Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 49,051 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i think it is really great that your new calling is HOUSTON!
My family and I are planning to relocate to Florida 2007. Yet, I am very concerned about employment out there, how do you grade the job market?

I am really concerned, because coming from New York I am so use to the fast pace work force, is it crazy out there too ?

Can someone that lives in Florida please give he a heads up in which someone that has lived in NYC all of her life should take her 3 children and hubby to live at Palm Springs, Florida...............HELP!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM

26 posts, read 110,649 times
Hello bklynbabe, Florida is getting more business but nothing like you are used to in NY. Things are pretty laid back here and not fast paced at all. I like it better that way but the downside is the pay scale is a lot lower than what you will find in NY.

The problem in Florida is the real estate is gowing up but the salaries in the area are not keeping up. The real estate is being fuled by retirees selling their homes in the Northeast and moving down here. They are retired so are not relying on jobs to pay the mortgage. They have no mortgage.

My wife and I have never had a problem finding good salary jobs in Tampa but we are the exception. I worked for a fortune 10 company HQ in California that allowed me to work from home and my wife works for a local company who's HQ is here. There are few of those jobs. We have actually gotten to a point in our salaries that we have priced ourselves out of the Tampa market if we want to grow. That is why I am considering a job in Houston right now. Bigger city with a lot more business than Tampa. My salary is very common in Houston and not the exception.

Some of the industries that do well here are (from what I know)...

Tampa / St. Pete:
Finance (Raymond James, JP Morgan, Citibank)
Tech / Consulting (PWC, Jabil Circuit, Tech Data, DTCC, Verizon Tech Services)
MacDill Air Force Base is also in Tampa

Orando is filled with government contractors. Mostly simulation type stuff. Plus you have all of the tourism industry stuff (Walt Disney, AAA, etc...).

Miami has a lot of business. Mostly companies put their Latin American operations in Miami. They are usually big name companies but I don't know too many people who like living in Miami.

Jacksonville has business too but I have never cared for the city. I don't really know much about it so it could be a great place.

I think Florida is a great place to live but if you want a "business/professional/fast pace" atmosphere, then I would suggest a larger city out of Florida (or maybe Miami). If you want a slower lifestyle and aren't concerned with salary and growing professionally, then Florida is the place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: