Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM

199 posts, read 955,657 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Florida in April for 10 days and we were wondering which destinations you can recommend in your state.

Interested in:
- Historic cities, districts / sites. Nice coastal towns
- National / state parks: Beautiful nature, hiking, animals
- Beaches: Snorkeling, high waves

Not interested:
- Family friendly places (we don't have children yet)
- Major spring break destinations
- Disney, Universal studios, aquariums

We're looking forward to hearing from you,
Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,837,121 times
St Augustine is a great city with lots of history. Anastasia Island State Park is right on the ocean and worth visiting. Ringling Museum (http://www.ringling.org/museum_art.asp - broken link) or Spanish Point in Sarasota/Osprey.

Tarpon Springs is kind of neat. It has a lot of Greek culture, interesting food, sponge docks.

You could try Ah-tah-thi-ki Museum. It's part of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. They have alligator wrestling, air boat rides, Indian museum.

Babcock Wilderness Adventures (http://www.babcockwilderness.com/about.htm - broken link) in Punta Gorda. You go out in a swamp buggy through the native wilderness of Florida. You will see deer, alligator, boar, etc. We just went on this a week or so ago and had a great time.

Here's a website that lists all of the state parks in Florida.

I'll see if I can think of anymore....

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,575,209 times
Palm Beach, FL

Whitehall Flagler Museum

The Breakers

Palm Beach Hotels - Florida Resort - Florida Accommodations - The Breakers

Jupiter, FL

The Nature Conservancy in Florida - Blowing Rocks Preserve

North Palm Beach, FL

MacARTHUR BEACH STATE PARK

Delray Beach, FL

The Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens

Juno Beach, FL

Loggerhead Marinelife Center of Juno Beach - Home

Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,837,121 times
Mote Marine Laboratory is another really cool place to visit. It houses sea life and injured animals that are native to Florida.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the information!

Can you tell me the best way to visit the Everglades? Do people drive to Homestead and then from the Ernest Coe to the Flamingo visitor center? The map http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/upload/evermap.pdf (broken link) shows a lot of campgrounds that don't seem to be accessible by a road. Do people hike there or are they only accessible by boat?

How are the John Pennekamp Coral Reef state park or Biscayne NP?

Is it worthwhile driving down all the way to Key West?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM

331 posts, read 1,541,042 times
You can start in St. Augustine. Then cross the state into St. Pete. From there on cross the Skyway bridge into Sarasota. While there make a brief stop in Venice. Then head all the way down to Key West.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 991,384 times
The Everglades in the warmer months are intensely "bug oriented".
Like, you can't even comprehend it until you experience it. Just beware.
As a FL native who actually lived in SWFL for a period of time, I've gone into the Glades precisely twice.
Once on a school field trip and once because a girl insisted we go. I have no intentions on ever going back because having 200 mosquito welts for a couple weeks isn't my idea of a "good time".

Invest in some 100% DEET and make sure to bring long sleeves.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The Everglades in the warmer months are intensely "bug oriented".
Like, you can't even comprehend it until you experience it. Just beware.
As a FL native who actually lived in SWFL for a period of time, I've gone into the Glades precisely twice.
Once on a school field trip and once because a girl insisted we go. I have no intentions on ever going back because having 200 mosquito welts for a couple weeks isn't my idea of a "good time".

Invest in some 100% DEET and make sure to bring long sleeves.
We're planning on visiting at the beginning of April. Is it already that bad at this time of the year?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 991,384 times
It's "beginning". Not as bad as July, but it still can really, really suck.

Everglades National Park Mosquitoes

Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 AM

431 posts, read 1,638,292 times
My husbands parents always go to anna marie island and we have been there several times. Not far from St. Armonds circle(spelling) Great shopping. Sarasota gardens were nice as well (lots of birds) We also went to the mote marine lab where they offer boat tours (didn't get a chance to do). We went at the end of march and we found it do able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida