Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:18 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Mentally ill is covered... if you lie on the paper work... for being currently or in the past treated for an ailment or mentally defective no guns for you. Statute 790 read it study it learn it know it.
True.

Also, odd before the 1968 and 1934 gun control act there wasn't as huge of a crime problem despite no NICS.

They're called gun control acts for a reason. It's all about control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Anyone whining about waiting periods here doesn't even have a permit. Why not? What's wrong with him?
There are no waiting periods for those of us with permits, we are the approved and certified good-guys.

Florida has far, far more active CCW permits than any other state, it isn't even close.

And we accept permits from most states, about 35 of them, but not the left wing democrat states that won't accept Florida permits. Such as NY, NJ, IL, CA, HI, MA, CT, WA, OR, MD, etc. Go change them.

Plus Florida issues non-resident permits to those who live in states where permits aren't issued, or who's permits Florida won't recognize.

Anybody can carry concealed in Florida, except those who won't, or can't, qualify for a permit. Like criminals.

We do have room for improvement, mostly regarding open carry, campus carry, school property carry, government meetings and buildings, and bars, or even restaurants who primarily sell alcohol.

Let's not get distracted by the nuts screaming that we shouldn't require permits at all. That simply isn't going to happen.

People who move here to complain about the Gunshine State's freedoms are welcome to go home.

Carpetbaggers.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True.

Also, odd before the 1968 and 1934 gun control act there wasn't as huge of a crime problem despite no NICS.

They're called gun control acts for a reason. It's all about control.
Big reason why I left NY

Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, but every drunk where I live has one and every drug user as well, and with mental problems to boot. The checks do not work well at all.

I am not against gun ownership at all and have owned a few myself. It is the ease of getting a gun that is the problem and then no follow up once a gun is sold so that no one knows if the person developed mental problems, became criminal, etc.
LOL you do know there's no way to stop someone criminal from acquiring them or building them right? There's straw purchases and private sales. Along with stolen black market burners. If you're that terrified go back to California or up to NY

The ease of getting a gun isn't the problem. The problem is those who are acquiring them just like trucks in Europe

Old 05-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Anyone whining about waiting periods here doesn't even have a permit. Why not? What's wrong with him?
There are no waiting periods for those of us with permits, we are the approved and certified good-guys.

Florida has far, far more active CCW permits than any other state, it isn't even close.

And we accept permits from most states, about 35 of them, but not the left wing democrat states that won't accept Florida permits. Such as NY, NJ, IL, CA, HI, MA, CT, WA, OR, MD, etc. Go change them.

Plus Florida issues non-resident permits to those who live in states where permits aren't issued, or who's permits Florida won't recognize.

Anybody can carry concealed in Florida, except those who won't, or can't, qualify for a permit. Like criminals.

We do have room for improvement, mostly regarding open carry, campus carry, school property carry, government meetings and buildings, and bars, or even restaurants who primarily sell alcohol.

Let's not get distracted by the nuts screaming that we shouldn't require permits at all. That simply isn't going to happen.

People who move here to complain about the Gunshine State's freedoms are welcome to go home.

Carpetbaggers.
So you think here in Florida we have more gun freedoms than Arizona, Alaska, Missouri, Mississippi, West Virginia, Kansas? Compare FL gun laws with Mississippi and West Virginia and ours will look far more oppressive.

Another factor in the large number of permits for us is that Floridian's have to carry on a Florida permit. Texas for example allows its residents to use other permits such as Arizona and Virginia for example. A lot of Texans on the Texas carry forum use the Arizona permit because it's far easier and cheaper to get than the Texas permit which is $170 not including the class (recent bill passed does lower the fee to $40). Missouri honors all permits regardless of residency. I had 3 permits while I was up there. The Arizona permit is the easiest to get. Even doing it by mail it took mine just one month to get. No notary or photo needed and a one page application and just 60 bucks.

I would also like to see the age lowered to 18 like a few states now. Georgia also has a lot better laws than we do. They require a ccw but up there you just simply to the probate court to get the permit and no stupid class needed or anything. Just can't be a felon or barred from owning a firearm.

I've had my FL permit since early 2006 when I lived in Missouri still. I got it because MO honors it. I still recommend everyone to have at least two ccw permits. Even if something happens to your FL permit you're covered in other states still who honor the other permit.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

Carpetbaggers.
I think you're missing the point of the constitution and the second amendment. Waiting periods, permits to carry, permits to purchase, etc. are a clear violation of it.

The NICS background check and requiring permits does nothing to curb violence. Criminals simply just steal the firearms. This country was fine before the 1934 and 1968 gun control act passed.

So why not require a permit for the first amendment to post on twitter or facebook or on here? People use facebook to make threats and commit crimes on facebook live. Maybe require a background check before being able to have a facebook account.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL you do know there's no way to stop someone criminal from acquiring them or building them right? There's straw purchases and private sales. Along with stolen black market burners. If you're that terrified go back to California or up to NY

The ease of getting a gun isn't the problem. The problem is those who are acquiring them just like trucks in Europe
Yes there is no way and that is a far greater problem than private ownership with background checks.

I am not terrified of any of it, I just see the problem and no one addresses it. Concealed carry with a valid permit, fine by me.

Now private sales could be controlled by requiring that every gun sold be registered as to number and when sold gain that info must be given to law enforcement. If a gun is later used in a crime, and no stolen report and no providing the sale info to the law, then the owner who sold it should be charged right along with the one using it and for the same crime. That would stop private sales that are going to the wrong people.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes there is no way and that is a far greater problem than private ownership with background checks.

I am not terrified of any of it, I just see the problem and no one addresses it. Concealed carry with a valid permit, fine by me.

Now private sales could be controlled by requiring that every gun sold be registered as to number and when sold gain that info must be given to law enforcement. If a gun is later used in a crime, and no stolen report and no providing the sale info to the law, then the owner who sold it should be charged right along with the one using it and for the same crime. That would stop private sales that are going to the wrong people.
You do know there's no records kept right? Even by law enforcement... Unless you have one get stolen or missing, and then records are deleted immediately upon retrieval. It's a felony to keep records for it may be used as a shopping list by criminals to find an owners address and steal said weapon (s) which Florida got perfectly right.

In NY if you are fortunate enough to acquire a CCW, say you drop your wallet... you don't have to worry just about your credit, debit, or ID stolen but your permit, carries EVERY pistol you own and carry registered to the permit. They have your address... they see Glock, Colt, etc expect your house raided while at work or in the middle of the night. Or you have a disgruntled state worker or careless state worker, leave a computer unlocked, janitor goes in, he plans on a heist and needs a weapon. Viola he just went into the computer and found every single pistol and where there's a pistol there is probably a rifle and shotgun or few too...

It's good practice to have the transfer done at an FFL. But what you describe in doing a private sale is the case more often than not, being suspect or person of interest in crime especially if a weapon is recovered. The police agency will get records from both ATF and FBI.

You sell your weapon to someone without a permit, or transfer performed you are on your own if you didn't take the means necessary to protect yourself. That's just plain common sense...

That's how I bought a $5k dollar Les Baer for $1500 outside of a pawn shop. Had money in my pocket, and offered to pay for the transfer and background check right on the spot after he was insulted with an offer for $800. Protected him and myself. Who knows if he'd report it stolen or missing? I'm out $1500 and face felony charges for the transfer never existed. What's to say he didn't steal it from a collector or someone's house? Without a permit on my end, what's to say I am a law abiding citizen with no mental health issues?

Can't be that naive or simple when it comes to something which carries as much responsibility as owning a firearm...

Gone are the days of getting an FFL and storing the weapons in your house and storage unit, and claiming a weapon in question is in a different location... You get a visit from the ATF you better have all your ducks in a row or its steel bar motel time...

Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Oh I just addressed that, see its a felony to keep records of firearms in this state... even by Law Enforcement.

What does stop private sales to the wrong people, is using your head. Common sense. I get it is on short supply these days, however if you don't take the precautionary measures to ensure a legal transfer is occurring you are every bit as responsible for someone else using the weapon themself in a crime. Since you are on file with the ATF, if a weapon is used in a crime, and you sold that weapon, and didn't have a transfer performed at an FFL guess who visits your house?
And if you didn't record the persons drivers license or CCW number and address oh boy are you facing an uphill struggle...

You would have to be really dumb, or really naive to make a sale without an ATF form....

Old 05-31-2017, 03:59 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think you're missing the point of the constitution and the second amendment. Waiting periods, permits to carry, permits to purchase, etc. are a clear violation of it.

The NICS background check and requiring permits does nothing to curb violence. Criminals simply just steal the firearms. This country was fine before the 1934 and 1968 gun control act passed.

So why not require a permit for the first amendment to post on twitter or facebook or on here? People use facebook to make threats and commit crimes on facebook live. Maybe require a background check before being able to have a facebook account.
You do realize that the words "well regulated" do not appear in the First Amendment, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida