Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

So, not really familiar with Florida. Flying into Orlando, will see niece. Sister is in Ocala. Last year I spent a little time in Orlando, went to Ocala, back to Orland, visit more, fly out. While in Ocala went to...Cedar Key? for a day.

This year I will be there a week, 2 days of that flying in and out. I haven't booked a ticket yet, want to do that tomorrow so I could extend that a day or two. Probably heading out the 16th through 23rd of Jan, or whatever days that show up after the 16th or so that are cheapest. (Yesterday when I looked it seemed that a flight for 205 was cheapest).

I would like to head south for a few days? on a west coast beach. I want to both bird watch and just hangout out on some beach and blast some sun into my eyeballs, maybe do some wading. The gray days of north bother me more than the cold.

I love Randy White's Dr. Ford series for the descriptions of the plants and organisms and fish there around Sanibel. The idea of wading around like he does, maybe a little tame not to strenuous kayak or boating to see some birds or wildlife. I'm 60, far far from beach bunny status in both age and body and am really interested in birds and wildlife. I have heard about Ding Ding Darling at Sanibel. I just don't know if Sanibel is doable without far ahead reservations, whether there is some other place that is better but less known?
Not particularly interested in crowds, shopping, fancy restaurants, sights, or any of that. Natural wildlifereserves, state parks etc. are usually on my agenda, not going to camp though

Hoping to get some recommendations of a place to aim for where the amount of drive doesn't eat up all the leisure time. Otherwise maybe I'd head for the Keys as I would love to see that someday but it seems like a long drive and you probably have to book way in advance.

Recommendations for area, hotels, travel tips, all welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Have you checked out Tripadvisor?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:49 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
This isnt a beach, but you might enjoy it:

This is a good facebook page about it:
https://www.facebook.com/lakeapopkawildlifedrive/

Their website:
Recreation Guide to District Lands: Lake Apopka North Shore

This is a closed group you might want to join. Some of the photographers here are amazing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lakeapopkawd/

Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Sanibel is a few hours drive from Orlando.. Since you will be in Orlando and Ocala area consider Clearwater, Cocoa Beach and New Smyrna Beach. If you are interested in more of a Natural beach between NSB and Cocoa Beach there is the Cape Canaveral National Seashore which can be accessed from a couple different points.

The Atlantic is maybe 45-60 min from Orlando, Clearwater is 90-120 minutes from Orlando

Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Yes, I've done and plan to do the Lake Apopka wildlife dr.

Have been to Merritt National Wildlife Refuge on the Atlantic and it is awesome.
Coco and I'm assuming Clearwater etc. are on the Atlantic.

Would like to check out the Gulf side.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I love Randy White's Dr. Ford series for the descriptions of the plants and organisms and fish there around Sanibel. The idea of wading around like he does, maybe a little tame not to strenuous kayak or boating to see some birds or wildlife. I'm 60, far far from beach bunny status in both age and body and am really interested in birds and wildlife. I have heard about Ding Ding Darling at Sanibel. I just don't know if Sanibel is doable without far ahead reservations, whether there is some other place that is better but less known?
Not particularly interested in crowds, shopping, fancy restaurants, sights, or any of that. Natural wildlifereserves, state parks etc. are usually on my agenda, not going to camp though
Sanibel is over 3 hours from Orlando and longer in traffic. However, it's a very pretty island. You didn't mention a budget. After Dec 1, the prices soar, but you can still find a cozy cottage on or across from the beach for a reasonable price. This is probably the best place to find accommodations on Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

[url]https://sanibel-captiva.org/[/url]

Keep in mind that although it's winter, it can still get cold, although it will always be much warmer than in most areas of the country.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:43 PM

216 posts, read 271,700 times
Quote:

Have been to Merritt National Wildlife Refuge on the Atlantic and it is awesome.

Home - Shoreline Island Resort

That is going to be your best bet for a cheap, very clean, quiet place to see the gulf. Adults only too so don't have to worry about kids running around and screaming. About a 2 hour drive from Orlando.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:

Clearwater is on the Gulf. Its in Pinellas County just west of Tampa

Old 12-27-2016, 02:39 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Clearwater is on the Gulf. Its in Pinellas County just west of Tampa
The Clearwater Beach area is beautiful. If you're looking for a more nature-inspired experience check out Honeymoon Island.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Honeymoon-Island

Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
Im Florida, at 60 you're still a beach bunny babe. The beaches in St Pete Beach are nice, but they're generally more tourist orientated, and not secluded like you're looking for. Maybe Clearwater?

If you have the money and time, go on down to the Caribbean. At 60, how many more chances will you get? My trip to St Thomas from 30 years ago still feels like it happened yesterday because those beaches and that gorgeous water were so incredible. I would like to see them again very much. Tortola has beaches that are pristine because you have to walk on a trail or anchor your boat by them. There is no other access. Anywhere in The Keys would be great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida