Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
It seems that both teams have a great fan base. However it seems that Seminoles has more fans here down south.
I saw that Jimbo got into it with a heckling fan after losing to Louisville.

I posted earlier that I am a Gator with graduate degrees from both UF and FSU.

With that said, I think that FSU fan is overreacting. FSU won a championship very
recently. By contrast, Notre Dame has not won one since 1988. And that one was
tainted by allegations of steroid abuse by a former player (just google
"Steve Huffman" + "Notre Dame" + "steroids"). There was a major SI vault article on
it that was easy to google, but I think ND saw that link floating around the internet and
had it removed. But there are other links.

So don't sweat it FSU. At least you're not Notre Dame. To be fair, the Gators have
been struggling too. But that's why it's a good idea to root for multiple sports.
Florida won the baseball championship last summer. Softball has won multiple recently for the Gators.

Meanwhile, Coach Kelly at Notre Dame is on the line today. ND needs to beat USC to get into the playoffs.
But the Pac-12 has been giving ND major upsets in games like that for the past decade. ND's "glory" is
lost in the 70s when they truly won championships without steroids - the era of Dan Devine.

That was so long ago I'll bet the average millennial doesn't even know of Coach Devine. "Who was that guy?"

FSU fans are kind of spoiled compared to Notre Dame's numbed-out fan base longing for the echoes of the mid to late-middle 1900s.

I Accept That Notre Dame is "Irrelevant" Again - Her Loyal Sons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:32 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
It seems that both teams have a great fan base. However it seems that Seminoles has more fans here down south.
Right now, it may be that UCF is the best team in the state. The "War on I-4" is actually the main in-state match-up of the season.

FSU is doing horrible. Florida fired the coach. Miami is undefeated but doesn't have the dominance of
other teams. So it actually seems like UCF is the hot team right now for Florida. It's really ironic this year.

Realistically, FSU and UF are down only temporarily. Miami may also go on all cylinders once the CFP gets closer to selection. The FSU-UF game this year is really deflated, but in the next 3-5 years I wouldn't be surprised if at least one is back in the CFP.

For now, UCF and Miami get the spotlight. But I still say "Go Gators!". The Gators did win the baseball championship last summer. Football is not the only sport.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Right now, it may be that UCF is the best team in the state. The "War on I-4" is actually the main in-state match-up of the season.

FSU is doing horrible. Florida fired the coach. Miami is undefeated but doesn't have the dominance of
other teams. So it actually seems like UCF is the hot team right now for Florida. It's really ironic this year.

Realistically, FSU and UF are down only temporarily. Miami may also go on all cylinders once the CFP gets closer to selection. The FSU-UF game this year is really deflated, but in the next 3-5 years I wouldn't be surprised if at least one is back in the CFP.

For now, UCF and Miami get the spotlight. But I still say "Go Gators!". The Gators did win the baseball championship last summer. Football is not the only sport.
Agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida