Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 AM

166 posts, read 276,949 times

Advertisements

Apparently, Florida has been experiencing an economic boom recently.
Enough so that the hottest real estate markets for 2017 are mostly in Florida, and Forbes thinks other states can learn from what Florida is doing right.

Can you guys living in Florida see/feel this happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,405,431 times
Reads like nothing but political mumbo jumbo to me.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,280,750 times
I didn't read the article but things are looking better in things that matter to me.

The 2007/8 recession and housing bust hit hard and it hurt to see businesses close etc

Things are opening up where I live and fingers crossed this is recovery and growth for us

Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM

24,348 posts, read 26,771,586 times
Things seem pretty good in the Orlando area

Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM

26,960 posts, read 43,460,630 times
An economic boom of lower paying service sector jobs isn't something to aspire to. Of course corporate America loves that kind of thing which keeps CEO/upper management pockets full but it does nothing for the general population, and is building unsustainable sprawl where most cannot afford fair market rent (which is skyrocketing out of control) or the ability to save to buy due to increasing living costs with stagnant sub-par wages. Where are the higher paying manufacturing, IT and Biotech companies expanding? Certainly not in Florida largely. "Job creation" is multi-dimensional and one needs to look beneath the surface at the type of jobs driving a boom.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
An economic boom of lower paying service sector jobs isn't something to aspire to. Of course corporate America loves that kind of thing which keeps CEO/upper management pockets full but it does nothing for the general population, and is building unsustainable sprawl where most cannot afford fair market rent (which is skyrocketing out of control) or the ability to save to buy due to increasing living costs with stagnant sub-par wages. Where are the higher paying manufacturing, IT and Biotech companies expanding? Certainly not in Florida largely. "Job creation" is multi-dimensional and one needs to look beneath the surface at the type of jobs driving a boom.
Tell us again how all those "low paying service sector jobs" are buying all those $300/350K new homes going up everywhere.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM

166 posts, read 276,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Tell us again how all those "low paying service sector jobs" are buying all those $300/350K new homes going up everywhere.
Yea, this is exactly what sparked my curiosity.

These high home sales are definitely not being driven by any low-paid service workers.

Clearly, something else is going on.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM

26,960 posts, read 43,460,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Yea, this is exactly what sparked my curiosity.

These high home sales are definitely not being driven by any low-paid service workers.

Clearly, something else is going on.
That's the typical response of not looking beyond the surface, similar to the argument that their are exotic car dealerships located here also. No one is suggesting there aren't people that can't afford to buy 300K-350K homes, but they certainly aren't representative of the general population no matter how you try to twist it with a median household income of 50K in the Orlando metro area.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,307,866 times
Quote:
That's the typical response of not looking beyond the surface, similar to the argument that their are exotic car dealerships located here also. No one is suggesting there aren't people that can't afford to buy 300K-350K homes, but they certainly aren't representative of the general population no matter how you try to twist it with a median household income of 50K in the Orlando metro area.
We are finding people in multiple bidding wars for homes in our price range, 325k-400k..My husband will be working in the Florida market as there is alot of opportunity for his company they also have an office there as well...its interesting we were on the phone with some people from the Tampa Office and they are saying what a comeback Tampa Bay is making, again it depends on what sector one works in but it isnt all doom and gloom...I will say there are A LOT of people including my husband that work from home so if they are keeping their salaries then I would assume this is why so many people are buying..I am surprised about the amount of people in the same price range because all you hear is there aren't any decent paying Jobs Etc, I actually find Tampa from my research to be more expensive than we thought, but we aren't moving for a Cheaper Lifestyle we are moving for a Better Quality as well as a future for our adult kids...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 03-22-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,405,431 times
Quote:

WELL SAID!
It's the realtors on here are unreal with their nonstop nonsense.. but that's how they make their money.

Trying to argue with them is like trying to nail jello to a tree.
Not worth the effort that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: