Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 PM

33 posts, read 31,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Tampa has plenty around for 400k homes.
Are you taking into account the school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:48 PM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
Does this mean that I am too old for Sarasota, or it's too old for me?

I am inclined to the east coast overall, as it seems less muggy and the water quality seems better.
I mean Sarasota is a very popular retirement/snowbird destination (as is most of SW FL). I wouldn't consider it with young kids. Not a great place to raise a family IMO.

It seems to me that most of the people in this thread are ignoring the fact that you have young children and you're not of retirement age. I think you should take a look around at the neighborhoods and schools in the Jacksonville area.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Any feelings on Panama beach or Naples/Ft. Meyers? I've never been to either place, but have heard good things, and both look pretty awesome.
Haven't been to PCB but I work with a couple guys who used to live there. They say it's boring and the schools aren't that great.

Naples and Fort Myers, again, lots of blue hairs. Don't get suckered in by pretty pictures. Look at demographic info and school ratings. Also, Naples is expensive as crap.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticPalm View Post
Are you taking into account the school district?
I think most schools are so so at best. Never had kids so never think about schools.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If i had to pick a place in Tampa it would be Danashores by the airport. Waterfront homes at around 350 k and up and about 25 mins to Clearwater beach. I lived there for 41 years before moving on the gulf.
Waterfront homes that cost 350k because they're not all that nice, and the flood insurance right on the bay like that has to be ASTRONOMICALLY high I would imagine.

If I were you, I would make damned sure to not buy a house in a flood or hurricane evacuation zone. Everyone's different, though.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Waterfront homes that cost 350k because they're not all that nice, and the flood insurance right on the bay like that has to be ASTRONOMICALLY high I would imagine.

If I were you, I would make damned sure to not buy a house in a flood or hurricane evacuation zone. Everyone's different, though.
I am in flood zone A but go bare since i paid cash for my house. Saved enough to buy another house in the last 14 years.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
Hello. So this is probably the 1,000,000th time this has been asked, but I am seriously considering moving to Florida.

I currently live in Colorado and have for most of my life. I live at 9,000 feet. I am now 40 with 3 kids, aged 0-7, and am burned out on the cold. I can make a good chunk of change on my current house, so I am looking at spending up to 400K. I want to live closeish to the beach and must have a pool. I have a job that allows me to work from home 4 days a week, and I only have to live within 2 hours of my office. I can transfer to offices in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Ft. Meyers, St. Pete, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville. So basically I can live anywhere in the state and traffic is not much of a factor for me.

Yes I have searched the forum archives. Yes I am aware of bugs, snakes, gators, unbearable heat, etc. Yes I understand that pest control, insane property taxes (relatively for me anyway), pool maintenance, and insane electricity bills are to be expected and factored in. If I can't take it I can always transfer back (or to somewhere else) in 2 years. Obviously my main consideration (after the beach and a pool!) is quality of education/life for my kids. I have been to Florida many times, mainly Ft. Lauderdale, St. Pete's Bradenton, Duendin, and treasure cost.

Being from Colorado, I am pretty into privacy and open space. I am not into HOAs, etc. However, I accept that I will have to deal with fairly close proximity to neighbors and HOA nuttiness. I understand I cannot afford to live on the beach, but would love to be as close as possible.

I have basically narrowed my areas of consideration down to the following and would appreciate any input about which area would be best.

1. Anywhere from Sarasota to Duendin (including St. Pete's, etc);

2. Space coast/Merritt Island, down to North end of treasure coast;

3. Ft. Myers/Naples area

4. Panama City/Eastport/St. George

Open to all other suggestions or perspectives from those who have done the mountain to beach lifestyle transition.

Thanks!
Considering your conditions and requirements I would choose one of these 3 options;
- St John's/Ponte Vedra
- Viera/Melbourne
- Palm Harbor/East Lake/Oldsmar

Old 04-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I am in flood zone A but go bare since i paid cash for my house. Saved enough to buy another house in the last 14 years.
Precisely. So you are literally the polar opposite of MrGuy and his needs.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:52 PM

73 posts, read 107,248 times
Quote:
Hello. So this is probably the 1,000,000th time this has been asked, but I am seriously considering moving to Florida.

I currently live in Colorado and have for most of my life. I live at 9,000 feet. I am now 40 with 3 kids, aged 0-7, and am burned out on the cold. I can make a good chunk of change on my current house, so I am looking at spending up to 400K. I want to live closeish to the beach and must have a pool. I have a job that allows me to work from home 4 days a week, and I only have to live within 2 hours of my office. I can transfer to offices in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Ft. Meyers, St. Pete, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville. So basically I can live anywhere in the state and traffic is not much of a factor for me.

Yes I have searched the forum archives. Yes I am aware of bugs, snakes, gators, unbearable heat, etc. Yes I understand that pest control, insane property taxes (relatively for me anyway), pool maintenance, and insane electricity bills are to be expected and factored in. If I can't take it I can always transfer back (or to somewhere else) in 2 years. Obviously my main consideration (after the beach and a pool!) is quality of education/life for my kids. I have been to Florida many times, mainly Ft. Lauderdale, St. Pete's Bradenton, Duendin, and treasure cost.

Being from Colorado, I am pretty into privacy and open space. I am not into HOAs, etc. However, I accept that I will have to deal with fairly close proximity to neighbors and HOA nuttiness. I understand I cannot afford to live on the beach, but would love to be as close as possible.

I have basically narrowed my areas of consideration down to the following and would appreciate any input about which area would be best.

1. Anywhere from Sarasota to Duendin (including St. Pete's, etc);

Sarasota is upscale, beautiful. St. Petersburg is a vibrant city with a lot to do; Dunedin is a cute area.
I prefer the west coast of Florida over the east coast. More liberal, if that's what you're into, more cultural offerings. Less "riff-raff."

2. Space coast/Merritt Island, down to North end of treasure coast;

This area seems like it never recovered from the 07-08 market crash (and a series of hurricanes). Very affordable, for the most part. But it seems run down.

3. Ft. Myers/Naples area

Nice areas. Like a few locations in Florida, the area can suffer from fires (forest to the east.) Naples very recently suffered a major fire and people were evacuated (not along the beach!).

4. Panama City/Eastport/St. George

The panhandle, along with places in east Central Florida--like eastern part of Volusia County--has the reputation of being "the Redneck Riviera."

Open to all other suggestions or perspectives from those who have done the mountain to beach lifestyle transition.

Thanks!
Floridians missing the mountains tend to vacation in the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina -- up to a 10 hour drive or, of course, a much shorter flight.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Tallahassee is always nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida