Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

I'm all for governments getting funds from people who break the law. I would rather government get fundig from people running red lights, illegally parking, speeding, etc than having a broad tax increase that applies to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm all for governments getting funds from people who break the law. I would rather government get fundig from people running red lights, illegally parking, speeding, etc than having a broad tax increase that applies to everyone.
You speed every day you drive, I can bet on it. Just about everyone does and everyone has.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Except for when the law changes for a red light cam....yellows should not shortened, ppl should not get ticketed for stopping close enough to get a look at the oncoming traffic etc

Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Not stopping or rolling stops are illegal. The problem that I know of a specific intersection in Fort Lauderdale with a red light ticket cam is that you need to roll forward and there is a bend in that lane to turn right. So there are more chances to get a ticket. If you stopped and then rolled forward to get a look at traffic to see when it's safe to go you might get a ticket.
Thanks for confirming what I thought or hoped about FL and red lights and right turns

Now that one is bad for sure.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
The red light camera companies have 24 lobbyists and millions of dollars to spread around for 're-election committees'. Looks like enough money was spread through out the FL Senate Transportation committee. They killed the red light camera ban bill and won't let the full senate vote on the bill. [Bill was passed in the House]
The revenue generating cameras will continue to collect cash.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
You speed every day you drive, I can bet on it. Just about everyone does and everyone has.
Sure I speed and if I get caught I accept responsibility. It's better that then to tax everyone each month.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:34 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The red light camera companies have 24 lobbyists and millions of dollars to spread around for 're-election committees'. Looks like enough money was spread through out the FL Senate Transportation committee. They killed the red light camera ban bill and won't let the full senate vote on the bill. [Bill was passed in the House]
The revenue generating cameras will continue to collect cash.
What has to happen is these politicians who are being bought off need to be voted right out of office, that's the only power the people have against these crooks.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
What has to happen is these politicians who are being bought off need to be voted right out of office, that's the only power the people have against these crooks.
But they will support other "feel good" laws and the people will vote them back into office. They know how to do it.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Sure I speed and if I get caught I accept responsibility. It's better that then to tax everyone each month.
I do like a lot of your posts, but understand you are a bit naive about this one.

Red Light Cameras are NOT designed to make money off actual law breakers. Let me reword, they DO catch some red light runners and give them tickets, but the program would be a total failure if that's all it did.

What actually happened is this: Traffic engineers focus on moving as much traffic as possible, and yellow light timing as short as possible but still safe. In the actual traffic engineering handbook, the timing is setup KNOWING some people will be stuck in a "dilemma zone" (unsure whether to continue through or hit the brakes) - and a certain percentage will technically go through just as the light changes. There is an "all red" for at least 1 second to deal with this. Quite literally, the light timing is engineered for decent, honest people to run red lights by a fraction of a second. It's a non-safety issue. This was all fine and dandy before cameras.

So what do cities do? Give them all tickets!! Automated it... it's an ATM! Red Light Cameras are not about actual people who blast through red lights dangerously, heck, this person gets a ticket a month later and probably doesn't even remember it happening... plus the ticket goes to the car owner, not necessarily the driver... so what does that have to do with safety? These cameras are about taking advantage of innocent people as a means of generating revenue. And when you engineer the system to create lots of "law breakers" - you get lots of revenue.

Now, how do you generate more revenue? Shorten the yellow light!! Not only have cities been busted doing this blatantly, but consider after the red light cameras were allowed in the State.... the State then passed an update to the traffic engineering requirements for yellow light timing. It used to be that you set your yellow lights based on the ACTUAL average speed of traffic on the road... regardless of speed limit. Now we all know that speed limits are artificially low and traffic always moves safely above this. But now that red light cameras are approved, how do you get more revenue? Well, by changing the rules - thank the lobbyists. Yellow light timing requirements were changed to be based on the posted speed limit - which is ALWAYS slower than actual traffic flow speeds.

Consider that the government literally made intersections more dangerous, more deadly, and is using the red light camera program to rip off innocent, decent people.

It goes deeper and it's all disturbing.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Is turning right after stopping at a Red Light illegal in FL???????????????????

Or just not stopping and turning?
It is illegal but with out the cams the odds of enforcement are slim to none and unless its a congested area you can check for traffic without coming to a complete stop. I think the traffic laws need to change because sometimes coming to complete stop makes it so that you can no longer make the turn. If I am going to have to come to a complete stop then I am going to do something else like check my email or text someone, especially if I missed an opening because I had to come to a complete stop. Just not worth it to sit there with my head turned watching a stream of traffic knowing I could have made it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida