Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:24 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I agree that if a big desire is the beach then you will go constantly. But there are just as many who rarely go due to distance or time. It's not as huge of an appeal as it sounds.

To who, you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 08:47 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
To who, you?

To the majority of people who live here.
When they first move down they go every weekend, then maybe every other weekend, then once a month, then when the kids get older and want to do other things maybe every 6 months, then when relatives from out of town come visit once a year.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
To the majority of people who live here.
When they first move down they go every weekend, then maybe every other weekend, then once a month, then when the kids get older and want to do other things maybe every 6 months, then when relatives from out of town come visit once a year.

Oh so you speak for millions of people now? Beaches are just like any other leisure activity. It's the same as having season tickets for a football team, or going fishing, or boating, or playing sports. People do those things for decades at a time, and going to the beach is no different. Everyone has their own different long-term hobbies, and to think that going to the beach is any different is absurd. Even just going to a restaurant or bar on the beach is awesome. There are many different things you can do that involve the beach and the ocean. It's also just a "bonus" of living in the area for some people. Some people just enjoy the huge influx of beautiful people and the many other positives that come with having beaches in their city. Great seafood is another one of the positives. Do I really have to start naming all of the rest?

Beaches are by far the most popular vacation and leisure areas in the entire world, and to say that they "lose appeal" doesn't even make sense. You're basically saying that enjoying nature loses it's appeal after a while. Not to mention that one of the things that people move to Florida for is to live the beach lifestyle. I know people that are over 80 years old that still go to the beach on a regular basis, and have been for over 50 years. Some people go almost every day. Some people go for a few days in a row then stop for 3 months then go for a few more days in a row. Everyone has different lives and different schedules. It's just nice to know it's available anytime, especially since there are no downsides to having it in your city. Not to mention the millions of people in Florida who live super close to the beach or that actually live on the beach.

Last edited by pinytr; 05-14-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 09:26 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I grew up in California. I still remember when I was around 8 or 9 years old, heading on a plane to New Jersey to see family for the first time. It was during the summer. I walked off the plane and thought I couldn't breathe. It was my first experience with humidity as I had never left the west coast (we did RV trips in the south west). It's funny to hear someone suggest humidity is so bad in Florida compared to Jersey. I literally freaked out a bit when I got off the plane in Jersey, it was bad.

Now the thing is, I have lived in Florida for about 20 years now. It's totally normal to me. When I go out west to Vegas or California, my lips dry up and crack, it hurts. The dryness is awful. I hate it. But when I grew up there, I never had dry lips or issues. Your body adjusts.
I grew up in So.Calif. and did a stint in graduate school in New Jersey. The humidity was miserable for me.

I am not a cold weather person but the northeastern winters were less of an adjustment than the horrible humid summers! After I finished grad school I moved to Wash, D.C. for a few years. Nice city, horrible weather.

When I finally moved back to So. Calif. (15 years ago) I never looked back. It was a seamless adjustment back to the "comfortable" weather of my youth.

All that said, if I were to relocate anywhere in the U.S. it would most likely be South Florida.....

Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Oh so you speak for millions of people now? Beaches are just like any other leisure activity. It's the same as having season tickets for a football team, or going fishing, or boating, or playing sports. People do those things for decades at a time, and going to the beach is no different. Everyone has their own different long-term hobbies, and to think that going to the beach is any different is absurd. Even just going to a restaurant or bar on the beach is awesome. There are many different things you can do that involve the beach and the ocean. It's also just a "bonus" of living in the area for some people. Some people just enjoy the huge influx of beautiful people and the many other positives that come with having beaches in their city. Great seafood is another one of the positives. Do I really have to start naming all of the rest?

Beaches are by far the most popular vacation and leisure areas in the entire world, and to say that they "lose appeal" doesn't even make sense. You're basically saying that enjoying nature loses it's appeal after a while. Not to mention that one of the things that people move to Florida for is to live the beach lifestyle. I know people that are over 80 years old that still go to the beach on a regular basis, and have been for over 50 years. Some people go almost every day. Some people go for a few days in a row then stop for 3 months then go for a few more days in a row. Everyone has different lives and different schedules. It's just nice to know it's available anytime, especially since there are no downsides to having it in your city. Not to mention the millions of people in Florida who live super close to the beach or that actually live on the beach.

"A majority of people" - to be fair. If a majority of people WENT to the beach every week, there would be a few million people on the beach...

The message that you are going off on is probably very much correct. I don't know one single person who goes to the beach regularly except for my friend who lives a block away.

But I do agree that it's nice to have. I don't go "regularly" but we still end up there sometimes. I like boating as well.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
"A majority of people" - to be fair. If a majority of people WENT to the beach every week, there would be a few million people on the beach...

The message that you are going off on is probably very much correct. I don't know one single person who goes to the beach regularly except for my friend who lives a block away.

But I do agree that it's nice to have. I don't go "regularly" but we still end up there sometimes. I like boating as well.
Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. Many who are about to move to somewhere like FL or CA say they are going to go to the beach all the time, but once they are living there it's a rare occurrence. My point wasn't that people don't go to the beach, but that nobody goes all the time. It becomes a regular place to live like anywhere else, but as you said it's a nice to have option.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
That's funny... I don't know why anyone would want to live in NJ, unless it's for a couple of schools there, and then get out...

To each their own.
I know! I don't know why people love the east coast (except for Florida) so much if they're the ones who complain about the climate. People are stupid for wanting to live in a place where they will complain about the climate too much.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. Many who are about to move to somewhere like FL or CA say they are going to go to the beach all the time, but once they are living there it's a rare occurrence. My point wasn't that people don't go to the beach, but that nobody goes all the time. It becomes a regular place to live like anywhere else, but as you said it's a nice to have option.
That is just it, though. If you know yourself, you know if the beach will be a regular place to enjoy or whether you are just moving to not shovel snow. If that is the case then pick a spot in the interior. To some of us the beach and all the fun involved with living on the coast never gets old. You find that those are the people who remain in your lives for 30 or 40 years like I have. .

Of course you are not on vacation 24/7 because you do go to work, go to school, attend your kids sports games, sleep, etc. just like in any state anywhere; but you may spend 5 minutes on the beach at lunch or after work, go walk on the beach for an hour after dinner, go to a beach restaurant so you can have a great view while eating, or sit on the patio and feel the sea breeze to have a cold one , or even spend a day there surfingg or playing on the beach-even when you are hitting 70 and have made the beach life part of your regular life. Some of us really do it and cannot figure out why anyone would even think about moving to the beach(meanin anywhere within 20 miles inland) and never getting sand between the toes. Looking at the people I know, I really don't know anyone who is not beachside and on the beach at least once a week and most are there as often as time allows-even if it is just to pull off A1A to have a look at the water just because you were close to a causeway on the mainland and might as well go have a look. :-) Pura Vida.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
I'm an anomaly. Well actually both hubby and I are. We aren't beach people. I don't mind going when we have visitors from out of state and will gladly go. If we didn't get visitors, we prefer to stay by the pool.

I live here for the warmth. Period. I love the humidity, I love going outside and warming up after sleeping in the air conditioned house. I sleep better when it is cold. I love waking up, grabbing a cup of coffee and stepping outside to instant warm. The humidity wraps around me like a soft blanket. I only have to tuck my feet under a towel, they are the last to warm up.

We do live close to the ocean, love those breezes. We are about 5 minutes, as the crow flies, 15 minutes driving to get to the ocean. It's great for when visitors come. We have several beach people in the family.

Hubby is not as crazy about the humidity but he is adapting. We've been Floridians for just over 4 years. Having the pool is making it more bearable for him. Bonus: he's getting more exercise.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I'm an anomaly. Well actually both hubby and I are. We aren't beach people. I don't mind going when we have visitors from out of state and will gladly go. If we didn't get visitors, we prefer to stay by the pool.

I live here for the warmth. Period. I love the humidity, I love going outside and warming up after sleeping in the air conditioned house. I sleep better when it is cold. I love waking up, grabbing a cup of coffee and stepping outside to instant warm. The humidity wraps around me like a soft blanket. I only have to tuck my feet under a towel, they are the last to warm up.

We do live close to the ocean, love those breezes. We are about 5 minutes, as the crow flies, 15 minutes driving to get to the ocean. It's great for when visitors come. We have several beach people in the family.

Hubby is not as crazy about the humidity but he is adapting. We've been Floridians for just over 4 years. Having the pool is making it more bearable for him. Bonus: he's getting more exercise.
Aah, walking on the beach is great exercise. Start with a nice walk, then walk faster then walk in the edge of the water and then deeper. Great exercise and fun to boot.

Bare foot contact with the earth or sand is good for you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida