Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We are originally from NY. Yes, I know all about the vacationers, including all the skiers, since we used to vacation there years ago. All year is "Season". We had a hard time last week getting a hotel room (skiers and MLK weekend), but it is nothing in comparison to Naples in Season. Anyone who lives here knows what I mean. Naples epitomizes Season for (rich) Seniors and everything that goes with it. Plus, we want to be closer to our children and grandkids who still live in NY.

I am sick and tired of flying and driving almost 30 hours several times a year to go see them. After all that a 2 hour drive is nothing in comparison. As my husband said, "Moving will be the very last time we have to make this drive ever again, Thank God". I agree. February 14th is our Grandson's First Birthday and we will be right there in the area. Yes, Yes, Yes.

As I said on previous post, if you are a parent and you hear your children crying on the phone, "Daddy's going to die (heart attack) and I can't get a flight to Florida", well, I NEVER want to be in that situation again. Our daughter had to fly from NY to MINNESOTA and connect to Florida. She was terrified she was not going to get here in time. For warm weather and beaches? Worth it? When we were buying our house here in Naples, the majority of sellers were old people in poor health moving back North to be closer to their kids and grandkids. We aren't alone in this respect.

My husband's heart attack was the catalyst in our move. We MUST go now.
When the time comes that you face your own mortality, it will truly reveal what's most important to you. Sometimes that's not sun and sand. Best to you and your family and many happy memories ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 PM

197 posts, read 199,550 times
Moving for health reasons is totally understandable. Best of luck to you, and please when you leave pass by Miami and take an illegal with you!

Old 02-28-2017, 05:49 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
Moving for health reasons is totally understandable. Best of luck to you, and please when you leave pass by Miami and take an illegal with you!
My ancestors were illegal "Dirty" Irish Catholic immigrants from Northern Ireland in the 1840's
who were put on a ship to America to do the work that Americans wouldn't do: work in the West Point Foundry. They left Northern Ireland to escape Religious (Christian) Persecution. How different from today?

When my Great-Great-Grandfather was killed in a work accident (no Government Workman's Comp), my Great-Grandfather (Anchor Baby) left the West Point Foundry School at the age of 15 (!!!), lied about his age, and enlisted in the Civil War under the Conscription Act, which meant that he took the place of a RICH MAN's SON (hhmm) in order to support his Mother and Siblings. He was shot in the leg and received a Government Pension. Oh NO! His one saving grace in today's world was that he and his family spoke "'Merican".

Immigrants built this country, as every American Genealogist knows! Never forget THAT. Sorry, to get OT, but needs to be addressed.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
So, Jo48, have you gotten settled and are you loving your new home and being within easy driving distance of your children and grandchildren?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:05 PM

174 posts, read 207,282 times
I hope you have a nice time in Florida

Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 PM

163 posts, read 208,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Intelligence View Post
Im sure you want to go pick the fruit and do the landscaping when they're all gone,, huh?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I left Florida, I loved it but I could not take the heat and humidity anymore. Florida is for a special kind of person, it a great state for some, not so much for others.
How long did you last before you couldn't hack the heat and humidity in Florida? We've visited Florida, doing 'scouting' visits in different areas, but mostly in the winters. We did one 'scouting' visit last August for 10 days, and are planning another 'scouting' visit this coming summer to experience the heat and humidity. I'm stuck working for another 30 months, so we can't spend longer visits to Florida yet. I'm sure at some point in time, the heat and humidity might start to get to you when it's non-stop, every day for about 5 months straight without a break.

We get hot and humid weather in Minnesota in the summer, frequently hotter than Florida and humid, but not as humid as it gets in Florida. Maybe we'd feel the same way after putting up with the heat and humidity for 5 months straight, non-stop. Sometimes we have a month straight, but usually there's a break from the heat and humidity after a few days to a week. There are times where you have to spray yourself down with mosquito repellent, which stinks, so you can go out in the back yard and do things without being chewed up by the large, aggressive mosquitoes in Minnesota in the summertime. The mosquitoes can be a problem for a couple months in the summers in Minnesota, which essentially makes the summers even shorter when you want decent weather without a lot of mosquitoes. You also have to check yourself for woodticks, especially the smaller ones that carry Lyme disease, which can really screw up your health. Fortunately, the Lyme disease problems in Minnesota aren't as bad as they have in Wisconsin.

So far, on our short Florida summertime visiting, we can hack the heat and humidity. It's not that bad before 10 AM, and sometimes as late as 11 AM. Mid-day, it's pretty bad, we only spent 5 to 10 minutes walking from the AC in stores to the AC the car to the AC in the rental home. Then after 6 PM to 7 PM, it's not too humid for us.

In Minnesota, its cold, snowy, and crappy weather 24 x 7 for about 7 months out of the year. The winters aren't as cold and snowy as they used to be in Minnesota in the past 20 years, thanks to the climate change, compared to 20 to 60 years ago. But I'm less tolerant of the crappy, cold weather, living in Minnesota my whole life. So, maybe we'll have to be snowbirds or take several vacations in cooler areas in the summers. We can afford to do that when we're retired, if we can't hack the heat and humidity in Florida on a longer term basis.

The big advantage to Florida is the no state income tax. The Minnesota income taxes are horrible if you have money. It's great if you're a freeloader sucking benefits of the welfare system, willing to live at a lower standard of living, and too lazy to work. Some people are actually handicapped or disabled, but there are a lot of freeloading flakers in Minnesota, and a lot of our tax dollars are being transferred to those freeloaders. If the auto insurance actually costs $3K to $4K for two cars in Florida, that would be annoying. The home insurance is expensive in Florida too. But we'd save a lot more money not paying state income taxes on the retirement income stream from pensions, social security, and pre-tax retirement accounts withdrawals.

I hope life is better for you moving back north. I'm sure Florida isn't for everyone. We'll find out how it is for us on a long term basis in less than 3 years.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Keep in mind. 20 million people call this place home. I know Ive never said "Gee, I wish it was a little more hot and humid". Its the climate in this part of the country and its been the same for a very long time. The weather hasnt affected population growth in the region.

Would you move to Maine or Minnesota if you could didnt enjoy cold weather?

If you worry it will be too hot too long a change in plan may be needed.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The states auto insurance average is around 1,700 a year. Fl is, I believe 4th highest in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
How long did you last before you couldn't hack the heat and humidity in Florida? We've visited Florida, doing 'scouting' visits in different areas, but mostly in the winters. We did one 'scouting' visit last August for 10 days, and are planning another 'scouting' visit this coming summer to experience the heat and humidity. I'm stuck working for another 30 months, so we can't spend longer visits to Florida yet. I'm sure at some point in time, the heat and humidity might start to get to you when it's non-stop, every day for about 5 months straight without a break.

We get hot and humid weather in Minnesota in the summer, frequently hotter than Florida and humid, but not as humid as it gets in Florida. Maybe we'd feel the same way after putting up with the heat and humidity for 5 months straight, non-stop. Sometimes we have a month straight, but usually there's a break from the heat and humidity after a few days to a week. There are times where you have to spray yourself down with mosquito repellent, which stinks, so you can go out in the back yard and do things without being chewed up by the large, aggressive mosquitoes in Minnesota in the summertime. The mosquitoes can be a problem for a couple months in the summers in Minnesota, which essentially makes the summers even shorter when you want decent weather without a lot of mosquitoes. You also have to check yourself for woodticks, especially the smaller ones that carry Lyme disease, which can really screw up your health. Fortunately, the Lyme disease problems in Minnesota aren't as bad as they have in Wisconsin.

So far, on our short Florida summertime visiting, we can hack the heat and humidity. It's not that bad before 10 AM, and sometimes as late as 11 AM. Mid-day, it's pretty bad, we only spent 5 to 10 minutes walking from the AC in stores to the AC the car to the AC in the rental home. Then after 6 PM to 7 PM, it's not too humid for us.

In Minnesota, its cold, snowy, and crappy weather 24 x 7 for about 7 months out of the year. The winters aren't as cold and snowy as they used to be in Minnesota in the past 20 years, thanks to the climate change, compared to 20 to 60 years ago. But I'm less tolerant of the crappy, cold weather, living in Minnesota my whole life. So, maybe we'll have to be snowbirds or take several vacations in cooler areas in the summers. We can afford to do that when we're retired, if we can't hack the heat and humidity in Florida on a longer term basis.

The big advantage to Florida is the no state income tax. The Minnesota income taxes are horrible if you have money. It's great if you're a freeloader sucking benefits of the welfare system, willing to live at a lower standard of living, and too lazy to work. Some people are actually handicapped or disabled, but there are a lot of freeloading flakers in Minnesota, and a lot of our tax dollars are being transferred to those freeloaders. If the auto insurance actually costs $3K to $4K for two cars in Florida, that would be annoying. The home insurance is expensive in Florida too. But we'd save a lot more money not paying state income taxes on the retirement income stream from pensions, social security, and pre-tax retirement accounts withdrawals.

I hope life is better for you moving back north. I'm sure Florida isn't for everyone. We'll find out how it is for us on a long term basis in less than 3 years.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Immigrants built this country, as every American Genealogist knows! Never forget THAT. Sorry, to get OT, but needs to be addressed.
I couldn't agree more!! Thank you for bringing it up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida