Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: job market, transplants, education improvement,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanmom View Post
Just curious as to where you and the others that LOVE Florida live.
The Florida boards have definitely changed my view of moving to Fl., I havent heard many positives and have become downright scared! (our choices are Ga., NC, or Fl., from NJ).Please tell me where those of you who say you LOVE IT live, and where you came from!
Thanks!
That's a very good question. Also it would be interesting to know of those who are loving it here sooooo much, if they are retired. I'm noticing some of the retirees are not having to deal with some of the problems the working bunch of us do because they're just in a different situation and even cheaper areas. I'm in Pinellas btw, the most densely populated county in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Please tell me where those of you who say you LOVE IT live, and where you came from!

Elanmom, Please realize that most of the negatives are coming from a few people. Most Floridians don't even realize this board exists! I found it completely by accident and the majority of the people here are here because they are researching to move to Florida or away from Florida.

I live in Orlando. I grew up on South Carolina, have lived in Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and California. I'll take Florida over any of them - any day. I was BORED silly in Georgia, the Carolinas and Tennessee and while the cost of living may be lower - the quality of living and the opportunities are also MUCH lower. I currently have relatives living in both South Carolina and Georgia. Talking about not being able to find jobs and crime problems. In my mom's hometown of 7000 they have had a murder or armed robbery every week for the past several months - right in public - right downtown in the middle of the day most of the time. My mom has known everyone of the victims - one was her next door neighbor! My brother lives in a small town in Georgia. There are few jobs to be had. All the high school graduates move in order to find work. He is a pastor and most of his congregation live below the poverty level. Many of the ones who do have jobs have to commute to construction jobs in Hilton Head.

Those who talk about Florida being unaffordable should try California!! While it was a gorgeous state - it was also too different culturally for DH and I as we were born and raised in the south.

Florida was a good mix for us. There is always lots to do, DH and I have been blessed with good jobs and make much more than we could make in comparable jobs in other southern states - my husband's job wouldn't even exist in most places. He is a musician/composer/arranger. To be near places such as Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc. is his life blood. I am a school music supervisor. We both still work and are many years from retirement. When we retire, we MAY consider moving to a slower paced area - perhaps the mountains of East Tennessee - but for now Orlando is it for us.

We have also been blessed with a beautiful home, great neighbors, loving friends, a wonderful church family and jobs we enjoy. While we are not rich and don't splurge alot of money on expensive vacations, expensive cars, etc. We really don't need to - after all we live in the vacation capitol of the world. God has blessed us with all we need right here in this place.

My advice is to do your homework - check out jobs in the area and the cost of living and then if it is still your dream - GO For IT! Do not believe those who say there is crime around every corner, etc. I've lived here for 23 years and NEVER been the victim of any crime nor has anyone I know.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:50 PM

22 posts, read 72,294 times
Thumbs up Good Points, Pianogal

"Elanmom, Please realize that most of the negatives are coming from a few people. Most Floridians don't even realize this board exists! I found it completely by accident and the majority of the people here are here because they are researching to move to Florida or away from Florida."

Thanks, that is what I keep telling myself when I see so much negative. The Florida board seems to be much more negative than the Georgia board.
Key is to do my h.w.I suppose. Its just such a MAJOR DECISION!!!!

Appreciate those who told where they lived and what the do LOVE about Florida

Keep the positive posts coming!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
We live in southeastern Polk county. We don't have a big, new home because our children are grown, but we have more than enough room for us. We have an electric cooperative, so we don't have the high electric bills others experience. Property taxes and insurance costs are lower here than along either coast. From everything that I've read, we probably live as cheaply as you can in FL. My husband does have to drive an hour to work, but we feel it's worth it because we're able to enjoy the quiet and beauty of FL here. Both coasts are only about 90 minutes away, so we have endless weekend opportunities.
I moved here from small town OH. I read that local paper everyday online. Every week I read about another company closing. The town I came from had the highest property taxes for that county. People will tell you it's a wonderful town--it is--and they'll tell you the schools are great--they are. Even so, they went broke a couple of years ago and had to be run by the state until they got in the black again. Beautiful, quiet town, but it was there our car was broken into twice--not here.
I've noticed that many of the posts from unhappy Floridians are from people younger than me. I understand their frustrations. I understand because I've lived most of them. Not here in FL, but in OH, PA and WV. Things are bad right now in FL, but I hope they understand these problems aren't exclusive to FL.
Moved here just in time to get hit with 3 hurricanes and it was very scary and we did suffer severe damage to our home. I've also lived through 2 blizzards--one which caused damage to my home in OH, ice storms (more house damage due to pipes freezing) and tornados. Bad weather can be anywhere and can be just as scary. My Dad lived in south FL for 20 years before moving up here. He was never hit with a hurricane until 2004.
During the late 1980s my husband was laid off from work in OH. Jobs were very scarce and salaries were very low at that time. We didn't think we would survive, but we did. Things did get better.
My family understands very well the horror of being a victim of crime. My younger sister was murdered. Not here in FL, but small town WV.
We enjoy FL right now. We love sun and warmth and water. I fully understand all the problems people are facing here and I pray things improve. I just always want people to understand problems are everywhere--not just in FL.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 57,730 times
Default Vacation in Florida Live Elsewhere

I have lived in Florida since the summer, and I am already moving out. I moved from Long Island, NY which is overpriced. I loved Long Island, good schools, low crime, but it is too expensive. Now I am moving to Warren County, NJ...up in the Mountains. Its not that expensive and it has access to major cities for good high paying jobs.

Florida has some good high paying jobs but most of its economy is based on Tourism. At least thats the case here in the Orlando area. The people are rude because no one is from the same place and everyone has a different way of doing things. Rednecks hate the Yankees, and vice versa. Everyone seems to be angry at the Latinos for taking low paying jobs, and not speaking English. Traffic is bad but no more or less than what I am used to up North.

Crime is terrible compared to where I lived in the Northeast. I never lived in NYC because of the crime and overcrowding issue. But Florida in general seems to be high in crime and overcrowded. Its getting worse because the politicians allow the developers to ruin the countryside building more of the same. You drive for hours in Florida and see new developments and condos going up. In central Florida it seems like every town has a Walmart and Target, some towns have more than one.

If you take a look at local news stations and newspapers as well as national FBI figures you will see that Florida cities are generally much higher in crime rates than the national average.

I would never send a child to Florida Public Schools. The horrors that I hear about poor teachers, school violence, and half the students in some areas not even speaking English.

So if I could go back would I move to Florida. No, Never, Florida quality of life is way below what I am used to. Florida has provided me with a life lesson however. It has showed me to see the important things in life. Priorities. To me living in a state with high education standards, educated population, low crime, good health-care, close to family, and better higher paying jobs with good benefits is more important than sunny warm weather
all year round and amusement parks.

Man cannot live on Sun Alone. Florida is for Vacations and Retirees.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Absolutely! There is no question about it. I've lived in South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia (twice), Tennessee, and California - none of them compare to Florida to me. I've gotten so I HATE to even have to put a coat on - it seems too heavy and constrictive. I put up my outdoor Christmas decorations today in shorts and a tank top then went swimming! I can get up and go to work every day and never worry about driving in snow and ice - much less shoveling my driveway. I could go on and on....but SHhhhhhh...it's getting too crowded here, I shouldn't tell anyone how wonderful it is. Most of my neighbors are transplants from New York and New Jersey already!
Why did you move so much?

Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
I moved to Navarre in 1998 due to an USAF assignment. I lived in Satellite Beach for 4 years and in Homestead. Will I move here again? Yes. Our area is not as expensive as central and south Florida, insurance is also cheaper. We have an aerospace/military industry that is solid and supports all types of other jobs. The northwest part of the state is affordable to young families. What you can't touch in Central/south Florida is available and waiting for someone to purchase in our area.

Is Florida the home for all of us? No, many families have found out that the parks that they loved some much and the tourism that made their areas is the cause that makes almost impossible to purchase or rent. With the added force of hurricanes, the homeowners insurance is the whipping cream on the cake that takes many of the residents out of the market and out of the state.

Will this situation get better? Depends on us. Many families and members of this forum purchased homes dirt cheap 15 or 20 years ago and made a profit and relocated out of the state. Some others were not as lucky and had to foreclose. The profits from home sales are going outside tha state, and the new florida residents are the ones taking the load on the real estate market.

Jobs are available, but please remember that the Orlando and South Florida market is driven by tourism, construction and import/export industries. Due to the great number of individuals available the wages are low. Disney does not pay $20.00 per hour to sell hats or ice cream.

The rest of the state has diversified the job market and individuals from all over are relocating to find a job. Our area is full of jobs; we are just waiting for everyone from the south to move this way.

About the negative inputs is a pure reflection of the frustrations of some members of this forum. Some of us opted to take chances on life and prepare our self’s for the future and adapt and overcome situations. Can the market in Northwest Florida change? Yes, and if this happens we must adapt and make/take decision to satisfy our needs.

Florida still is a choice state. Yes is great for tourism, but I rather go to St Augustine and enjoy the old town that don't pay $50 plus dollars to see the mouse. Again is all a personal decision and we must respect all, and hopefully the negative members can do the same.

Will this situation get better? Depends on us. many families and members of this forum purchased homes dirt cheap 15 or 20 years ago and made a profit and relocated out of the state. Some other were not as lucky and had to foreclose.

Jobs are available, but please remember that the Orlando and South Florida market is driven by tourism, construction and import/export industries. Due to the great number of individuals available the wages are low. Disney does not pay $20.00 per hour to sell hat or ice cream.

The rest of the state has diversified the job market and individuals from all over are relocating to find a job. Our area is full of jobs, we are just waiting for everyone from the south to move this way.

About the negative inputs is a pure reflection of the frustations of some members of this forum. Some of us opted to take chances on life and prepare our selfs for the future and adapt and overcome situations. Can the market in Northwest Florida change? Yes, and if this happens we must adapt and make/take decision to satisfy our needs.

Florida still is a choice state. Yes is great for tourism, but I rather go to St Augustine and enjoy the old town and don't pay $50 plus dollars to see the mouse.
Again is all a personal decision and we must respect all, and hopefully the negative members can do the same.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Firemed asked "Why did you move so much?"

I was born in South Carolina and lived there for 15 years until my dad was transferred to North Carolina. My family lived there for 10 years and then moved back to SC - where they still live. I went to college in TN, met my husband there, we lived there for 5 years, moved to Florida (Tampa and Tallahassee) for graduate school, then job transfers took us to Georgia, California, back to Georgia and then to Orlando. When we landed in Orlando, we decided this was the place we wanted to stay. It was time to start a family - so that's where we've been for the past 23 years.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote from sunrico90:Will this situation get better? Depends on us. Many families and members of this forum purchased homes dirt cheap 15 or 20 years ago and made a profit and relocated out of the state. Some others were not as lucky and had to foreclose. The profits from home sales are going outside tha state, and the new florida residents are the ones taking the load on the real estate market.

You have to look at the other hand. The profits from home sales out of state is what is selling the homes and land here. last year I sold 20 acres I bought in 1981 for 1k an acre sold for 898k. The guy was from CA and was going to build 38 homes on it. After the closing he told me he made alot of money flipping homes in CA and he will retire after this one. but now the land is up for sale at 799k. I guess he found out the market changed. Some of us opted to take chances on life and prepare ourselves for the future and adapt and overcome situations. But its not bad to be negative occassionally. Sometimes it pays off. I still live on the other side of that plot and have not seen him in months.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Quote from sunrico90:Will this situation get better? Depends on us. Many families and members of this forum purchased homes dirt cheap 15 or 20 years ago and made a profit and relocated out of the state. Some others were not as lucky and had to foreclose. The profits from home sales are going outside tha state, and the new florida residents are the ones taking the load on the real estate market.

You have to look at the other hand. The profits from home sales out of state is what is selling the homes and land here. last year I sold 20 acres I bought in 1981 for 1k an acre sold for 898k. The guy was from CA and was going to build 38 homes on it. After the closing he told me he made alot of money flipping homes in CA and he will retire after this one. but now the land is up for sale at 799k. I guess he found out the market changed. Some of us opted to take chances on life and prepare ourselves for the future and adapt and overcome situations. But its not bad to be negative occassionally. Sometimes it pays off. I still live on the other side of that plot and have not seen him in months.
You did well on the sale. Your profit rate is out of the scale. I must ask, did you invested back in the real estate market? The CA dude is not lossing money on the deal, his taxes will be adjusted.

You are one of the fortunate ones, but many of the other ones in the forum that are leaving were not as fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida