U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM

87 posts, read 184,094 times

Advertisements

posted today

Pinellas County Calls
Pinellas Country crime reports | Tampa Bay Times

Pinellas County NOT Downtown Area Or Drug Calls Crime Map

Pinellas County Crime Viewer

Downtown St Petersburg Reports too This Site along with other cities.

LexisNexis® Community Crime Map

Sexual Predator Listings for Florida, Type in a address , map then search.

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Neighborhood Search

__________________________________________________ __

And the nationwide hate crime map

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

http://gis.hcso.tampa.fl.us/PublicGIS/CrimeMapping/

And always before you just up & relocate because you hate the snow, watch & read your local news. Get too know the area in real time not just by word of mouth. Florida is a High Crime and drug infested state, Not saying there isn't good here but moving here with rose colored glasses on isn't wise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,174,484 times
As myself and others have talked about in a couple threads on here about FL crime is unlike most states, the crime in Florida is spread out all over and not just a few sections of urban areas like it is in the other states.

I'm from St. Louis and most of the crime is in the city limits near downtown, north city, parts of south city and north county mostly. The rest of the sections don't have much violent crime or anything and most of the rest of MO outside of Kansas City is mostly drug and meth problems. In the St. Louis area everyone knows what areas to avoid which was pretty simple. Down here it's not so simple as crime isn't contained to certain sections but in many cases spread out all over the place.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:03 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,341,314 times
The actual title of the article is:

Dangerous States: Florida Ranks Among The Worst

Read further and this ranking includes motor vehicle accidents and residents without health insurance, not just crime stats.

Mixing the crime stats in with car accidents, no health insurance and other factors to come up with a personal safety ranking is a quite a leap to most dangerous state.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-14-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,315,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Fourth most populated state, right? Wouldn't it make sense that it ranks high.

This thread particular to Tampa/STP?

I feel safer in Tampa/STP than I do when I travel to Miami, JAX, Orlando. Tampa is doing better compared to the 80's when I lived here when it seemed everyday there was a murder.

Should be moved to FL Forum, imo.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,100,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I feel safer in Tampa/STP than I do when I travel to Miami, JAX, Orlando. Tampa is doing better compared to the 80's when I lived here when it seemed everyday there was a murder.

Florida is the third most populated state. Usually crime stats are measured in per 100,000 for a comparison analysis as it is obvious that significant population difference means more crime on a state vs. state basis.

I will agree this should be on the Florida Forum.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM

1,357 posts, read 888,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
Crime Search

And always before you just up & relocate because you hate the snow, watch & read your local news. Get too know the area in real time not just by word of mouth. Florida is a High Crime and drug infested state, Not saying there isn't good here but moving here with rose colored glasses on isn't wise.
Went back 6 months and even a year, it's basically quiet by me. However, almost any place with large population you're bound to find crime.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Read further and this ranking includes motor vehicle accidents and residents without health insurance, not just crime stats.

Mixing the crime stats in with car accidents, no health insurance and other factors to come up with a personal safety ranking is a quite a leap to most dangerous state.
This site (Uniform Crime Reporting Stats / FBI) reports only on violent crimes; Murder/Manslaughter, Rape, Robbery and Aggravated Assault, data is through 2014. Based on this and on a per capita basis, Florida is ranked #6.

Sadly, violent crimes have more than doubled since 1960. This also shows how things have gotten worse over the years (or reporting of crimes has increased). Here's how it looked for 1960.

Attached Thumbnails
Florida Ranked Most Dangerous State & Crime Map Updates-crimestats.xlsx-google-sheets.png   Florida Ranked Most Dangerous State & Crime Map Updates-crimestats.xlsx-google-sheets-_1960.png  

Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Yep, compared to other large Florida cities; Miami, Orlando, St. Pete and Tampa; Tampa is least violent crimes on both a raw and per capita basis.

Source: FBI-Uniform Crime Reporting Stats

Tampa even does well compared to other smaller Florida cities, here's look based on FL cities 100,000-499,999:

Agree that this should be moved to Florida forum, or minimally Miami since they are the worst of the bunch
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Ranked Most Dangerous State & Crime Map Updates-crimestats.xlsx-google-sheets-fl-large-cities.png   Florida Ranked Most Dangerous State & Crime Map Updates-crimestats.xlsx-google-sheets_fl-cities_small-.png  

Last edited by bobandsherry; 06-14-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM

58 posts, read 38,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
As myself and others have talked about in a couple threads on here about FL crime is unlike most states, the crime in Florida is spread out all over and not just a few sections of urban areas like it is in the other states.

I'm from St. Louis and most of the crime is in the city limits near downtown, north city, parts of south city and north county mostly. The rest of the sections don't have much violent crime or anything and most of the rest of MO outside of Kansas City is mostly drug and meth problems. In the St. Louis area everyone knows what areas to avoid which was pretty simple. Down here it's not so simple as crime isn't contained to certain sections but in many cases spread out all over the place.

I agree with you as I'm from St. Louis myself, born and raised. However, I'm trying to find a safer place. I'm hoping I can land something in a good neighborhood. Just looking for a 1BR place to rent where I can bring my dogs and hopefully find something for under $950 per month. Not as easy as people think.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 11,834 times
Try living in Baltimore if you want to see crime, or Chicago, or Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida