Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have some family members looking to possibly relocate to Florida. They are probably looking around Deltona, maybe within an hour's driving distance from there, nothing too close to coastal.

Looking for suggestions of safe, established neighborhoods. SFH (no HOA-heavy areas) in the 100-200K range. Similar to Deltona wouldn't be too bad. Not too big or small with stores within reasonable driving distance. If there is some kind of bus service in the area (I know public transit isn't great, just something) that might be a plus as well. I was also given in the suggestion of DeBary, but really looking for more options. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Hello,

I have some family members looking to possibly relocate to Florida. They are probably looking around Deltona, maybe within an hour's driving distance from there, nothing too close to coastal.

Looking for suggestions of safe, established neighborhoods. SFH (no HOA-heavy areas) in the 100-200K range. Similar to Deltona wouldn't be too bad. Not too big or small with stores within reasonable driving distance. If there is some kind of bus service in the area (I know public transit isn't great, just something) that might be a plus as well. I was also given in the suggestion of DeBary, but really looking for more options. Thank you in advance!
I wouldn't necessarily recommend Deltona which is often by definition not safe or established and not the wisest investment in terms of property values. Deltona was probably permanently damaged by the housing bust in 2005-2007 with lots of foreclosed and abandoned homes that seriously devalued that have in many instances wound up as rental property and with that comes the many issues you don't see in SFH neighborhoods usually.

DeBary is a good option but seriously lacks in public transit. If looking for some transit options and close proximity to stores/services without a lot of HOA neighborhoods, they might check out southern Seminole County which was largely built out before HOAs became so popular and is fairly safe/established along with good investments. Seminole County home prices have gone up 20% just over the past two years, due largely I think to the excellent school system (ranked #2 in the state). Check out towns like Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Longwood, Winter Springs (I would avoid the southern end which was seriously impacted like Deltona) and Fern Park which is unincorporated but listed often under Casselberry.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

Old 03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Deltona is a giant suburb.

I would reccomend a real city like Tallahassee

Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 AM

Thank you for your responses.

1. I am not sure they would want to be in a city, TD.

2. Thank you for your suggestions, kyle. I'll run a couple of suggestions by them, show them some properties, etc. I wish they knew what they wanted with a little more clarity but I don't think they even know anything besides a one story, SFH home that doesn't require any work, possibly has a pool, preferably brick and with a garage. (All relatively easy to find.) I used Deltona as the starting point because I have a family member who lives there and given some medical issues, I think they'd like to be somewhat close (I think within an hour's drive is reasonable) to them.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily recommend Deltona which is often by definition not safe or established and not the wisest investment in terms of property values. Deltona was probably permanently damaged by the housing bust in 2005-2007 with lots of foreclosed and abandoned homes that seriously devalued that have in many instances wound up as rental property and with that comes the many issues you don't see in SFH neighborhoods usually.

DeBary is a good option but seriously lacks in public transit. If looking for some transit options and close proximity to stores/services without a lot of HOA neighborhoods, they might check out southern Seminole County which was largely built out before HOAs became so popular and is fairly safe/established along with good investments. Seminole County home prices have gone up 20% just over the past two years, due largely I think to the excellent school system (ranked #2 in the state). Check out towns like Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Longwood, Winter Springs (I would avoid the southern end which was seriously impacted like Deltona) and Fern Park which is unincorporated but listed often under Casselberry.

Okay, so my friend says that taxes and property costs are higher and that there is more traffic in these areas suggested. Is that true? She then suggested Geneva or Oviedo.

The money thing is pretty important, because I am talking about people who may move down only in a disability check. They can sell their current house, will buy something 100% cash down and then have probably a few hundred thousand leftover to live on and eventually, when they get SS, they will not be getting much at all. Not sure if there are any benefits/exemptions for someone in this type of situation but that's how it's probably going to be.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Okay, so my friend says that taxes and property costs are higher and that there is more traffic in these areas suggested. Is that true? She then suggested Geneva or Oviedo.

The money thing is pretty important, because I am talking about people who may move down only in a disability check. They can sell their current house, will buy something 100% cash down and then have probably a few hundred thousand leftover to live on and eventually, when they get SS, they will not be getting much at all. Not sure if there are any benefits/exemptions for someone in this type of situation but that's how it's probably going to be.
More traffic, yes...but if wanting to be in an area with transit options you won't be finding that in low density areas like Geneva or Oviedo unless they qualify for ParaTransit services. Property taxes are a mixed bag but run fairly equal in Seminole County, with older properties typically less per square foot as appraisal values haven't kept up largely with market value over the years. In terms of the money situation it would seem buying outright is a good idea and from my understanding SS benefits can continue if one has received a settlement so hopefully that's less of a concern with the tax situation. Going back to location however, not all areas of South Seminole County are congested or noisy so wouldn't eliminate the option entirely without some investigation.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Quote:

Florida has a homesteading law that may help. You can homestead your house, get reduced property taxes and I think it also limits property appraisal increases. Our yearly garbage collection fee ($190) is included in our property tax as well. Florida does not have a state income tax and does not tax (unprepared) food. Florida gets a lot of revenue from tourists, which means residents don't pay as much tax as other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida