Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Florida in one of the many deed restricted, or resident owned, or condo, mobile home communities. We took a recent trip to Florida to determine what particular area to live in. We have chosen the Lakeland or surrounding areas to begin our search. The traffic ridden and hurricane prone areas have been crossed off our lists. We looked at several parks while there but came away very confused because we really don't know what we're getting into. Could anyone suggest specific 55+ parks, that are well maintained, low monthly fees, deed restricted, no golf, parks for us to look at in the Lakeland area. It would be nice to hear from actual owners that might include their likes and dislikes about the park. Also, would like to know if the rules and regulations are adhered to or not. Actually, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
I'm from Tampa and moved to Lakeland about 3 years ago and I like it here a lot. Great location (45 min. to Tampa, an hour to Orlando and an hour to Clearwater beach).
Another nice area you might consider is Winterhaven (30 min from Lakeland).

I'm in the hardwood flooring business and have done work in a couple mobile home parks in Lakeland (there are several) both were nice.
"Cypress Lakes" 55+ Community Central Florida | Retirement Homes Lakeland is probably the nicest M.H.P. I've ever been in but it does have a golf course and its probably the most expensive park in Lakeland. https://www.facebook.com/CypressLakesFla/

"Woodbrook Estates" Woodbrook Estates - Home is also nice, clean and gated. Its kept up very well and has no golf course. https://www.facebook.com/WoodbrookEstatesMHP/

I think your looking in a good area/location. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:15 AM

230 posts, read 407,140 times
you are on the wrong forum...we are about 100 miles away from Lakeland.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:43 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Just a note: if you can afford it, get an park where you own the lot and are part of the HOA. If you are just buying the home and renting the lot, you will have no input into management, the park can be sold out from under you, and the monthly cost is far higher.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:34 PM

221 posts, read 192,671 times
Owner owned lots are not common. This was covered 4-5 years ago (for FL) in the bi-monthly publication, Where To Retire. More difficult is finding an upscale community not tied to a golf course. For those who have no interest in this sport it is fact that should you make a purchase in a turf community, you will be an outcast. Do not let any salesperson or realtor tell you differently.

Grandfathered into a 400 unit community (as it turned into an over 55) this negative experience was experienced first hand.
My mother, the golfer, died nine years before my dad and he was abandoned and ignored by the Snowbirds after her passing.
With a scant 25% of the park full time residents it was difficult to forge a new friendships. As one of the first 20 people to
buy-in at official opening, this was sad. After his death I sold both manufactured homes and relocated out-of-state.

Diligent web search will find a site which lists owner owned lots in HOA communities in the Sunshine State. I found it after
the publication, mentioned above, published their story. The web address was given to them. Research will get you what
you want.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times
My apologies for not posting this in the correct section. I am very new to "blogging and threads" and actually have no idea what I'm doing. Also, my thanks to those who so kindly responded. I've taken all these suggestions to heart and appreciate all your advise. We are also new to the Florida scene so need all the help we can get. Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM

23 posts, read 74,282 times
Quie,
How are you doing in your move to Florida? My husband and I are also moving from California to Florida in July. Hope you are doing well in your new environment and have found a place to move. If you'd like to stay in touch, just add me as a friend. In meantime, praying for you and God bless.
BeautifulSong.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Owner owned lots are not common. This was covered 4-5 years ago (for FL) in the bi-monthly publication, Where To Retire. More difficult is finding an upscale community not tied to a golf course. For those who have no interest in this sport it is fact that should you make a purchase in a turf community, you will be an outcast. Do not let any salesperson or realtor tell you differently.

Grandfathered into a 400 unit community (as it turned into an over 55) this negative experience was experienced first hand.
My mother, the golfer, died nine years before my dad and he was abandoned and ignored by the Snowbirds after her passing.
With a scant 25% of the park full time residents it was difficult to forge a new friendships. As one of the first 20 people to
buy-in at official opening, this was sad. After his death I sold both manufactured homes and relocated out-of-state.

Diligent web search will find a site which lists owner owned lots in HOA communities in the Sunshine State. I found it after
the publication, mentioned above, published their story. The web address was given to them. Research will get you what
you want.
Sadly what you described is very common in snow birds dominated communities. I don't think it is meant to be that way. It's just a culture that has developed over the years. I see it in the park I live in. It really is a concern when moving into these Florida Parks. Sadly many of us don't even think about it before moving in. We find out soon after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida