Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:09 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

This will be really popular with tourists, especially the ones from overseas where rail travel is much liked while bus travel is the opposite. I personally would much rather travel by rail then bus. I think this project will do fine because the stations are well located and not out in the boondocks of each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
I'm not liking the preliminary numbers. A bus, as another poster mentioned, seems better at these rates.

I usually only fly first class, so I would be their target market for business tickets... and I wouldn't spend $143 for a business class ticket, one way, on a 3 hour train ride to Orlando.

I would imagine regular fares would be in the $40 - $65 range. I guess if you are a tourist without a car? But for us locals, seems rather useless. To take my family of 4 to Orlando, public transportation would be WAY too expensive. May as well just drive.

So yeah, other than disrupting traffic 12 times per day on US1, what value is this train service? Such a shame, I was kind of excited about it.

They advertised prices much cheaper than flying and comparable to driving.... I guess for a single rider that could be "close" to true. $20 in gas plus what $15 in tolls.... $35 each way. But not for families.

You can get a round trip first class ticket on Red Coach for $52 with a killer seat. It's only about an hour longer than train and includes transportation to your hotel, so that saves you from the train station as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida