Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:53 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Same here since there aren't any dirt tracks to race stock cars near by...

Or any places to ride quads or dirt bikes near by...

Having come from NY where you have a 20% chance at getting a CCW at 90 per try... Where owning a modern sporting rifle is classified more of a threat to society than a child molester. Ammo being as scarce as a big foot sighting and overpriced restricted to 3 boxes per sale...

Can say I am making up for lost time and then some.
True. Even the state of Illinois for example people from very pro gun states like Missouri talk about how terrible it is because of the FOID card, it still is far more less restrictive than New York and California. IL has shall issue ccw granted it's a crappy one, and there is no ban on ARs in IL like in NY and CA. At least in IL you can own normal firearms still. Even going to Colorado with it's Assault weapons ban would feel like paradise compared to New York's gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 AM

89 posts, read 95,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
It failed this year in TX, AL, SC though. North Carolina has a shot at it this year. It has also been introduced in WI and MI as well.
It didn't necessarily fail in Texas, it passed through the house but stalled in the senate. I think we just ran out of time to actually get a vote in the senate, a lot of bills here have. However, we do still have open carry and the state passed a bill that dropped the cost of the permit from $140 to $40.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:31 AM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually when written a citizen could own any gun the military did, including cannons. Many merchant ships had them as did people at their homes. The militia was the people, not a true subset, that came later.
Acutally most towns and cities back in the wild west days didn't allow guns at all. Permits were very hard to impossible to get to carry.
You know places like Dodge City KS, Tombstone AZ (ordinance #9), Deadwood SD,. Everyone had guns but they were generally against the law in town. This is not to say the west wasn't extremely violent with murder but you were more likely to be murdered in a mining town or on the frontier than in a town\city by a gun. This fact is always over looked by the ignorant fanatic when talking history to prove their point in a very populated 21st century America.

I have 4 rifles and 3 hand guns, I am certainly not against gun ownership. Just smart enough to realize why and what laws are for.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Acutally most towns and cities back in the wild west days didn't allow guns at all. Permits were very hard to impossible to get to carry.
You know places like Dodge City KS, Tombstone AZ (ordinance #9), Deadwood SD,. Everyone had guns but they were generally against the law in town. This is not to say the west wasn't extremely violent with murder but you were more likely to be murdered in a mining town or on the frontier than in a town\city by a gun. This fact is always over looked by the ignorant fanatic when talking history to prove their point in a very populated 21st century America.

I have 4 rifles and 3 hand guns, I am certainly not against gun ownership. Just smart enough to realize why and what laws are for.
And now those same states have some of the best gun laws in the country. I mean AZ, KS, and SD. AZ and KS really don't have many gun laws on the books and no permit to carry needed.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Problem with having permitless carry is that most other states only honor a conceal carry permit. So those people in VT for example that do not require a permit cannot carry concealed in other states, while a person with a FL permit can conceal carry in many other states.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post

I am not debating gun laws in general. I also know the wild wild west was a bit different than many people think it was.

My point was that when the 2nd amendment was written, people could own any gun that the military had. No limits at all.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Problem with having permitless carry is that most other states only honor a conceal carry permit. So those people in VT for example that do not require a permit cannot carry concealed in other states, while a person with a FL permit can conceal carry in many other states.
States with permit less carry except VT offer the optional permit still for that very reason. Also for VT residents you can apply for out of state permits via the mail from Arizona, Florida and Virginia for example that some states will honor.

Like Missouri is permit less concealed carry but still offers a permit just as before. I hear the renewal and application numbers have gone way down in MO since it has passed which p*sses the sheriffs office because they lose that easy money.

Right now 12 states allow concealed carry without a permit. A couple of them require you to be a resident of that state though.

Missouri and Kansas for example anyone who can legally own the gun can carry concealed without a permit.

Until the Supreme Court or US congress give us nationwide constitutional carry, it's up to the states to pass permit less carry. States like FL need to get on the ball and just pass the darn thing.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Although I'm pro-2A, I'm definitely NOT in favor of further relaxing firearm laws and regulations in Florida in particular. As a collective, people in Florida are rude, hostile and quick-tempered, and there are many residents with checkered pasts. I just don't think it's a good idea to make firearms more accessible in state wherein most people are literally crazy.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Although I'm pro-2A, I'm definitely NOT in favor of further relaxing firearm laws and regulations in Florida in particular. As a collective, people in Florida are rude, hostile and quick-tempered, and there are many residents with checkered pasts. I just don't think it's a good idea to make firearms more accessible in state wherein most people are literally crazy.
You just described all 50 States and territories.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You just described all 50 States and territories.
LOL, says someone who hasn't even moved to Florida yet. Just wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida