Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: job market, transplants, education improvement,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:56 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,469 times

Advertisements

I would have stayed in St. Petersburg. I highly recommend that city or any neighboring city there in the same county which is Pinellas. The homes are much cheaper there than here, the people make more sense, the area is absolutely stunningly beautiful and looks like Florida, and it is safer. It was a completely different life there. I have taken day trips all over Florida, and I still have yet to find such beauty, be it waterfront gulf or bay, ease of access to these beautiful places and attractions, and NO noticeable traffic problems during the so-called season of snowbirds. Spend a week in St. Pete before you settle down in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
You did well on the sale. Your profit rate is out of the scale. I must ask, did you invested back in the real estate market? The CA dude is not lossing money on the deal, his taxes will be adjusted.

You are one of the fortunate ones, but many of the other ones in the forum that are leaving were not as fortunate.
I sold that land off to get that high price. I had cattle for years and now its just not worth dealing with it anymore . As far as a re-investment into realestate I don't think its a good time to do that here. I put most of that money into other investments that give me a better return at less risk . I bought a house and land in the foothills but still live in Florida. I still have my house and the land around it. Why move away?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I sold that land off to get that high price. I had cattle for years and now its just not worth dealing with it anymore . As far as a re-investment into realestate I don't think its a good time to do that here. I put most of that money into other investments that give me a better return at less risk . I bought a house and land in the foothills but still live in Florida. I still have my house and the land around it. Why move away?
Great decision and investment, no reason to move.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
and NO noticeable traffic problems during the so-called season of snowbirds.
Yeah, they're all up here in Clearwater! lol

Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,615 times
Exclamation St. Petersburg Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I would have stayed in St. Petersburg. I highly recommend that city or any neighboring city there in the same county which is Pinellas. The homes are much cheaper there than here, the people make more sense, the area is absolutely stunningly beautiful and looks like Florida, and it is safer. It was a completely different life there. I have taken day trips all over Florida, and I still have yet to find such beauty, be it waterfront gulf or bay, ease of access to these beautiful places and attractions, and NO noticeable traffic problems during the so-called season of snowbirds. Spend a week in St. Pete before you settle down in Florida.
We were zeroing in on the downtown boardwalk area...until we checked the floodplain risk. Apparently Tampa Bay has the risk of a 21 foot surge if a hurricane hits the coast just right...the bay is actually worse than the beach. Check it out with the websites that show which areas are vulnerable to flood.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
What area would you choose?

My husband and I moved out bcs of the job issues,(he has his own co., but the hurricane thing was bad too) but sold a beautiful house in Boca-

I have read alot of the threads here- Ft Myers is real bad w/jobs also? we would be semi-retired and have some savings- I am just curious what everyone here thinks- clearly every area is different.

We are in NE Tennessee right now 2500 sq ft house- mostly service jobs here insurance, etc, is cheap, but- saving money isn't the only issue.

Just wondering what everyone else would do- I know we are not staying here- not going thru another job market crisis-

sunny.
If I were you it would either be Chicago or Nashville (given your present location).

As for job market crisis. I was in Florida after 9/11 and I can tell you, I would rather freeze my arse off in chicago than have to sit through that again. Your best bet is to do research on the different markets and ask your self what are you looking for in a ideal place to live. Then really take a long hard honest look at your city choices and see if they offer what you are looking for.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,253 times
Default I would not move to Fl.

If I had to do over, I would have fought harder to stay where I was, I came to Fl with a fantasy like everyone else: I hate the summers, can't go out because of fear of skin cancer, I'm fairskinned so I stagnant in the house.
This is a very transient state, people come and go faster than I can put their phone numbers into my address book. Neighbor bought house last April, moving at end of month, going home to TN, can't make a living here.
The school system sucks, 5 children went through schools here and are way behind in what would have been taught in NorthEast schools.
Pay scale is a horror, and because Fl is a right to work state, well, all my children are in business for themselves because they can't raise families on $7.35 a hr or even $10.00 a hr.
People moving here are downright rude, guy moved in across the street, from Odessa, not that far away, I went over with a cake, saw he had a elderly gent living with him, figured I'd be a good neighbor, he opened the door before I could say Hi, growled whatta you want? Said Hi welcome to the neighborhood, he slammed door in my face. Since then he ignores everyone on the block.
Taxes......homeowner's insurance out of sight and will only get worst before it gets better.
Florida is a fun place to visit...........but hell if you live here 24/7.
I hope to get out of here before I die and I've left instructions that if the latter occurs, please for the love of G*d bury me in NJ where the mountain breezes will cool my headstone.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,519 times
It's hard to say.....here's why:

1. Job - my husband and I worked for each company for many years in FL. Our starting salary was $6 per hours. Before leaving FL (last year), our final salary was $12 per hour. The wage was VERY low here in FL. We took the jobs in NC and now we're making over $17 per hour - same job type! We were struggling financially while living in FL. Now we're comfortable and happy.

2. House - our house was in good shape, but was in a very bad location due to potential flooding caused by tropical storm/hurricane. Our house got flooded more than 5 times during our 20 years stay in FL. We did searched for a bigger home on dry ground, but the price tag was way too expensive for us. The average price of the house with 3 bedrooms/2 baths with garage is $285,000 and up. We couldn't afford that. Here in NC, we bought a house with 1800 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms/2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, 1/2 acre backyard for less than $160,000! Home insurance (storm, fire, etc) cost us $400 per year, comparing to FL was $1000.

3. Education - school system in FL is not good. My son did very poorly in reading. They didn't have any school books for kids to take it home and do their homework. Teacher had to make copies for one each student. Homework is one page per night. That's it. Here in NC, my son is having a great education. He struggled first because he never experienced a lot of homeworks and books to take home before, but now he caught up. He is bright, making A's and B's. Schools here are new and everything up to date (new books, computer, etc).

4. Weather - like everybody said, FL get way TOO hot during the summer. Humidity is pretty bad. But it's nice from December to April. North Carolina have "3 seasons" instead of 4, meaning we get Spring, Summer, and Fall. Winter is rare around here (I live on Eastern NC) so last December we only got 1 inch of snow and lasted for four hours. That's it.

5. Mosquitoes - FL is full of it, during summer and hot/warm temp. NC do get it during the summer so they're both the same.

6. Spanish Speaking People - I have to say both FL and NC are the same.

I would have to say yes, I miss FL, but I don't think I would want to move back there again. I missed Disney, beach, fishing, and seafood resturants the most. NC beaches are about 2 hours away from our new home, so it wasn't too bad. We still visit FL because of my mother is living there. She is considering to move out of FL and be closer with us.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM

672 posts, read 904,835 times
Default Absolutely Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
What area would you choose?

My husband and I moved out bcs of the job issues,(he has his own co., but the hurricane thing was bad too) but sold a beautiful house in Boca-

I have read alot of the threads here- Ft Myers is real bad w/jobs also? we would be semi-retired and have some savings- I am just curious what everyone here thinks- clearly every area is different.

We are in NE Tennessee right now 2500 sq ft house- mostly service jobs here insurance, etc, is cheap, but- saving money isn't the only issue.

Just wondering what everyone else would do- I know we are not staying here- not going thru another job market crisis-

sunny.
My feelings on this topic are very well known around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida