Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: insurance, taxes, real estate, traffic, adoption.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:45 PM

251 posts, read 885,806 times

Advertisements

I had been posting pretty regulary untl one of my posts were deleated saying I was "flaming" someone. I had intended not to post again feeling I was targeted because I quoted facts and meerly the truth but here I go again.

I keep reading posts of people who only want us to post the good things in Florida and yes there are many however they get clouded by all the problems in Florida. People say "just move away" Well sometimes that's not possible at the present time. People like myself have generations of family still living here some very old and unable to handle a move, not to mention trying to sell your home that the homeowners insurance is too high for someone to purchase it or the property taxes are too high. This is where my parents are now. They own their home and have recently had to cancel their homeowners insurance because it jumped from $630 three years ago to $5400this year. They are on a fixed income and can not possibly afford that. They can't sell their house because no one wants to pay that kind of insurance on a home that is worth $150K. I won't even go into details about my brother who is paying $5800 for a 900 sq foot home, or my grandmother who has had to move three times in three months because the assisted living she was living in closed due to them loosing their insurance. I just want people to know that we (or should I say I) have always LOVED Florida. The beaches, the beautiful sunsets. fishing, scalloping, boating, and all it's natural beauty. Now we work so much more that we can not enjoy Florida and it has changed so much that the "fun" and "beauty" is gone. Our wages are poor, that's a fact not a complaint, our schools are bad, aso a fact not a complaint, we are overrun with sex offenders, and crime is high. When I was a child here we would go out and play in the woods near our house and be gone all day till dark. There is no way I would allow my child to do that now! Trust me if we won the lottery we would scoop all our family members and get out of here! I also realize that almost everyplace will have issues of their own but it is not just "one" issue happening in Florida, but many. As for someone who posted to be part of the solution not the problem I can tell them that I am VERY active in my community and sit on several boards and am president of another group that is trying to help the people in Florida the problem that seems to be universal is lots of people complaining and very few people actually trying to do something about it. I will leave Florida fighting all the way and when I do leave (we are planning our escape from Florida as soon as our adoption is final and we have our daughter) I know I will miss a lifetime of the good things about Florida what I won't miss is all the other stuff. We have found property and housing in several other states that we can again live comfortably which is all anyone really wants I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,655 times
Kudos!

Where are you planning to move? My family currently has indefinite plans to move to East TN within the next couple of years.

I hope all goes well with your adoption. I am also a Florida native, and I do not see myself raising a family of my own here.

God Bless,
~Kristina, a.k.a. Sunshine Baby

Old 12-03-2006, 05:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
As a Florida native also, its sad so many are leaving the state.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM

251 posts, read 885,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Kudos!

Where are you planning to move? My family currently has indefinite plans to move to East TN within the next couple of years.

I hope all goes well with your adoption. I am also a Florida native, and I do not see myself raising a family of my own here.

God Bless,
~Kristina, a.k.a. Sunshine Baby
We have been checking out Tennessee, West Virginia, and Ohio. We have found may properties in Ohio and West Virginia that have gas wells...hopefully no more $350 electril bills

Old 12-03-2006, 06:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
They have homes with a gas well? That's totally awesome, your own energy source! I wish I had something like that or a home next to running water I can use for energy. Nothing like that exists in Florida

Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,380 times
Tallrick, I sold a home in NE Ohio with a gas well on it in the winter of 2003, the well was producing consistently, maintained by a third party company and the home had FREE Gas. That was a Bonus!!! The house was built in 1860 and the new owners of that 30 acre property (at only $78K) where going to convert the entire home to gas with a secondary eclectic heating system for back up.

I have not seen anything like that here in Florida!!! What a DEAL!

PS: The house was 100% livable!

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 12-03-2006 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: ooopps!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Default hey- for anyone curious-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
We have been checking out Tennessee, West Virginia, and Ohio. We have found may properties in Ohio and West Virginia that have gas wells...hopefully no more $350 electril bills
Our electric is $50-70 max in East Tenn due to TVA- what a break from FPL 400/month A/C bills. In Johnson City/Washington County you can get a 2500 sf house, 1 acre, near hospital and university town- for 1/4 the price of PBC - our property tax is non-existent- compared to what we paid in FL- beautiful country, and JC is still a main town. If anyone is curious about East Tenn I moved here a year ago- PM or ask me!

sincerely,
sunny

Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Helena, if you don't mind me asking...what is your occupation? DH and I went to college in east Tennessee and it is beautiful country. We are happy in Orlando right now, but are looking ahead to retirement and considering moving to the mountains somewhere in TN or CO.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Default No problem-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Helena, if you don't mind me asking...what is your occupation? DH and I went to college in east Tennessee and it is beautiful country. We are happy in Orlando right now, but are looking ahead to retirement and considering moving to the mountains somewhere in TN or CO.
I work at Mtn States Health/Johnson City Hospital as PR manager; the country is beautiful here- did you go to school at ETSU? My husband has his own landscape design co. It is actually a great area for kids- the school district Science Hill is very good. It is more traditional values/middle-America.

You might try sofrealestate.com- to see some houses. Happy to help. I dont mean to be negative on FL- then again I was further south than you are. I would just feel really bad for a young career person if they relocated to broward county, trying to find a decent job.

sincerely,
sunnyhelena

Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
A friend of mine moved to Manchester TN a few years ago. He now makes close to 80,000 a year as a parts manager for auto parts chain! This is a guy who was making 24,000 in Miami. Oh and you want to know what his house is worth? 220,000. It has 50 acres and isn't far from the highway. Evidently less desirable homes sell for as little as 50K! I am so upset as even being part owner of a company I am lucky to clear 30K this year! I talked to him for two hours and keep thinking, Rick why are you still in Florida? Why inthe world is it so bad here, WHY??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida