Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times

Advertisements

Publix is extremely overpriced. It's a store for people that are deluded or for those that don't care about what they spend. Publix has the largest profit margins of all grocery chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 06:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
There subs are awesome. I actually prefer Publix to say...winn dixie. Publix staff are always nice.

OP, I got your little joke You are going to get many varied comments on Publix. I agree with you though

Old 02-05-2017, 12:37 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and largely alternate between Fresh Market, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. If Fresh Market carried a better variety of pastured meats and organic veggies I would probably shop there exclusively, since it's most convenient for me. I occasionally shop at Publix if pressed for time but in the end small difference in cost when buying organics there isn't worth it due to selection and quality.
Fresh Market looks great on the surface, but then when you look closer the quality of the products don't seem to justify the higher price tags because the variety of hormone free, organic, all natural etc products are quite limited even though it looks like a place that would serve mostly organic or at least all natural products. It's a nice place nonetheless.

I'm pretty fortunate to have Trader Joes within 5 minutes from my house and Whole Foods a little over 10 minutes from my house. I do most of my shopping at Trader Joes, but I do like to go to Whole Foods for meats and veggies. Whole Foods sometimes has really good sales especially on meat.

Oh and I also do a lot of shopping at Costco, but that's mostly house products, wine etc. They sometimes have really good seafood thougj like wild caught prawns with shell or wild caught whole snapper for incredibly cheap prices. They also have been getting a lot more organic products. Compared to the one back in SF, it's limited in comparison, but still offers more than Publix.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Publix can be on the expensive side with produce which I find although often competitively priced, not as fresh and often it goes bad before I can use it....with boxed and bagged salad greens especially. I'd rather pay a little bit more at Fresh Market or Trader Joe's and not have to throw half (or all of it) out.
I actually find aldi and trader Joe's produce to be worse than publix, personally.

Fresh market has good sales but their regularly proves conventional produce and prepared foods can be higher robbery, like wfm is.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't understand the love of Publix. It doesn't offer much organic, natural or local products and snacks. The prices aren't really cheap. It sells the same junk as Safeway etc. The seafood department is very limited. Not many options for wild caught products. Overall, it's the same as Safeway in my opinion.

I love Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
Is there a safeway in fl?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Publix BOGOs on non-perishable items you normally use can save you money. BOGO in the bakery department is just temptation
And they are also timely BOGOs....picked up Franks's Hot Sauce (for wings) and blue cheese dressing (for celery and carrots) right before Super Bowl.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:23 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
We like Publix but even the BOGO's can be overpriced.Yesterday they had a two for one chardonnay for $17,95 and I Googled it up for $11.95 so you would save a couple of bucks but certainly not the 18 bucks that was advertised.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I actually find aldi and trader Joe's produce to be worse than publix, personally.

Fresh market has good sales but their regularly proves conventional produce and prepared foods can be higher robbery, like wfm is.
Most of Trader Joes' bread is subpar as well - goes bad before the expiry date...

Old 02-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Publix is extremely overpriced. It's a store for people that are deluded or for those that don't care about what they spend. Publix has the largest profit margins of all grocery chains.
From Forbes - "As best we can tell, Publix is the most profitable grocery chain in the nation: Its net margins, 5.6% in 2012, trounced Wal-Mart's (3.8%), as well as those of every public competitor, ranging from mass market Kroger (1.6%) to hoity-toity Whole Foods (3.9%)." Jul 24, 2013

Note it's not like they are making 20% profit, just best in class. Obviously they are doing something right and I appreciate friendly people and a clean well-stocked store.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We like Publix but even the BOGO's can be overpriced.Yesterday they had a two for one chardonnay for $17,95 and I Googled it up for $11.95 so you would save a couple of bucks but certainly not the 18 bucks that was advertised.
So if you only want one it's overpriced, but a good deal for 2. Impulse buying on BOGO at any store will have you spending more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida