Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM

845 posts, read 679,672 times

Advertisements

Hey there Florida folks, I have a question about the building codes (eg roofs, hurricane-proofing) for older homes. I found a really nice house for an extremely good price for me to carry and rent out, and eventually live in. My concerns are with how the roof stacks up to code, given that it's one of the older homes from the 1970s where they just slapped some bricks together and threw a roof on it. The data says the roof was done in 2006. Would this have retrofitted it to current standards?

Does anyone know what is required of a home built in this time period to have in order to take out a mortgage on it? I've only purchased land in Florida previously (I live in Connecticut) so my knowledge about this isn't all that good.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We own a 70's home, concrete block with stucco. Buying the home is not the issue. You write the contract, get the loan, get the appraisal. but go through a credit union, smaller bank, or 5/3 Bank. Wells, BofA, etc are not real interested in originating loans. No retrofits required to buy though.

The big issue is homeowners insurance and flood insurance. Check into a 4-point wind inspection. Whether you have eves or a full hip roof, if you have straps or 3 nails attaching the rafters to the plates, etc. All this affects the insurance costs. Retrofitting is not required. You say it was redone in 2006. Was this done post-Charley as repair? The owner might have upgraded the rafter connectors.

Also how close you are to the coast, in a flood zone, etc. Contact a local independent insurance agent for your home owners insurance, as Allstate, etc don't lend in all places.

Look at the flood zone first (check out the 50% rule for homes in the flood zone). This can really be a BOING in costs if in a flood zone. Check for any special assessments (planned improvements by the city/county). Insurance isn't any worse than Texas where we moved from.

Hope this helps

Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 AM

31 posts, read 35,168 times
What is the 50% rule?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Here is a link. Basically if you are in a flood zone, damages or repairs exceed 50% of the HOUSE value, a bunch of rules come into play. That is why there are a lot of vacant canal lots in PGI-had to be demolished rather than repaired after Charley.

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/se...rcentRule.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida