Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 124,236 times

Advertisements

I've seen alot a threads on who's moving to FL....How about the flip side.
Where are you moving to and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
NH to get back to my family where i was born and lived until i was 18. Been in FL 14 years and it's been long enough being away from "home". Time to go back.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Left last year and glad we did. I was tired of the grouchy people in SWFL, the red tide,
the hurricane we had in 2004 (Charlie), the waiting game for the commisioners to do what they promised, HOT weather more than usual, missing my fam. and friends back up north.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 124,236 times
Default good for you....

I lived in Fl. for 37 years. A true native I guess you can say. I hate whats become of the state. I can say for sure that I will not miss the heat. I have always enjoyed colder weather. My wife and I moved to PA and love it. We live in the mountains and we feel at home. The pays about the same and even with the taxes we save about 5,000.00 per year. Our homeowners ins is 450.00 per year....I nearly chocked...we were paying over 2k in fl. We used to run the a.c year round in FL. so the heating vs. A.C. is is about the same......electric runs about 50.00 mo. and car ins. for the both of us runs 614.00. Property tax/school runs @ 1300.00. We might have stayed if it were more affordable but we do not regret our move and are in our 3rd year. We sold our house at the peek and made out well.....I hope those who are leaving fair just as well...good luck

Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
You will all be back, I said all of the same things you said, and here I am 7 months later, back in Florida... Ask Tarastomsgirl, she will agree with me....

Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
You will all be back, I said all of the same things you said, and here I am 7 months later, back in Florida... Ask Tarastomsgirl, she will agree with me....
I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money that i won't be back. Not that i don't like Florida but there's nothing like going back home to family after living down here by myself for so long. Best of all, i don't have to worry about a job because i work at home and it's coming with me. I enjoyed living here in FL and was glad i got to experience another side of the U.S.

Tarastomsgirl is not someone to compare us all to. She's lived in FL for what, 27 years and then decides to move away from her family to a place she knows absolutely nobody, a place that has the exact opposite weather she's used of, moved during the fall/winter months and took a $70,000 cut in pay? I don't know if that was such a great move but i'm glad she's able to come back home where she belongs and she'll be happy again.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I moved from "home" too, my home will always be Massachusetts, BUT, I went there after 13 years of Florida to find out I did not want to deal with the weather anymore. I love it there, I really do, but the cold was just too much. I have family in both states, so I am ok with family. It's weather that drove me back here 3 weeks ago. I even left a good job with great people whom I miss greatly... But we all have different reasons for what we do, I decided my home was not what I needed. I just need a week or 2 a year of "home" to make me feel less homesick.... Get what I mean?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:59 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,798 times
We are moving to Oklahoma (most likely). My husband hates Florida.We want to move somewhere cheaper.We are shooting for either Tulsa metro or Oklahoma City metro areas.

We know better than to expect things to be perfect wherever we end up. My husband will still be disabled in chronic pain. My daughter will still be autistic. I will still have to find a new job. The truth is that my side of the family has not been in Florida for a long time now. My parents retired to Arkansas , my grandmother passed away years ago and my sister lives about 4 hours away in Melbourne. My husband has very few relatives here that he is even close to other than his mom and the brother that lives with her.

Up until about a year and a half ago we would have had the option of saying here and putting a house on the land that my husband was supposed to inherit from his parents. Then his older brother cheated her out of all her land, so there went that option.

So many bad things have happened to us since we came back to Florida from Texas in 2001. I wish we had never come back and if we could leave tomorrow I would. The day we see the "Now leaving Florida" sign in our rear view mirror will be like being re-born and there will be NO coming back to live here EVER again. Hubby and I have each lived here for over thirty years and that is way longer than either of us ever wanted to. Our teenage son, who is in tenth grade, wants us to stay until he graduates in two years and we have only grudgingly agreed to do so.If, at any time , he says "Mom and Dad I have had it here" we will start making plans to leave immediately.

Oh and we will not know a single soul in Oklahoma.We really do not care, if there will be absalutly no family around for hundreds of miles.

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 03-06-2008 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I moved last month and am so glad I did, the jobs, weather, spanish all around, wages, poor city planning, greedy business owners, tourists..... I could go on and on and on. Good luck to those who stay!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
I said the same exact thing when I left Florida. Ironically enough, more bad things have happened to me in Atlanta than ever happened in 20+ years in Floridaland. Oh, hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida