Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM

15 posts, read 16,582 times

Advertisements

I have read from some mothers in FL that there are long waiting lists for occupational, speech, and behavioral therapies (which my son needs and gets now in Indiana ... And he got established with all of these within two weeks). Any truth about these waiting lists? Sounds like we need to stay where we are, but I am scared to express this to my husband as he really wants to move to Florida and *thinks* he would be happy there and that his unhappiness would go away like magic..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It's true. As the flood of people moving in from other states continues, it stretches the state's resources thin and thanks to the fact we don't have a state income tax and rely on federal funding, many programs are operating at budgets that were in place 10 years ago. If you're well-insured it shouldn't be a problem, but if you plan to be a burden on the state's Medicare allotments I would prepare to have to wait a good long while.

Florida's special-needs families run into wait list that's 10 years long - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
OP, you really don't want to move to Florida, do you?

Tell your hubby you dont want to move. We really don't need another person that moves here under duress and then all we get are threads about how they hate it here and they are miserable.

So far we've had this thread, a thread about sharks and alligators and a thread about fears about moving to Florida. Edit to add: forgot the thread about German cockroaches...

I understand the importance of due diligence but it isn't even balanced with anything good! Instead of looking at oceans and beaches, you're looking for sharks and alligators. You're looking for things you can hand to your hubby to say "This is why we cant move there". Instead of finding reasons, just tell him: you. don't. want. to. move.

Obviously you and he need to have a serious discussion since you *think* it won't be a good move.

What is it that your husband *thinks* will get better with the move?

Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
OP, you really don't want to move to Florida, do you?

Tell your hubby you dont want to move. We really don't need another person that moves here under duress and then all we get are threads about how they hate it here and they are miserable.

So far we've had this thread, a thread about sharks and alligators and a thread about fears about moving to Florida. Edit to add: forgot the thread about German cockroaches...

I understand the importance of due diligence but it isn't even balanced with anything good! Instead of looking at oceans and beaches, you're looking for sharks and alligators. You're looking for things you can hand to your hubby to say "This is why we cant move there". Instead of finding reasons, just tell him: you. don't. want. to. move.

Obviously you and he need to have a serious discussion since you *think* it won't be a good move.

What is it that your husband *thinks* will get better with the move?
Great question and astonishing how so many think everything changes when you get to Florida. I spend so much time on this forum trying to illustrate to people how Orlando/Central Florida (and most of the state) is no longer considered affordable for most given higher varying costs (housing/insurance/groceries) along with sub-par wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: