Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM

307 posts, read 330,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's all kinds of data sets to choose from so one doesn't supersede the other solely based on driving one narrative. Wallethub ranked Florida #42 for Millennials in 2017 so explain how Miami is ranked #2 in the US on another study? https://wallethub.com/edu/best-state...ennials/33371/

Most of the top ranked states on that list are mostly rural, low density states. That's why Florida ranks so low, it's mostly urban. New York ranks only 5 spots above Florida for the same reason. Do you really think New York isn't a top place for millennials? These two states have a lot of urban areas and all the problems that come with being urban, something those top ranked states just don't have. When ranking individual cities or metro areas, those rankings can flip flop dramatically. Do you really think North Dakota is the top ranked state for millennials?

Let's with honest with ourselves here. Ask any millennial where they would want to move to in Florida. Do you think more are going to say the Tampa Bay area or the Miami area? It's widely known what most of the answers will be, and you're in denial if you think otherwise.

Quote:
In 2016 the same methodology found Miami proper ranked #92 in the state. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...or-jobs/21610/
I posted a link from 2017 and you post one the same one from 2016? Do you really believe the Tampa area is better than the Miami area for jobs? Take a look below. If you want numerous other recent sources I'll post them for you. The Miami area cities rank high on these lists, while the Tampa ones do not.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

Best cities to find a job in 2017 - Business Insider

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/fina...-seekers-2017/

Quote:
This year Niche ranked two Tampa neighborhoods #1 and #2 above Brickell in Miami (at #3) as Best Places for Millennials in 2017. Eleven of the Top 20 neighborhoods mentioned are in Tampa, Orlando had 8 (all but one out of the Top 10) and Miami just the one at #3 until all the way down at #22.
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...als/s/florida/

Oh we're ranking individual neighborhoods now? The difference is Brickell, and the other places listed for Miami, are huge in population. Brickell alone has over 50,000 people. The ones ranked for Tampa have a couple thousand at most. Here's another list just like yours that shows the Miami area blowing away the Tampa area in the top 100. We can go back and forth all day with lists and data. Maybe we should take a poll of where millennials would like to move to more?

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...als/s/florida/

Last edited by pinytr; 04-28-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,222 times
Millenials are in record debt and a large percentage are in delayed adulthood living with their parents because they are un/underemployed or because they are saving money.

The ones who can move for job opportunities by default move to cities with large numbers of corporate headquarters because that's where the jobs are. Jobs first. Location second.

Unless you are bilingual or have specialized skills for the latin american market, Miami isn't a place some 22 year old from the University of Iowa with a marketing degree is going to want to move to because they wouldn't have the networks to find jobs there.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 PM

307 posts, read 330,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Millenials are in record debt and a large percentage are in delayed adulthood living with their parents because they are un/underemployed or because they are saving money.

The ones who can move for job opportunities by default move to cities with large numbers of corporate headquarters because that's where the jobs are. Jobs first. Location second.

Unless you are bilingual or have specialized skills for the latin american market, Miami isn't a place some 22 year old from the University of Iowa with a marketing degree is going to want to move to because they wouldn't have the networks to find jobs there.

You are seriously underestimating the attraction millennials have toward Miami, and South Florida in general for that matter. Just having the famous nightlife of South Beach alone will be a draw for millennials for years and years to come. Most metros in the U.S. have absolutely nothing to compare to it, and people are slowly realising that. They want to live the Miami beach lifestyle they have seen on t.v. and have heard about on websites such as this one. There is also a huge direct feed of millennials from NYC to South Florida, and I'm sure you already know the reasons behind that.

Take a look at the link below. It shows that millennials are flooding into Downtown Miami, and it's 90,000 population is now more than half young professionals. They are moving there for the unique combination of highrise urban living and famous South Beach nightlife. How many other metros have the massive scale of these two things right next to each other?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...104311866.html

This image below from the U.S. Census and Forbes shows that both Miami and South Florida ranks near the top of the list for Educated millennial growth between 2010 and 2015. It's also only beat percentage wise by a couple of smaller cities, and it's not far behind them either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau...ls-are-moving/

The next image shows the Miami metro having the largest numerical increase in population ages 20-29 out of any metro other than NYC and L.A. in the entire U.S. from 2010-2013.

Millennial Boomtowns: Where the Generation is Clustering (It's Not Downtown) | JAXUSA

I already posted a link from last month showing Miami ranking #2 for millennial attraction in the entire U.S. Here it is once again.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...llennials.html

I actually don't believe Miami ranks the highest in the U.S. for millennials, but I definitely believe it's above Tampa, which was what this whole discussion was about in the first place. I really think people underestimate the positive changes that have been going on down there as we speak, and that have been going for over a decade.

To your point about millennials moving to where large corporations and jobs are located. You do realize that both the population and GDP of the Miami metro and the Atlanta metro are almost exactly the same, right? Just because Atlanta has more Fortune 500 headquarters means nothing. The personal income of the Atlanta metro is actually behind the Miami metro by a few thousand, and that's even before state income taxes are factored in, which Florida has none.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...pi1116msa.xlsx

You also said something about needing to be bilingual to get a job around the Miami area. People seem to think that the entire metro area contains a lot of Spanish or non-English speakers. While that is sort of true, they are mainly clustered in certain areas. People also seem to think that because Miami city proper contains so many Spanish speakers that the whole metro is like that. When looking at the whole metro area things change drastically toward English, and the metro is comparable to other diverse U.S. metros in that regard.

The link below from the U.S. census shows the number of people over the age of 5 who speak English "less than very well" for both the Houston and Miami metros. Houston has 947,000 people out of 5.6 million, while Miami has 1.2 million out of 5.4 million. As you can see they are pretty much comparable, and I think most people would be surprised by the Miami metro numbers. The Los Angeles metro is also comprable. If you are bilingual that's actually a plus and that probably attracts even more millennials just from that reason alone. The Spanish speaking population is also learning English, and are stopping Spanish more and more each day, especially in business environments. In the last few decades English has been the growing language of choice for business worldwide, and the business world is learning it quickly out of necessity. The first generation immigrants are also dying off now, and their English speaking children are taking over the area, which happens to almost every city that receives a massive influx of immigrants at one time like Miami received.

http://www2.census.gov/library/data/...ables-cbsa.xls

Last edited by pinytr; 04-28-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Hey everyone! I've posted in the City vs City/General U.S. forum about a good place for young professionals with a health care management degree, however, most responses were a little to general, so I'd figure I'd post here.

What parts of Florida would you say would be good for a young single male who loves the beach, has a health care degree and doesn't mind traffic (grew up in Tri State area so it doesn't bother me too much)

I don't mind being around retirees too much, but don't want the median age of the city to be 80 years old either. My rent budget would be around 1300-1400 and also have family in SWFL if that helps. I also would highly consider Miami but I hear if you aren't fluent in Spanish it's difficult to find a job/friends.

Thanks!
Orlando
Delray Beach / Boca Raton
Fort Lauderdale
Miami

Would be my top 4 choices. I chose Orlando for me personally (late 20's, $100k income). My second choice would be somewhere in South Florida between Delray Beach to Miami

Last edited by bmw335xi; 04-28-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Tallahassee

Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
You are seriously underestimating the attraction millennials have toward Miami, and South Florida in general for that matter.
I find it hysterical that my two year old data set was invalid for current use, yet you're utilizing information from 2015 and 2013. Whatever works for you..

Old 04-29-2017, 11:15 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Whoa... I didn't realize my comment would spark such debate. The sources I have are articles posted by the City of Tampa's Twitter account over the last few months. Biased? Probably. But, the numbers were there. I'm just WAY too lazy to find it. I think the when it comes to Miami, it leads the state in population (meaning jobs would also follow) whereas Tampa is leading in growth (thus bringing a lot of new jobs in). A dude just bought up $60mil worth of Ybor to develop. Vinick and Gates in Channelside. There's Mark Sharpe in East Tampa. The mayor is working on the northern end of Downtown, Tampa Heights, and Seminole Heights.

But hey, if Miami is your thing, it's a cool little place. A little too busy for my taste. I prefer Tampa.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Hey everyone! I've posted in the City vs City/General U.S. forum about a good place for young professionals with a health care management degree, however, most responses were a little to general, so I'd figure I'd post here.

What parts of Florida would you say would be good for a young single male who loves the beach, has a health care degree and doesn't mind traffic (grew up in Tri State area so it doesn't bother me too much)

I don't mind being around retirees too much, but don't want the median age of the city to be 80 years old either. My rent budget would be around 1300-1400 and also have family in SWFL if that helps. I also would highly consider Miami but I hear if you aren't fluent in Spanish it's difficult to find a job/friends.

Thanks!
I am a biomedical engineer with an MPH who has worked in Florida. I lived mostly in Tallahassee but also worked in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Panama City.

The I-4 Corridor is usually great for recent college graduates embarking on a career - particularly in healthcare administration. I know many MPH graduates from FSU, UF, and USF who started great careers in that area. The I-4 Corridor stretches from Daytona Beach to Tampa. The suggestions of Tampa/St. Pete's are very good. I almost moved from Tallahassee to Orlando back in March. But I returned to my home state of Arizona.

Other cities outside of Florida for your field would be Austin, TX, Denver, and Chandler, AZ. But in FL I would recommend the I-4 Corridor for a "YUPPIE" option in healthcare. I have multiple graduate degrees - one in public health. I also have an MS in Software Engineering which helped me get back to AZ by far. I do data warehouse testing.

Healthcare and clinical data mining are strong options to elevate your career options. Check out the MIS programs in the area for business intelligence and electronic health records. CVS seeks data mining experts with healthcare backgrounds. So do many other healthcare companies.
Coursework | Master of Science in Management Information Systems | USF Muma College of Business
https://www.cohpa.ucf.edu/hmi/

Just go to "dice.com" and search for these key words in Florida to find a healthcare job in information technology:
* EHR
* HL7
* X12
* FDA
* GMP
* 21 CFR Part 11
* Medicare
* Medicaid
* ICD-10
* DICOM
* clinical data mining

Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 PM

405 posts, read 476,317 times
Any more suggestions? Really just looking for an area by the beach with a decent (doesn't have to be majority) amount of young people/jobs in my field

Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,222 times
Ft. Myers, Sarasota, Tampa/St. Pete, West Palm Beach, Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, St. Augustine, Jacksonville. You aren't going to have that much trouble finding health care jobs in Florida with all the old people everywhere.

I think Jacksonville is probably one of the best "values" in Florida. Nice combination of reasonable cost of living and good diverse economy not dependent on low wage tourist type jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida