Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Really, which public opinion poll are you siting? Or just channeling the anger of someone who didn't like it? I'm going to take the easy guess and suggest the latter...
CA also has a very high poverty level and all the money some people make does not help that. A States GDP does not mean that much to the majority of residents. Many States with a much lower GDP are better COL of living States than CA. They also have a lot of good things to. Now I am not speaking of wayyy North States with a ton of snow.

Oh, I was born and raised in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Maybe I feel the state is developing too quickly because I bounce between Manatee and Lee counties. Those two areas have seen a lot of growth in recent years.
Most States have desirable areas that people want to live in and next are those areas close. The population of the US is growing so more people will live everywhere and more people will want to move to States like FL. No escape.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:33 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
CA also has a very high poverty level and all the money some people make does not help that. A States GDP does not mean that much to the majority of residents. Many States with a much lower GDP are better COL of living States than CA. They also have a lot of good things to. Now I am not speaking of wayyy North States with a ton of snow.

Oh, I was born and raised in CA.
Well, I was born and raised right here in FL which also has a very high poverty level and probably the worst case of income inequality in the country, which is continuing to rise as rents go up and already sub-par salaries remain stagnant. So the premise of being better off is quite false and yet people continue to pour in left/right. Most Floridians don't seem to grasp the concept of a sustainable economy and what we're sliding into certainly isn't that.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Most States have desirable areas that people want to live in and next are those areas close. The population of the US is growing so more people will live everywhere and more people will want to move to States like FL. No escape.
No map where you are? There are areas of Florida and pretty much every other state in the US where development/overdevelopment are nowhere near a danger over the course of our lifetime. I don't get the doom and gloom mentality of no escape from it other than a complete lack of understanding of the reality of population density.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...on-density.gif

Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Charlotte County has had a 4.7% population growth in 15 years, from 308,000 to 323,000. That's hardly cataclysmic numbers if you consider the average growth rate in the US over the same time period was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5%. It's really interesting to hear how perception varies against fact, and how strident some are in proclaiming end of the world over-development...which isn't obviously the case in many instances around Florida.

There are "statistics", and then there are real life observations over time. The so-called "statistics", pulled from who knows where, well, we know how valid those can be. Especially when they're used by those who never question any stats ( or consider how, when they were gathered, who gathered or processed those stats and for what motives) to try and convince those at the scenes they didn't see what they saw.

Just ask anyone who lives or who has spent much time in Charlotte County recently how much growth and development is not happening.

Last edited by Travelassie; 04-27-2017 at 06:00 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 06:05 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
No map where you are? There are areas of Florida and pretty much every other state in the US where development/overdevelopment are nowhere near a danger over the course of our lifetime. I don't get the doom and gloom mentality of no escape from it other than a complete lack of understanding of the reality of population density.

Go back and read your last post, #33. Contrast this post with the last one, and consider again your stance on "doom and gloom" perspectives as regards to Florida.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I was born and raised right here in FL which also has a very high poverty level and probably the worst case of income inequality in the country, which is continuing to rise as rents go up and already sub-par salaries remain stagnant. So the premise of being better off is quite false and yet people continue to pour in left/right. Most Floridians don't seem to grasp the concept of a sustainable economy and what we're sliding into certainly isn't that.
All desirable States have that problem due to the number of people.It is getting worse for Millennials. FL still is a lower COL State than CA. CA has a overall poverty level above that of FL (CA highest in the Nation and FL is second).

I am looking to move to either CA or FL. In simply comparing costs FL is wayyy ahead.

Example a house I may buy, new build, within 8 miles of the beach on the East Coast of FL would cost 1/3 or less what the same house would cost in the same location in SoCal (Basically under $320,000.00 in FL and well over $950,000.00 in CA ). The property tax in FL is higher, but the actual amount to be paid would be far less in FL and the savings in buying the home in FL is huge, $630,000.00. Then no State Income tax makes it even better. SoCal has better weather, but that is about it. I can afford SoCal, I just hate throwing my money away to live in traffic like So East FL has. It isn't worth it and I know this as I was born and raised in SoCal and left 7 years ago.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Did I say anything about in our lifetime?

The problem is not simply the size and population of the State, rather the growth in the desirable areas of a State. Micanopy is nothing like Tampa, but where do people prefer to live in general? This is a real understanding not one just based on numbers that do not consider where people actually live. based on numbers CA is wayyy underpopulated. Now try and buy a nice home for $150,000.00 in SoCal or Miami. You can do that in many places in FL and in CA, but most people are not moving into those areas.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM

216 posts, read 327,818 times
Quote:
All desirable States have that problem due to the number of people.It is getting worse for Millennials. FL still is a lower COL State than CA. CA has a overall poverty level above that of FL (CA highest in the Nation and FL is second).

I am looking to move to either CA or FL. In simply comparing costs FL is wayyy ahead.

Example a house I may buy, new build, within 8 miles of the beach on the East Coast of FL would cost 1/3 or less what the same house would cost in the same location in SoCal (Basically under $320,000.00 in FL and well over $950,000.00 in CA ). The property tax in FL is higher, but the actual amount to be paid would be far less in FL and the savings in buying the home in FL is huge, $630,000.00. Then no State Income tax makes it even better. SoCal has better weather, but that is about it. I can afford SoCal, I just hate throwing my money away to live in traffic like So East FL has. It isn't worth it and I know this as I was born and raised in SoCal and left 7 years ago.
I agree completely having lived in both SoCal and now SE FL. When you said property taxes were higher, I think you meant the tax RATE is higher but the overall tax is less. Also $950k wouldn't buy much in SoCal that near the beach these days. The prices are truly unreal.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
I agree completely having lived in both SoCal and now SE FL. When you said property taxes were higher, I think you meant the tax RATE is higher but the overall tax is less. Also $950k wouldn't buy much in SoCal that near the beach these days. The prices are truly unreal.
Yes, the tax rate % is higher in FL but the actual amount to be paid is small compared to CA, due to the price differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida