Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times

Advertisements

Curious to know what your budget is. To have all the things you want the very north end of Palm Beach County -Jupiter/Tequesta/Palm Beach Gardens area would probably fit the bill - as well as fit your age. That area is not the cheapest in Florida, but having lived there myself, I can tell you that everything but affordable homes on your list is at your fingertips. I guess it's what you consider "affordable".

Plenty to do, great free beaches just moments away, plenty of cultural things, age appropriate, great shopping at the Gardens Mall, business job market. I personally loved living there and miss that area still. Moving further south than the PGA Blvd area will put you in traffic headaches and a completely different feel.

I am only 30-40 minutes away north and will head that way for all my fun, cultural, and shopping needs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Curious to know what your budget is. To have all the things you want the very north end of Palm Beach County -Jupiter/Tequesta/Palm Beach Gardens area would probably fit the bill - as well as fit your age. That area is not the cheapest in Florida, but having lived there myself, I can tell you that everything but affordable homes on your list is at your fingertips. I guess it's what you consider "affordable".

Plenty to do, great free beaches just moments away, plenty of cultural things, age appropriate, great shopping at the Gardens Mall, business job market. I personally loved living there and miss that area still. Moving further south than the PGA Blvd area will put you in traffic headaches and a completely different feel.

I am only 30-40 minutes away north and will head that way for all my fun, cultural, and shopping needs!
Good to know. Are the schools good? Is it a good place for people with young children? I have a 10 yr old and am looking at Jupiter, coming from NJ. It's not the price of the house that is the real problem, it's the property taxes. I am used to high taxes here but don't think I would make as much money in FL. I would be willing to take a little less money to trade for the weather, but my concern is that I heard it takes 2 yrs to establish residency and qualify for the homestead rebate. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM

There are some very good schools in Jupiter /Tequesta area and a good place for children as well. Here is a link you can look at for schools. Jupiter Tequesta Juno Beach Chamber of Commerce: Education (broken link)

Establishing residency is simple. It takes changing your drivers license, getting a Florida car tag, and/or registering to vote.

You must be a resident by Dec 31 of the prior year to apply for Homestead between Jan 1 and by March 1st. At the time of application you need to go in person to the Property Appraisers office and produce a copy of:
  1. Recorded deed reflecting property owner, or alternatively, a tax bill reflecting the legal description and owner's name ]
  2. Florida automobile registration and Florida drivers license or Florida ID card
  3. Palm Beach County voter registration card or Declaration of Domicile
  4. Citizenship is not required to file for homestead exemption but a permanent resident alien card (green card) will be requested
  5. Mobile Home Owners can get homestead exemption if they own the land to which the mobile home is permanently affixed. The Title or Registration to the mobile home and residency of documentation are needed.
As I mentioned, I was very happy living there. The prices did increase, as they all did during the boom, but they are down now as well. Maybe not as much as where I am a bit north of there in Martin and St. Lucie counties since it is a very popular area. I can honestly say there was no "bad" area I can think of, just don't go further south in to West Palm Beach without knowing where you are going.

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 03-10-2008 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: taking out spacing from cut and paste info

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,686 times
Talking Thank You All!

Hi All,
Thank you SO MUCH for all the input and help! It's given us a lot to think about. We had been looking at Jacksonville, but after reading the forums, the crime rate seems to be quite discouraging. Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa look like they have some good comic/sci-fi conventions, so we were thinking they might have some good artsy/geeky fun stuff too. Any thoughts???

Several people asked about our housing budget and job interests. Housing budget would probably be below $250k for a decent single family home. Job interest for my wife would be looking for something along the lines of marketing support. For myself, I'd be looking for freelance/part-time tech support work or art work (due to chronic back pain I can't work full-time, but we hope that might gradually change in Florida.).
Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,320 times
Talking Sarasota County!

It sounds to me like you should be looking at Sarasota County. The City of Sarasota is currently hosting it's Season of Sculpture, an outdoor art installation of several (20?) different pieces of varying sizes lining Sarasota Bay. My husband and I just saw Branford Marsalis at the Van Wezel on Saturday night. Sarasota is home to the Ca D'Zan & Asolo Theatre... Marie Selby Gardens... Burns Court Cinema... just Google some of these things to see if you agree. There is also an annual blues festival, several outdoor art festivals, an annual wine fest, annual film festival... and more I know I am forgetting. If you can act quickly, you can probably find something in your price-range. Or, if you are willing to drive 20 miles to all of the action, you have your pick of many houses under your budget (in North Port).

And as for some of the bigger conventions/concerts,Tampa is only one hour away... Orlando is two.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNocturne View Post
Hi All,
Thank you SO MUCH for all the input and help! It's given us a lot to think about. We had been looking at Jacksonville, but after reading the forums, the crime rate seems to be quite discouraging. Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa look like they have some good comic/sci-fi conventions, so we were thinking they might have some good artsy/geeky fun stuff too. Any thoughts???

Several people asked about our housing budget and job interests. Housing budget would probably be below $250k for a decent single family home. Job interest for my wife would be looking for something along the lines of marketing support. For myself, I'd be looking for freelance/part-time tech support work or art work (due to chronic back pain I can't work full-time, but we hope that might gradually change in Florida.).
Thanks again!

If you are coming to Florida without a job (and without a wad of cash) then rent, rent, rent!!

This forum is filled with stories of people who moved here for the weather. They had no jobs and were shocked to discover the payscale so low and living expenses so high they needed two or three jobs to make ends meet. It's called the sunshine tax.

You will be OK with a 250K house but I would absolutely research what jobs pay in your field.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM

ok..posting again - I would not be looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area for a move. Most people are looking to move OUT of that area- Broward and Dade counties.

I live a bit north of Palm Beach County - north of the Jupiter/Tequesta/Palm Beach Gardens area I posted about earlier. One of the reasons is price. You won't find much under $250 in that area, but you will where I am. Lots of people do communte back and forth for the better paying jobs but live up here for the cost of housing. Plenty of artsy things going on here and you can easily get to a multitude of others. More laid back type of lifestyle which seems more like what you're looking for.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
ok..posting again - I would not be looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area for a move. Most people are looking to move OUT of that area- Broward and Dade counties.
People who are looking to leave that area are usually priced-out young families looking for an affordable home in a quieter area if they could not afford the better areas in Ft. Lauderdale, which there are some quieter areas. Realize the only city in Florida that ranks safer than PSL is Coral Springs, which is in Broward, but it certainly comes at a price. The city of Ft. Lauderdale is also safer than West Palm and Miami and has quite a bit more to do than West P//www.city-data.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3102187
Edit/Delete Messagealm, and is about a half hour drive to Miami Beach versus an hour and a half from WPB. If you are single and make over 50 grand there is no reason to be afraid to go south of PGA Blvd. Maybe the Dade County line, but not PGA Blvd as there are plenty of decent areas in close proximity to more activities than one might fine in Port Saint Lucie, which may I add doesn't even have better schools than the depressed areas of Broward/Palm Beach County, let alone the decent areas. Martin County is the place to look for family-friendly for a little less, IMO.

Hollywood Schools - Hollywood Public Schools - Hollywood School Ratings - Best Hollywood Schools
Port St. Lucie Schools - Port St. Lucie Public Schools - Port St. Lucie School Ratings - Best Port St. Lucie Schools
So even if someone was looking for PSL with a family, that's pretty embarrassing right there IMO. Nothing less than a "9" out of 10 for my kids in Florida rankings. So therefore the only real advantage PSL has to any person is cheaper housing and less crowding, let alone looking for an arts and music scene and good shopping, LOL!

I'm still sticking with my Pinellas County suggestion because of the affordable homes part, like around downtown St. Petersburg. Or maybe the South Tampa area.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-11-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Default Martin County

Look at Martin County. It's North of West Palm Beach. It's more of a bedroom community, but some bio-tech is moving here. Most of the jobs were construction related and service. The cost of homes is not so bad now and a large inventory on the market now. Crime is low, insurance is not bad depending on location, age of home. Nice beaches and golf. Worth a look.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM

157 posts, read 601,148 times
look into St. Johns County
I've been through the research and had the same criterias you do and that's the closest that I got to have them all.
Coral Springs in Broward county is the lowest crime rate and has everything else BUT affordable housing, which I believe is going to change soon (a couple of years) as the real estate market readjusts itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida