Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:25 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
A ton of places in America have me fooled thinking it would never get cold. Also the reason why it was 33 degrees on January 18 is because we had an odd arctic blast coming from Canada that affected the entire east coast. Some parts of Florida were the only places to escape this odd arctic blast. NJ became -2 degrees where I live and that's very odd. We never had minus temperatures up in NJ ever in my lifetime of 19 years old. To be honest, warm places out west are usually better, because the cold air is not damp and cold and damp makes things miserable. The climate out west is not influenced by anything outside the US. Here on the east coast, we have too many influences. Canadian climate and tropical climate of the Caribbean is what influences our climate out east. The Caribbean delivers hurricanes up north to the US. The Canadian arctic blasts deliver cold air southwards towards the US. The western US never gets affected by another region's climate. I wouldn't want to live in the eastern part of this country when I finish college.
It was below 0 there in 2015.

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/...l#incart_river
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM

231 posts, read 156,471 times
I like hot and mildly humid myself. Spent 50 years in a northern cold snow belt state and had enough of that.

For me moving to Florida I have far less allergy and sinus issue then from up north where I grew up.

I had skin cancer surgery twice up north and none here in Florida with less skin issues here in Florida then up north.

Your body adapts.

I shiver now with any temps below 60 here in Florida.

My wife had tons of allergy issues up north and none here in Florida.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog920 View Post
I kind of cringe when people move to Florida with the illusion that they'll be living a fantasy beach life. I feel like once those people realize that it's unrealistic, their view on Florida bitters.
I was one of those people of course my life would be more beachy if I were coastside instead I'm in Orlando but nothing is permanent

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Sure, but there are cheaper places out west. Think Arizona and New Mexico. I would not choose California. Too expensive. When we hear the phrase "west coast", we instantly think of the 3 states that touch the Pacific Ocean, which are California, Oregon, and Washington. There is a reason I only use the word "west". All 3 are expensive. But don't forgot, wages are higher there too. But like you said, I would have to make a lot of money (through these higher wages) to live in such desirable places. I am IT major by the way.
Because Arizona's the desert and the air is so dry it can get very very cold at night so I would check that before you move there

Old 01-26-2018, 06:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Because Arizona's the desert and the air is so dry it can get very very cold at night so I would check that before you move there
And they are running out of water. A friend who lived there was just visiting friends there and water shortage is a major issue with no solution likely.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
OP says; My Physics professor said, "I don't know why everyone wants to live in Florida."

Yes he does. Suggest he gets back to the topic of teaching Physics, the exam is next Tuesday.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
OP says; My Physics professor said, "I don't know why everyone wants to live in Florida."

Yes he does. Suggest he gets back to the topic of teaching Physics, the exam is next Tuesday.
Yes, he just got an "F" on his examine on the subject of people moving to FL

Old 01-26-2018, 10:05 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
I like hot and mildly humid myself. Spent 50 years in a northern cold snow belt state and had enough of that.

For me moving to Florida I have far less allergy and sinus issue then from up north where I grew up.

I had skin cancer surgery twice up north and none here in Florida with less skin issues here in Florida then up north.

Your body adapts.

I shiver now with any temps below 60 here in Florida.

My wife had tons of allergy issues up north and none here in Florida.

Florida is a warmer climate, which means there is less seasonal change than up north. My Californian relatives told me allergies are not bad where they live. They live in San Francisco Bay Area where it can get a bit cold in the winter (the lowest temperatures they could get is anything in the 40s). Florida is definitely way hotter.

Not everybody's body adapts to the humidity. It's easier to adapt to warm climates than cold climates, because humans are warm blooded animals, but humidity is not adaptable by some people who have moved to tropical climates and have stayed for a long time. The best way to even be comfortable with humidity is to be born in that type of climate. Yeah, humidity is healthier for the skin. No need for needing so much lotion in that high humidity climate.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Florida is a warmer climate, which means there is less seasonal change than up north. My Californian relatives told me allergies are not bad where they live. They live in San Francisco Bay Area where it can get a bit cold in the winter (the lowest temperatures they could get is anything in the 40s). Florida is definitely way hotter.

Not everybody's body adapts to the humidity. It's easier to adapt to warm climates than cold climates, because humans are warm blooded animals, but humidity is not adaptable by some people who have moved to tropical climates and have stayed for a long time. The best way to even be comfortable with humidity is to be born in that type of climate. Yeah, humidity is healthier for the skin. No need for needing so much lotion in that high humidity climate.
I was not born in a humid climate nor did I grow up in one. I love the humidity. It suits me perfectly.

Have the people that feed you information lived in Florida? Or are they just passing along things they have heard or read on the internet?

If Florida was such an awful place for everyone, no one would be living here. Some people cannot adapt but there are many that can. My Mother in law was native to Pennsylvania and moved here 20+ years ago. Rarely does she put on the air conditioner.

Blanket statements are so very inaccurate.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:50 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Why does everyone want to live in Florida???.......cold hurts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida