Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwuwei View Post
I don't have the time or resources to make multiple trips, it's a one shot deal really That is why I am asking for the experience or opinions of those who live there and know the areas.

I have no problem with the isolation or loneliness of the keys, I like the remote outer cape cod living a lot which I imagine is similar. So large cities would probably be a no-go. I'm also open to living in an RV park or something less conventional as a way to afford the higher COL. What I don't want is working 60 hours a week just to survive and never be able to enjoy the area.

Relaxed, slow pace of life with friendly people and good weather is what I'm looking for. If the place fills those requirements, the money and surviving is not an issue.
Ahhhhh, paradise, I want to live there too. Of course you're asking for that coastal paradise just like probably 90% of everyone one else in this country. Why do you think coastal communities are so expensive? Sorry, but I can't give you that definitive location, finding that paradise is a journey that YOU have to take. A few years ago we went to Ft. Myers beach and went to a local establishment for the evening, there was a local beach bum there who was interesting to watch. He had a few bar tricks, charmed the ladies, chatted it up with the men, and he scored quite a few free drinks. I guess that was his paradise? What is it you're really looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
I appreciate the honest feedback. I suppose I'm not concerned so much with the cost as I am with the culture, the caribbean vibe and the warmth/loving/friendly atmosphere that Key west advertises (may or may not be reality as you say) is what I'm after. It's not just the weather that is cold in New England

My experience with Florida is pretty limited, have just been to disney world and Tampa. It seems a reconnaissance trip is in order prior to moving. SW FL seems like a decent idea too.

How much of an impact has the rising sea level had on the Keys?

Also, interested to hear from any else who live on the other keys if the situation is any different there?
The Florida keys is more trailer park than "carribean vibe"

Rising sea level is an issue....come down in October, on a full moon and you will see it first hand

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM

155 posts, read 154,258 times
Trailer park huh, interesting haha.. Could be what I'm looking for!

My concerns are the bugs and the beaches.. How bad are both??

Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
My concerns are the bugs and the beaches.. How bad are both??
There really aren't many beaches in the Keys at all.
Starting to think OP is nothing but a troll - seems to know absolutely zero about the Keys yet wants to move there. Makes no sense.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 03-14-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 PM

What a bunch of miserable people on these forums good god! Why would I spend my time asking questions about some place for no reason at all.

I do not know much about the keys THATS WHY I AM HERE ASKING QUESTIONS.

Please if you do not have anything useful to contribute don't bother responding.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
I couldn't imagine a worse nightmare for a college educated, able-bodied male than living in Key west. The land of tourists, drunks, suuuuper expensive housing, and no jobs.

Key West is nice to visit for a few days, but there is literally nothing to do there except drink. NOTHING.
Yes, I suppose u can snorkel.... off certain areas, but really? It's not that great. All the reefs are pretty much dead anyway, let's be honest. Also, the beaches suck. The vibe in Key West is soooo "Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville" and no offense to older white folks, but every one of them look sunburned and leathery and most are alcoholics and fisherman.

If you were disappointed in California, you will SURELY be disappointed in the keys. It's almost a backwater IMO.

EDIT: OP, dude. It's not that we're miserable, it's that you're mad we're not telling u what u wanna hear. The truth is...Key West sucks to live in. Straight up.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I couldn't imagine a worse nightmare for a college educated, able-bodied male than living in Key west. The land of tourists, drunks, suuuuper expensive housing, and no jobs.

Key West is nice to visit for a few days, but there is literally nothing to do there except drink. NOTHING.
Yes, I suppose u can snorkel.... off certain areas, but really? It's not that great. All the reefs are pretty much dead anyway, let's be honest. Also, the beaches suck. The vibe in Key West is soooo "Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville" and no offense to older white folks, but every one of them look sunburned and leathery and most are alcoholics and fisherman.

If you were disappointed in California, you will SURELY be disappointed in the keys. It's almost a backwater IMO.

EDIT: OP, dude. It's not that we're miserable, it's that you're mad we're not telling u what u wanna hear. The truth is...Key West sucks to live in. Straight up.
I'm not mad I just prefer engaging responses like yours as opposed to one line unsupported negativity.

Usually places that are expensive are expensive for a reason, because they are desirable. Maybe you're right I haven't been there, but it looks pretty sweet and a lot of people seem to love it. As I said at the beginning of the thread I'm open to other suggestions people may have.

I'm not understanding what sucks about this picture though:

http://wanderthemap.com/wp-content/u...to-Essay21.jpg

Or this one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9987f785bf.jpg

I went to the bahamas and never wanted to leave.

I'm sure not everyone on the island is an alcoholic and only drinks lol that seems highly unlikely.Maybe thats all you did there? I personally don't want anything to do, thats the whole point. I love the outer cape which is very remote and "nothing to do". For me, that is the whole problem.. people feeling like they always have to be doing something.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
The few people I've known who lived there are silver spoon babies.. and even they remark about how insanely expensive it is.
My parents have had a house in Key West since my dad bought it in the 1970s and is considered a local even though they only spend January through April there. The other people I know that moved there are literal trust fund kids.

Quote:
I appreciate the honest feedback. I suppose I'm not concerned so much with the cost as I am with the culture, the caribbean vibe and the warmth/loving/friendly atmosphere that Key west advertises (may or may not be reality as you say) is what I'm after. It's not just the weather that is cold in New England

My experience with Florida is pretty limited, have just been to disney world and Tampa. It seems a reconnaissance trip is in order prior to moving. SW FL seems like a decent idea too.

How much of an impact has the rising sea level had on the Keys?

Also, interested to hear from any else who live on the other keys if the situation is any different there?
You need to be mostly concerned with the cost. You'll be working 100 hours a week just not to live in your car. I'm not kidding. Also, since all your money is going to rent, you will not be able to afford anything to do when you finally have a day off.

I would also highly suggest moving to the west coast of Florida.

Key West has gone from being a great, funky, gay, artists town to a corporate grab. When Fast Buck Freddies closed up shop, it was a sad day indeed.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My parents have had a house in Key West since my dad bought it in the 1970s and is considered a local even though they only spend January through April there. The other people I know that moved there are literal trust fund kids.

You need to be mostly concerned with the cost. You'll be working 100 hours a week just not to live in your car. I'm not kidding. Also, since all your money is going to rent, you will not be able to afford anything to do when you finally have a day off.

I would also highly suggest moving to the west coast of Florida.

Key West has gone from being a great, funky, gay, artists town to a corporate grab. When Fast Buck Freddies closed up shop, it was a sad day indeed.
That is sad indeed! I guess I'm not seeing the cost being as much of an issue because I'm seeing rooms for rent in the $1000 range, which is basically what I'm looking at here in Mass or in San Diego where I was before. The plus with key west is that I don't need my car. So other than rent I'm just paying for food, phone, etc. That's not a ton of money I'd need monthly, unless I'm missing something?

It's really too bad about the transition to a corporate grab, so common these days! Do you have any recommendations for a "great, funky, gay, artists town" on the west coast of Florida? Or somewhat resembling this? Been reading up on Sarasota/ Ft myers area seems pretty nice! But not sure if its a retirement community?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
dude. It's not that we're miserable, it's that you're mad we're not telling u what u wanna hear.
way too many people make up what they want Florida life to be like in their heads
...and insist anyone who lives here and tells them their made up dream is wrong is just miserable.

you want to live in Florida - you're going to have to find a decent paying job and hustle.
Unless you're independently wealthy there is no place in the state you can just work selling Tshirts and survive.
That whole concept only exists in your head and in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida