Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM

54 posts, read 408,629 times

Advertisements

I am confused as to which city is better...When I mean better I mean cheaper in cost of living (real estate, etc.), more jobs (is it easy to find a job in both places [I am a soon to be CT Tech], and do they both have the same wages?), funner (more city feel, more things to do), better beaches (which one has nicer beaches?), safer (lower crime), weather (do they both have the same weather year round?), etc.

In my opinion, being to neither cities, South East Florida seems more of an upbeat type of living, compared to Tampa area, which seems more relaxed. This is just my opinion, so I don't know if this is true.

I will apprecitate any information. Thanks

Last edited by Josh2020; 03-04-2008 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,921,568 times
Go check the Tampa forum. You have quite a debate going on there. I for one think you would prefer Ft. Lauderdale but it's a very brash, in your face kind of place. You have to visit, it's very "love it or hate it", although there are some suburbs that are more staid and laid back if that's what you want. Tampa is laid back and even a little southern, and has actual living history in places in South Tampa and St. Petersburg. There is almost no history in Ft. Lauderdale. The people are much friendlier in Tampa while I would say Ft. Lauderdale is more open minded and diverse, but not as "friendly" at all.

So to add, visit both and see which vibe you prefer. They both have a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM

22 posts, read 43,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Go check the Tampa forum. You have quite a debate going on there. I for one think you would prefer Ft. Lauderdale but it's a very brash, in your face kind of place. You have to visit, it's very "love it or hate it", although there are some suburbs that are more staid and laid back if that's what you want. Tampa is laid back and even a little southern, and has actual living history in places in South Tampa and St. Petersburg. There is almost no history in Ft. Lauderdale. The people are much friendlier in Tampa while I would say Ft. Lauderdale is more open minded and diverse, but not as "friendly" at all.

So to add, visit both and see which vibe you prefer. They both have a lot of good and a lot of bad.
"The people are much friendlier in Tampa while I would say Ft. Lauderdale is more open minded and diverse, but not as "friendly" at all." Isn't this a contradiction?
I say this because My wife and I want to move to Florida. But we are convinced we could never live anywhere but the FtL region. Because of the narrow minded, people who live around the Tampa Region. Actually her family wants us to move to Jacksonville and I completely refuse for that same reason. Hey, My wife is Irishand Im an Italian both from New Jersey so you know what part of Florida we belong.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,921,568 times
Friendly, quote unquote . Actually people aren't exactly close minded around Tampa...I think it's pretty moderate really...it's not unfriendly to outsiders at all, but there is still a slow pace to it that seems to be the predominant desired type of place on City-Data.

Also, the best bagel and nova I have had in Florida was not in Plantation, but Palm Harbor (outside of Tampa). The best slice of pizza I have had in Florida was in Casselberry (outside of Orlando), not Coral Springs, so transplants are present state wide. Let's put it like this, Ft. Laud is more polarizing , Tampa is not, but it's more for people who want a complete change in lifestyle from NY. Not that Ft. Laud isn't, but socially it is more comfortable for a northeasterner or a west coaster, or someone from a completely different country altogether. Tampa can be comfortable to anyone, but there is an adjustment period if you are coming from NY and show it visibly!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-04-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
I moved to Tampa in 2003 from Ft. Laud to attend a state univeristy here, and I have to say although I stayed in the same state it took me some time to adjust. Ft Laud is a much more vibrant place with so many things to do. If you are younger and prefer the nightlife then Ft. Laud is the place to be. If you are raising a family Tampa is better. I now live in an area just east of Tampa called Brandon and I'd have to say I like it here. Its not as barren, ugly, and industrial as some places in Tampa. Its newer, thus many developments are newer. Tampa is a somewhat weird city because its physicality is not consistent. You see nice new areas and then very ugly country, industrial, old nasty areas. This is what made me prefer Ft Laud more, and thats the fact the Laud was a better planned city which is much prettier. Also, Ft Laud is more tropical and lush and looks like what most people envision florida to look like. Tampa is subtropical so it has a bit of a southern look with towering oak trees with minimal palm trees in comparison to the wide abundance of tropical vegetation in ft laud. On the other hand Fort Lauderdale is becoming more diverse everyday..the northern part of Broward county is not filled with as many minorities as the southern part since it is further away from Miami. If you dont mind a very diverse place then you'll be ok. This site actually provides demographics on the different counties. I think Broward (ft laud) is 58% white and Hillsborough (tampa) is 63% white. Don't get me wrong South Tampa has a bearable nightlife as it has grown so much in the past 5 years. However it doesnt compare to the wide array of options you have in so. Fla from downtown to hard rock to south beach in MIA. I think you should visit both cities to see which one you prefer. hope this helps though

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,471 times
Default East vs West

The Fort Lauderdale area is great...if you are single and have the money to support it... for my in-laws live there... and basically... what is considered to be a starter home... starts at $400,000 plus and is considered to be a tear down... additionally, being from New York... I can tell you... that the east coast is just an extension of New York... take a look at real estate prices on both coasts/areas... try this site REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale you might be surprised what your money will buy on the west coast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida