Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,109 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Probably another thread out there somewhere but I needed something a little broader. I am trying to determine where in Florida I would like to move to. I am 31, no kids. Need night life, shopping, foods, things to do. It does not have to be extremely busy. Not to far from the beach. But I do like to live in a more quiet or laxed neighborhood. Good Job opportunities. But also a place that will feel like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt0719 View Post
Hello,

Probably another thread out there somewhere but I needed something a little broader. I am trying to determine where in Florida I would like to move to. I am 31, no kids. Need night life, shopping, foods, things to do. It does not have to be extremely busy. Not to far from the beach. But I do like to live in a more quiet or laxed neighborhood. Good Job opportunities. But also a place that will feel like home.
For a moderate cost of living and work opportunities the Tampa-St Petersburg area could work out well for you.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,109 times
How moderate?

Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
How moderate?
The average one bedroom apartment rents for around $1000 in the Tampa Bay area, meaning a swing around $800 up to $1200. The national average for major US cities is $1164, which is about 15% more. Then factor in a lack of state income tax...

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2017/03/...-april-2017-2/

The median home price in the Tampa-St Petersburg market is 215K, while the national average is 236K which is 10% below the average for ALL CITIES.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Hello,

The I-4 corridor is great for the "yuppie" lifestyle of a good job, income, reasonable housing cost options, commute, and nightlife. I have graduate degrees from both UF and FSU. The graduate students from FSU or UF typically move to the I-4 corridor for a good job, social life, and housing options. It is also culturally diverse with a mix of demographics. There is diversity in age, ethnicity, regional affiliation, etc. Central FL was my favorite part of FL. I almost moved there in March but unexpectedly got a new job in my home state of AZ. So I returned to Phoenix.

In your case, I would recommend Central FL - the "I-4 Corridor". Mr. Kyle gave great suggestions and information. As for jobs, try indeed.com or dice.com. The opportunities are numerous in the area for jobs. I still get calls from Tampa to return to Florida for a job even though I already moved for a new job in Phoenix (LOL). There is a shortage over there for engineers. But there is a shortage here too.

Avoid: Tallahassee and the Panhandle. South FL is a toss-up. I know many people who did not like it. I did not. I also know many people who wouldn't want to live any place else (particularly Cubans or Central/South Americans with ethnic community roots of the area). I worked in South FL for one year and left.

North FL like Tallahassee and the FL Panhandle is very "Bible Belt Southern". Tallahassee is also a college town with a high prevalence of the 18-22 year age group. Either that, or the local southerners with families enjoy Tallahassee. But for an independent young professional the I-4 corridor would be your best option (in my opinion).

As for me, I am a Native American from rural Arizona. I am a biomedical and software engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida