Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

A new report shows how much hourly employees need to earn in order to rent a two-bedroom apartment without spending over a third of their income in each of the 50 states. Florida ranks roughly 13th in the cost of housing per wage hour (tied with Illinois) and 40th for median income. Other than Nevada no other state suffers nearly as much inequity and hopefully serves a cautionary tale to those moving here minus adequate employment.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...l-fifty-states
Median Wages by State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 20,413 times
Thanks for posting. This was the only reason why I relocated back to DC *sigh*

Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Look at rents in the DC area, it is hard to find a rental in DC or the inner burbs for less than $1800 a month. If you don't have a high paying job the area is unaffordable. There are lots of commuters that travel over 90 minutes each way in DCs xburbs.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A new report shows how much hourly employees need to earn in order to rent a two-bedroom apartment without spending over a third of their income in each of the 50 states. Florida ranks roughly 13th in the cost of housing per wage hour (tied with Illinois) and 40th for median income. Other than Nevada no other state suffers nearly as much inequity and hopefully serves a cautionary tale to those moving here minus adequate employment.

Median Wages by State
I literally hear the complaint almost on a daily basis on how low Florida pay is compared to states to the north. I'm not talking about the North Eastern states but other states further up in the south and Midwest.

Teachers in my county get paid a dismal rate. Some counties in South Florida they can't find teachers because of the low pay and high cost to find good housing in a safe area.

At one time in Collier County they were even talking of building houses for government employees because the housing cost are so bad it's hard to find good workers to live there.

Looking at that chart it's pretty sad how hourly wages have gone down in many states since 2007 even though everything cost MORE now. The gubermint says there is no inflation though. BS. Everything is costing more for me.

What I don't get is the low paying states on that chart that pay low are also rural states mostly like Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas. Missouri, Montana which in general have cheap cost of living and a lot cheaper housing hence lower pay. Here in Florida the pay isn't very good and the housing isn't cheap in many areas and the wages are not higher to make up for it like they are in other areas of the country.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,454,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Looking at that chart it's pretty sad how hourly wages have gone down in many states since 2007 even though everything cost MORE now. The gubermint says there is no inflation though. BS. Everything is costing more for me.

What I don't get is the low paying states on that chart that pay low are also rural states mostly like Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas. Missouri, Montana which in general have cheap cost of living and a lot cheaper housing hence lower pay. Here in Florida the pay isn't very good and the housing isn't cheap in many areas and the wages are not higher to make up for it like they are in other areas of the country.
Years ago when I joined CD it was in the hopes I'd find somewhere where somehow the wages and living expenses fitted me better.
I'm not saying I've searched every thread on here by any means, but I've been open to the idea that I'd have to move somewhere where the climate was undesirable to me and I wouldn't know anyone.
I can't find a place in the country where average people like me can do much more than survive.
I've read countless threads in various areas throughout the country.
I was married to Dr Bigshot and his income was between $350-750K..
He left South Florida because of the insane COL and politics. FWIW
It's pathetic and I blame our politicians.
Every single one.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-18-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Median Wages by State
Not a bad situation compared to other desirable states, cali and ny are in much worse shape. Of course rural states are going to be cheaper to afford.

Next thing you're going to tell me the sky is blue, the grass is green and traffic is getting worse every year in FL.

Last edited by chopchop0; 05-18-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
He left South Florida because of the insane COL and politics. FWIW
It's pathetic and I blame our politicians.
Every single one.
Really! He left S. FL due to the COL when he was making between $350-$750K. What, was only the penthouse in the highest building acceptable?

I would think you could afford to live comfortably anywhere on $350-$750K.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
He left South Florida because of the insane COL.
South FL =/= socal or SF. $750K will let you live like a king in many parts of S FL.

I'm calling bs on your post

Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,454,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
South FL =/= socal or SF. $750K will let you live like a king in many parts of S FL.

I'm calling bs on your post
I don't care

Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Really! He left S. FL due to the COL when he was making between $350-$750K. What, was only the penthouse in the highest building acceptable?

I would think you could afford to live comfortably anywhere on $350-$750K.
I agree. However people have different standards of living they feel they must have. 750k and can't live the way they want though is pretty bad. Even in Miami 750 is a ton of money. Many pro sport athletes in the NHL and MLB don't even make 750k a season or near that after taxes.

750k a year puts you pretty much at the top end of wage earners in this country. Most small business owners don't even make near that.

I call BS on that.

Back to the topic though, there are cheaper places to live but it's hard to find somewhere that pays big and has cheap housing. Your best bet is living somewhere where it's cheaper and it will be colder, but not bone chilling cold like Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, Arkansas and find a job in your field. While it's not Florida warm, at least winters are not as brutal as the northeast and it's still somewhat tolerable the cold weather. I'm from Missouri and the southern half of the state the winters are pretty mild overall. In southern Missouri you get several days in the winter where temps get into the 60s and 70s. Tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida