Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 12,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
One of the reasons we didn't move up there just north of Tampa is flooding and sink holes. The newer homes in many areas were way too high priced for us. A lot of 500k homes going up in parts of Pasco.

for some reason Tampa on north gets a lot of sink holes.

Checkout Charlotte County too. The houses here are cheaper than Sarasota and Lee counties and less crime than Lee county. Personally I wouldn't live in North Ft Myers or Lee County.
I took of Pasco County and Tampa area of my list for now. It seems harder to get a mortgage and home insurance in that area.
Is it safe enough in Lee County to make trips on foot? I want to live in a safe area not to worry about my or my family safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Consider North Port. It's in Sarasota County but the prices are lower than those in Sarasota. The areas near Warm Mineral Springs can be a bit iffy in terms of crime, but most of north Port is safe and nice. You could get a smaller 3/2/2 home for $150-160K. There's a large Ukrainian population. I know it's not Polish and it's a different language, but maybe the culture is similar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Oh. Oops! Sorry if that was insulting; I really don't know much about Eastern European culture. It was more of a question than a statement.
I am considering North Port, it seems to have a good location. As for all the statistics Warm Mineral Springs is considered very safe, whats the truth? There are some interesting properties in that area.

In the part of Poland that I came from there are a lot of Ukrainian people (I even have one in my family), so I am pretty good with them. And yes, we are kind of similar culture with most of Ukrainians, our language is similar too, I can communicate without knowing the language. I did not had insulted at all
My wife if an beautician so she might want to start some business and its always easier to do it in a place with lots of people speaking the same foreign language. It would also be nice to meet new friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Only down side is I think a lot of those homes in North Port are on septic. At least when I was looking at them a couple years ago.
What does that mean that they are on septic?

Its a really hard choice to settle down somewhere in Florida, its even more complicated on the west coast as its more extensive. The best bet will be to rent something for a year or so and get more familiar with the places and everything before we buy something. We are going to lose a year of paid off mortgage and a happy home life but it might be a better option than risk of buying a house that we wont be that happy with. I think I am going to close in the Clearwater to Cape Coral area.
Places that Im considering are:
Clearwater - little expensive to buy a house, although as far as I am seeing - rent is less expensive that the other areas, its close to the beach, lots of Polish people, more things to do, I am little concerned about the crime.
Manatee County, especially Bayshore Gardens - not expensive (buy and rent), close to the beach, close to St Petersburg/Clearwater and to Sarasota, I have no idea what is that area like as there is not too much info about it
Venice - more expensive, but close to the beach and Sarasota, has a downtown, low crime, concerned about median age as we really want to make new friends (its hard in the Long Island area that I am at)
North Port - less expensive, not that far from the beach and to Sarasota, not sure about the safety. Is there something to do there? We would like to be able to visit some nice bars or something.
Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda - the same as North Port
Fort Myers - not that expensive, has some nice shopping places and things to do, close to the beach, but far from Sarasota and Clearwater, concerned about the safety, might be to crowdy
Cape Coral - its not too expensive for what Ive read, close to the beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
As far as the best "bang for your buck" with location and affordability, I don't think you an beat the Nort Port / Port Charlotte area. It's very convenient to anything you want to do as far as Sarasota and Ft. Myers without the crime or expensive real estate problems.

You can get very nice newer houses on your budget in North Port and Port Charlotte. Your best bet is to schedule a trip down to Florida and explore the areas with a realtor. You can get some information online but nothing replaces being on the ground and seeing things with your own eyes.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Septic means it is not on city water for sewage. You have your own septic tank. This is very common on more rural properties anywhere in the world. It's not a big deal. Every few years, you pay a company to pump out the tank and make sure not to flush anything but human waste and toilet paper so you don't clog up the tank.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
As far as the best "bang for your buck" with location and affordability, I don't think you an beat the Nort Port / Port Charlotte area. It's very convenient to anything you want to do as far as Sarasota and Ft. Myers without the crime or expensive real estate problems.

You can get very nice newer houses on your budget in North Port and Port Charlotte. Your best bet is to schedule a trip down to Florida and explore the areas with a realtor. You can get some information online but nothing replaces being on the ground and seeing things with your own eyes.
Okay than I will look at North Port as a priority. Are there any areas which I should avoid?
I checked the statistics and it looks like the most Slavics are in Warm Mineral Springs, there are also some affordable houses. AnotherTouchOfWhimsy said that its little iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Septic means it is not on city water for sewage. You have your own septic tank. This is very common on more rural properties anywhere in the world. It's not a big deal. Every few years, you pay a company to pump out the tank and make sure not to flush anything but human waste and toilet paper so you don't clog up the tank.
Oh okay, thank you, that clears a lot. Do you think it will make a difference in the final monthly costs (tax, insurance etc)?

I think I am going to look for rent at this moment. My lease expires in 2 months in NY so I dont have much time to find the perfect house. I will study the area and calmly look for a house.
Do you think the housing price will raise much within a year?

Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM

The only thing to worry about if you are on a well and/or septic is if in the future the city forces you onto city water. This means you'll get extra tax assessments that could run into the thousands of dollars. You'll probably want to do a lot of research on this when you seriously get to looking to buy a home. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any cost to you other than the maintenance every few years to pump out your septic tank.

It's a seller's market everywhere right now with inventory low. I'd imagine prices will be higher next year but I can't tell you how much. Never feel rushed to buy. It's a big decision and can be a costly mistake if you rush and pick the wrong house in a bad location. I agree with your idea to rent at first.

The one positive thing about North Port and Port Charlotte is there's plenty of land to develop and lots of new construction every year. This tends to make things more affordable because you aren't in a situation where land is built out like a lot of big cities in Florida.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Not too good to hear about the additional tax assessments.

Its pretty hard to find any rental apts in North Port area for a reasonable price.
there are lots of pretty nice rentals for less than $1000/mo in Clearwater. I am considering staying in Clearwater before I find a house somewhere else. Do you think its a good idea?

We are working remotely and fast internet connection is very important thing (if not the most important), so we cant be anywhere far from the city as I assume.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 PM

I don't know much about Clearwater other than it has a heavy Scientology presence that I always found creepy. But they seem to leave you alone if you don't get involved in their business.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM

407 posts, read 828,879 times
After thoroughly reading your posts it sounds like you haven't visited all of the areas on your list. At first glance, it sounds like Lee county would be a good fit for you.

Lee County has really invested time in fixing up North Fort Myers over the past few years. I lived in Lee for four years and have friends there and love it. What they love about living there is they are close to downtown Ft Myers, beaches (Ft Myers Beach & Sanibel) are a short 25-30 min drive away (out of season), real estate is very affordable compared to other areas of Lee, and its quite diverse. Lee County is one of the fastest growing areas in the United States. All walks of life are headed to that area. Schools for the most part are "good" when comparing them to other school districts in Florida. I would recommend N. Ft Myers, others may not. N. Ft Myers did have a bad name back in the say. But the county has cleaned up lots of the area. There are options if you know where to look. Close to the Charlotte county border is fine. Lee does have some very expensive areas. For example, Estero and parts of Ft Myers near Daniels and Alico. But you can find affordable housing.

Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte I have lived in Charlotte County for little over two years now. In my opinion it is not the same as North Port. Similar, but not the same (located in different counties). Major difference is the school district. Sarasota county schools is a much better choice then Charlotte county schools. Charlotte is home to lots of retires and transplants. It can be difficult for young professionals to live in the area because chances are your job will be in either Lee or Sarasota county and will have a decent commute. I commuted to Fort Myers from Charlotte County every day for work. Took me about 40 mins out of season, 55-60 mins during season. Here are the pros of Charlotte, If you are not looking to live on a canal (70% of Punta Gorda residents reside on a canal), it is very affordable! I have a few family members who live in Charlotte county and love it. They love being far away from all the congestion of Lee and Sarasota, yet having those areas within an hour drive. Many parts of Charlotte are rural, not a whole lot of development going on compared to Lee and Sarasota. Yet, there are still things to do. Punta Gorda has a cute historic area with waterfront restaurants, tiki bars, and monthly events (concerts, block party, art festivals, etc). So as I said, it has it pros. The biggest con in my opinion is the school district and being a decent commute to work.

Manatee County is personally one of my favorite areas of Florida. I am currently getting a home built in Manatee now. I chose Manatee because of its proximity to St. Pete and Tampa. I've lived everywhere from Fort Myers to Manatee and found there is just so much to do in this area. As far as entertainment, many of your big music artists put on concerts in the Tampa Bay area, decent pick of professional sports, museums, art galleries, aquariums, you name it! What I also loved about it was the neighboring school district, Sarasota Public Schools. It is ranked as one of the states best public schools. Sarasota also is a very diverse small city which offers a lot to its residents. Farmers market couple times a week, Ringling, family owned restaurants, lots of parks, shopping, festivals/events in St Armands Circle, etc. Another perk of living in Manatee over Sarasota are the taxes. Sarasota does have higher property taxes compared to Manatee. I personally feel your money goes further in Manatee. As far as whats "in" Manatee, Anna Maria Island offers some beautiful beaches. I love the view of the skyway, although during season finding parking to go to the beach is impossible. Riverwalk is a nice little area in the downtown Bradenton area. Riverwalk offers a small field, playground, skate park, boardwalk to take nice stroll along the Manatee River. Lastly, the area has good shopping. University Park offers everything you'll need, Ellenton has an outlets mall, and if that isnt enough there is plenty of shopping off University in Sarasota.

Last on your list, Clearwater. I have a couple friends from Pinellas County who have been their their entire lives. From what I've heard, lots of the area developed in the 70s to 90s. Now, there isnt a whole lot of land left. Feels like a "suburban area". I have been to Clearwater many times to see concerts, it has its areas of good and bad. I would definitely recommend visiting this area before moving. Pros, close to everything! Tampa is just over the causeway via FL 60.

You did mention Pasco County. I have family who have lived there forever. My family was even looking to move there when I was younger. Wesley Chapel and New Tampa is really really nice! Much of the area was developed post 2000. I think it might be worth your time to check those areas out if you still want Pasco.

Overall, as I say to everyone who wants to move anywhere, visit before you make the move! Google Maps and street view and others opinions are not going to give you the answer if the city and county is for you. Apartments and realtors do an excellent job of taking photos to make a poor space look fabulous.
Based on what you have posted prior to me writing this, it looks like Lee County might be what you are looking for. Again, there is affordable housing if you know where to look, diverse cultures, lots of shopping (Gulf Coast Town Center, Mirarmar Outlets, Coconut, list goes on and on) beaches (Sanibel, Ft Myers Beach, Lovers Key, Estero Beaches, etc), and pretty decent choices of schools.

One last thing, some people might tell you about school choice in Florida. For example, you can live in Charlotte County and send your kids to Sarasota Schools. Yes, you can. BUT you need to provide transportation and that is only IF there is space in that district for your child.

Wish you best of luck in your search.
JazzmanLI

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
After thoroughly reading your posts it sounds like you haven't visited all of the areas on your list. At first glance, it sounds like Lee county would be a good fit for you.

Lee County has really invested time in fixing up North Fort Myers over the past few years. I lived in Lee for four years and have friends there and love it. What they love about living there is they are close to downtown Ft Myers, beaches (Ft Myers Beach & Sanibel) are a short 25-30 min drive away (out of season), real estate is very affordable compared to other areas of Lee, and its quite diverse. Lee County is one of the fastest growing areas in the United States. All walks of life are headed to that area. Schools for the most part are "good" when comparing them to other school districts in Florida. I would recommend N. Ft Myers, others may not. N. Ft Myers did have a bad name back in the say. But the county has cleaned up lots of the area. There are options if you know where to look. Close to the Charlotte county border is fine. Lee does have some very expensive areas. For example, Estero and parts of Ft Myers near Daniels and Alico. But you can find affordable housing.

Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte I have lived in Charlotte County for little over two years now. In my opinion it is not the same as North Port. Similar, but not the same (located in different counties). Major difference is the school district. Sarasota county schools is a much better choice then Charlotte county schools. Charlotte is home to lots of retires and transplants. It can be difficult for young professionals to live in the area because chances are your job will be in either Lee or Sarasota county and will have a decent commute. I commuted to Fort Myers from Charlotte County every day for work. Took me about 40 mins out of season, 55-60 mins during season. Here are the pros of Charlotte, If you are not looking to live on a canal (70% of Punta Gorda residents reside on a canal), it is very affordable! I have a few family members who live in Charlotte county and love it. They love being far away from all the congestion of Lee and Sarasota, yet having those areas within an hour drive. Many parts of Charlotte are rural, not a whole lot of development going on compared to Lee and Sarasota. Yet, there are still things to do. Punta Gorda has a cute historic area with waterfront restaurants, tiki bars, and monthly events (concerts, block party, art festivals, etc). So as I said, it has it pros. The biggest con in my opinion is the school district and being a decent commute to work.

Manatee County is personally one of my favorite areas of Florida. I am currently getting a home built in Manatee now. I chose Manatee because of its proximity to St. Pete and Tampa. I've lived everywhere from Fort Myers to Manatee and found there is just so much to do in this area. As far as entertainment, many of your big music artists put on concerts in the Tampa Bay area, decent pick of professional sports, museums, art galleries, aquariums, you name it! What I also loved about it was the neighboring school district, Sarasota Public Schools. It is ranked as one of the states best public schools. Sarasota also is a very diverse small city which offers a lot to its residents. Farmers market couple times a week, Ringling, family owned restaurants, lots of parks, shopping, festivals/events in St Armands Circle, etc. Another perk of living in Manatee over Sarasota are the taxes. Sarasota does have higher property taxes compared to Manatee. I personally feel your money goes further in Manatee. As far as whats "in" Manatee, Anna Maria Island offers some beautiful beaches. I love the view of the skyway, although during season finding parking to go to the beach is impossible. Riverwalk is a nice little area in the downtown Bradenton area. Riverwalk offers a small field, playground, skate park, boardwalk to take nice stroll along the Manatee River. Lastly, the area has good shopping. University Park offers everything you'll need, Ellenton has an outlets mall, and if that isnt enough there is plenty of shopping off University in Sarasota.

Last on your list, Clearwater. I have a couple friends from Pinellas County who have been their their entire lives. From what I've heard, lots of the area developed in the 70s to 90s. Now, there isnt a whole lot of land left. Feels like a "suburban area". I have been to Clearwater many times to see concerts, it has its areas of good and bad. I would definitely recommend visiting this area before moving. Pros, close to everything! Tampa is just over the causeway via FL 60.

You did mention Pasco County. I have family who have lived there forever. My family was even looking to move there when I was younger. Wesley Chapel and New Tampa is really really nice! Much of the area was developed post 2000. I think it might be worth your time to check those areas out if you still want Pasco.

Overall, as I say to everyone who wants to move anywhere, visit before you make the move! Google Maps and street view and others opinions are not going to give you the answer if the city and county is for you. Apartments and realtors do an excellent job of taking photos to make a poor space look fabulous.
Based on what you have posted prior to me writing this, it looks like Lee County might be what you are looking for. Again, there is affordable housing if you know where to look, diverse cultures, lots of shopping (Gulf Coast Town Center, Mirarmar Outlets, Coconut, list goes on and on) beaches (Sanibel, Ft Myers Beach, Lovers Key, Estero Beaches, etc), and pretty decent choices of schools.

One last thing, some people might tell you about school choice in Florida. For example, you can live in Charlotte County and send your kids to Sarasota Schools. Yes, you can. BUT you need to provide transportation and that is only IF there is space in that district for your child.

Wish you best of luck in your search.
JazzmanLI
I live in Charlotte County. Correct about the jobs thing and they pay lower in this county. However it's much cheaper than Pasco tax wise and housing wise in Punta Gorda which is why I didn't move up there by family. it was simply too expensive up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida