot spot for retirement. I don't know much about the area or whats around it. Please let me know if you have any recommendations, as far as the cost of living, exciting areas with activities, and a nice night life social scene.

Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida