Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

455 posts, read 771,293 times

Advertisements

The Top 10 most dangerous metro areas in the country for pedestrians, according to new detailed report.

These numbers seem staggering compared to other large metro areas. What are some of the key reasons Florida is so dangerous for pedestrians besides poorly designed streets, lack of walkable sidewalks, and having a large elderly population.

1)Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Florida
2) Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Florida
3) Orlando-Kissimmee-Sandford, Florida
4)Jacksonville, Florida
5)Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, Florida
6)Lakeland-Winter Haven, Florida
7)Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida
8)Jackson, Mississippi
9)Memphis, Tennessee
10) North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area ranked 11th overall.

https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
We have lots of tourists in the FL cities listed.

We have numerous "distracted drivers".

There is nothing wrong with the streets, its the people driving on them.

Only about 20 percent of the population is over 65, 4 million out of 20 million.

I'd venture to say the FL locations have higher tourist and senior populations than a lot of other areas in the state.

It also should be noticed the list has high population count locations.

]===
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Dog View Post
The Top 10 most dangerous metro areas in the country for pedestrians, according to new detailed report.

These numbers seem staggering compared to other large metro areas. What are some of the key reasons Florida is so dangerous for pedestrians besides poorly designed streets, lack of walkable sidewalks, and having a large elderly population.

1)Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Florida
2) Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Florida
3) Orlando-Kissimmee-Sandford, Florida
4)Jacksonville, Florida
5)Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach, Florida
6)Lakeland-Winter Haven, Florida
7)Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida
8)Jackson, Mississippi
9)Memphis, Tennessee
10) North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area ranked 11th overall.

https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/

Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,633 times
Every year!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
The FDOT should be charged with accomplice vehicular manslaughter the way they have designed roads in Florida for decades.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/yh...5b18de893c3939

Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 PM

455 posts, read 771,293 times
"QUOTE-Spring Hillian"

Only about 20 percent of the population is over 65, 4 million out of 20 million.

I'd venture to say the FL locations have higher tourist and senior populations than a lot of other areas in the state.

We have numerous "distracted drivers" AKA drunk drivers, tourists & snowbirds, and steering with the knees while texting types- Yes Florida has plenty of these

Only about 20 percent of the population is over 65, 4 million out of 20 million. The data seems to show that minorities and older adults are disproportionately represented in these fatalities.

I'd venture to say the FL locations have higher tourist and senior populations than a lot of other areas in the state. Absolutely, especially in Orlando, Miami, and Tampa/Sarasota....But all the top cities listed seem to be located either in Florida or other areas of the South, none out West where we have a very large population of Hispanics who walk or ride bikes and don't drive cars, we also have a growing population of lower income seniors who walk as well.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
We have lots of tourists in the FL cities listed.

It also should be noticed the list has high population count locations.

]===
It has nothing to do with distracted drivers, age of drivers and population counts. It has to do with transportation planning and road construction where traffic lights are geared entirely toward vehicular traffic, unlawful speeding and a general lack of crosswalks or even sidewalks. Cities with much larger populations in other states don't have that infrastructure issue and as a result aren't anywhere near the fatalities/accidents we have here. This article below nails it pretty well..

Florida Again Found Most Dangerous Place for Pedestrians - The New York Times

Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Most on that list do not surprise me; but I am surprised to see Lakeland on that list. We lived in Lakeland for two years and I thought it was just about the most pedestrian and bike friendly place I had ever seen in Florida. It puts almost every other city to shame, really. Lots of sidewalks and bike trails. And it is not heavy on the senior population or even a big tourist area, either. So I wonder what's up with that??

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Inebriated drivers indeed! Its not easy to keep a vehicle on the right part of the road when you see two roads.

FL needs to pass a law that allows only hands free devices while driving. Its not the ultimate solution but it does help. Oh,and none of that "secondary violation" garbage where you have to be stopped for a reason besides using a device while driving.

I havent seen the demographic breakdowns on accidents but I will look into that.

I think that these studies vary in their results because they dont all use the same metrics.
For instance...
California is the worst state for drivers - Dec. 13, 2016

Hitting the road for the holidays? These states have the worst drivers

The 10 Most Dangerous States for Pedestrians - 24/7 Wall St.

The Worst Places to Be a Pedestrian

Traffic accidents are a problem everywhere, its not a unique situation but it surely needs to change. Too many wasted lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Dog View Post
"QUOTE-Spring Hillian"

We have numerous "distracted drivers" AKA drunk drivers, tourists & snowbirds, and steering with the knees while texting types- Yes Florida has plenty of these

Only about 20 percent of the population is over 65, 4 million out of 20 million. The data seems to show that minorities and older adults are disproportionately represented in these fatalities.

I'd venture to say the FL locations have higher tourist and senior populations than a lot of other areas in the state. Absolutely, especially in Orlando, Miami, and Tampa/Sarasota....But all the top cities listed seem to be located either in Florida or other areas of the South, none out West where we have a very large population of Hispanics who walk or ride bikes and don't drive cars, we also have a growing population of lower income seniors who walk as well.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
I think it has more to do with these types of crosswalks than anything else.

Trying to walk to the mall, which is directly North of this caption? Be prepared to cross 10 lanes of jam-packed traffic with nowhere to stop in between. Once you make it across, you have yet another lane to cross, this time it being a VERY busy turning lane.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
No surprise. Another reason to not live in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida