Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:55 PM

440 posts, read 518,013 times

Advertisements

Since there's now a venomous, lethal to humans King Cobra loose in the Orlando region of Florida, that got out due to negligence on the part of it's owner, and considering the climate here where exotic species of animals that used to be pets are thriving and now roaming all over Florida, how can the State of Florida government feel it's fine to grant permits to keep poisonous snakes and other such animals to Florida residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Hi I'm 2 weeks ago
//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...w-orlando.html

Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,965 times
When one finally kills a child, is THAT when FL will at last make it illegal for ANY residential lay citizen to own such dangerous and potentially invasive exotic animals, regardless of license, fee, etc? It is ridiculous what this state allows residents to own, which are both abusive to the undomesticated species of animal, and a danger to the owner as well as to the community, and the future of the state. We have too much at stake to consider the hobbies of a few fringe individuals over the health of the public, and the state's environment. Consider what has already happened with iguanas, lionfish, pythons, cane toads, etc.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
When one finally kills a child, is THAT when FL will at last make it illegal for ANY residential lay citizen to own such dangerous and potentially invasive exotic animals, regardless of license, fee, etc? It is ridiculous what this state allows residents to own, which are both abusive to the undomesticated species of animal, and a danger to the owner as well as to the community, and the future of the state. We have too much at stake to consider the hobbies of a few fringe individuals over the health of the public, and the state's environment. Consider what has already happened with iguanas, lionfish, pythons, cane toads, etc.
I think I'll release macaws next. In the wild, they're extremely defensive of their homes/families, and are outrageously loud. This should be fun.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Hope everyone realizes that Florida has millions of poisonous snakes in the wild already.......yet deaths are extremely rare and usually involve the victim playing with the snake

Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hope everyone realizes that Florida has millions of poisonous snakes in the wild already.......yet deaths are extremely rare and usually involve the victim playing with the snake
It's not so much the fact that the animals pose a lethal threat -- I don't think anyone's been killed by the wild pythons (yet) -- it's more of the fact that they are invasive species, can (and do) multiply at uncontrollable paces, and destroy native life.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's not so much the fact that the animals pose a lethal threat -- I don't think anyone's been killed by the wild pythons (yet) -- it's more of the fact that they are invasive species, can (and do) multiply at uncontrollable paces, and destroy native life.
Right. They are a major threat to the many endangered plants and animals here. And, allowing so many exotic pets poses no benefit to the state of Florida whatsoever. Native animals that are dangerous are NATIVE, so they know how to live here, and how to avoid people by hanging out in the more wild areas of the state where people never go. Animals that have been kept as pets, but are not suitable as such, are more prone to escape because they hate their caged life, and are also less afraid of people so are more prone to staying near where humans are under the house, in the street, or hanging out in the neighborhood where they escaped or were released. They will come right up to people because they are used to people being their source of food, and they know no other. There is no reason for a cobra, a lion, a violent monkey, or any other exotic non-native species to hang out at the home of a non-professional average Florida resident. It poses plenty of potential dangers to humans and to the Florida environment, and not a single bit of good to the state at large.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,523 times
Send the cobra down to the Keys, where it can get lots of sun.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 AM

440 posts, read 518,013 times
Default Recent News on King Cobra Loose in Orlando

I've been keeping up on the State of Florida's government action about what is currently being done to locate and catch the lethal to humans King Cobra snake that got out of an owner's home in the Orlando area. I've copied and pasted the latest information below.

Florida wildlife officials are no longer searching for a king cobra that escaped from an Orlando home earlier this month.
Officials say they believe the venomous snake is still somewhere on its owner’s property and that the agency is checking in with the owner to make sure he is looking.
Still, one parent, whose child’s school nearby was affected by the loose snake, wasn’t happy.
“If he (the snake owner) really cared, he’d be out there every day of the week looking for it. I mean if it was my snake, which I wouldn’t have it in the first place, I’d be out there every day of the week,” parent (name removed) said.

Considering that the latest statistics rate Florida in the top 20 (we're number 16) of the 50 states in the U.S. having the most citizens living at or below the poverty level while having the 3rd highest population of the states in the U.S., Florida is also in the top 20 for flat levels of increases in median income in the U.S. (we're number 11). It sure looks to me from the above information about the State giving up on looking for the King Cobra that is loose in the Orlando area, that it's just more fuel on the fire about how a large number of elected officials in our State government feel about the welfare AND the safety of Florida's residents.

Last edited by HotandHumid; 09-19-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,523 times
^^Well, FWC was in charge of finding the snake. And they're as dumb as FEMA.What do you expect.

Now they have put the loser who let it get out in the first place in charge of finding the snake. As I've said my girlfriend and me could do a better job of caring for that cobra then that man did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: