Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

I already know that Florida doesn't have a state income tax. I have been interested in moving to Florida since I graduated college but haven't been able to find employment in my over-taxed northern state (Rhode Island). Even minimum wage jobs are completely scarce.

There's something I need to know about Florida. Does Florida tax your car indefinitely like Rhode Island?

A person could have bought a car in 1980 and in 2016 they would still be paying some sort of tax on it, and Rhode Island uses the highest amount above a blue-book value and above what a person could actually get from selling their car to another person by every reasonable calculation.

I heard that most states only charge a property tax on a person's car for the first four years, then no property tax on the car after those four years. I think those four years mean the first four years when the car was purchased so a 2010 car shouldn't be taxable. I have a 2016 car so I'm hoping to find an inexpensive place with low taxes and good opportunity for jobs. I also hope that by 2020 wherever I end up it isn't taxed anymore beyond four tax years: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:04 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
While Florida doesn't tax cars you may have the same difficulty finding a decent well-paying job here unless your in a high demand field like IT, healthcare or engineering. Florida has one of the highest ratios of applicants to living wage jobs (30K or more) in the country, so unless you can plan to save a good sum of money to live on for 8-10 months while looking for work wouldn't suggest planning to move here minus a job offer in place.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
While Florida doesn't tax cars you may have the same difficulty finding a decent well-paying job here unless your in a high demand field like IT, healthcare or engineering. Florida has one of the highest ratios of applicants to living wage jobs (30K or more) in the country, so unless you can plan to save a good sum of money to live on for 8-10 months while looking for work wouldn't suggest planning to move here minus a job offer in place.
This!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The Florida tax code is a bit of a ponzi scheme that keeps taxes low on longtime residents by assuming that there will always be new arrivals in the state (steep taxes on registering a car for the first time and on buying and getting a mortgage/refinancing a mortgage) and that tourists paying sales and lodging taxes will account for about 15-20% of the government budget.

Once you're down here a bit, you start to see the benefits. Yes, we paid sales tax on the new car we bought in January 2016, but we were able to transfer the plate from the car we were trading for it for far less than the cost of a new plate, and the plate renewal for that new car in May 2016 was the usual $66 including 'Protect the Panther' specialty plate charge.

We're also paying maybe $150 more in property taxes a year than we were when we bought the house in 2001 even though its worth about twice what we paid for it. Gotta love the homestead exemption that helps offset in a tiny way the cost of homeowner's insurance here.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Taxes and spending. FL Constitution requires 'balanced budget' which means only what taxes are collected can be spent. FL Legislature just announced a $83 BILLION budget for the next fiscal year. That means they will collect and spend $227 MILLION A DAY. And that's only state expenditures. Add to that, your city/county taxes.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Taxes and spending. FL Constitution requires 'balanced budget' which means only what taxes are collected can be spent. FL Legislature just announced a $83 BILLION budget for the next fiscal year. That means they will collect and spend $227 MILLION A DAY. And that's only state expenditures. Add to that, your city/county taxes.
About $12 per day per resident or about $4380.00 per year per resident. Not bad considering no State Income tax, which is what many people pay on top of all the other taxes and fees. There is a reason besides the beaches that FL is popular.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
No, op,, no crazy car property tax like in CT, ky and other states.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_One View Post
There's something I need to know about Florida. Does Florida tax your car indefinitely like Rhode Island?
There is a yearly car registration renewal tax, but it costs something like $50 per year, less a small discount if you pay two years at a time.

You know, you could have looked up that information yourself in a 15-second excursion through a search engine.

Maybe that's an indication of why you have trouble finding even a minimum wage job?

Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM

428 posts, read 415,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
There is a yearly car registration renewal tax, but it costs something like $50 per year, less a small discount if you pay two years at a time.

You know, you could have looked up that information yourself in a 15-second excursion through a search engine.

Maybe that's an indication of why you have trouble finding even a minimum wage job?
That's just not nice... The OP came here asking as honest a question as possible... Be honest- we have all seen worse posts on CD.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
That's just not nice... The OP came here asking as honest a question as possible... Be honest- we have all seen worse posts on CD.
Yes, we have.

But not only did I answer his question with precision, I was as honest as Abe. Is that not nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida