Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
We are seriously looking into South Florida-- particularly West Palm Beach!
West Palm has a lot going on.

I would also suggest Sarasota.

Miami is the complete opposite of what you think, take it off your list.

I also like St. Pete a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
SEFL and Orlando are so big that they basically control the elections now. Trump barely squeaked out a victory.

FL is so urbanized it plays a factor too. Like up in MO it is very rural outside of KC Stl and a smaller extent Columbia. Trump won 111 of 114 counties in MO and most of those counties he won getting at least 70 percent of the vote and a number of them he got over 80 percent of the vote.

Here in FL for example Trump won nicely on the West coast counties but he wasn't winning with 70 percent or more of the vote. Like my county over here is Republican but it isn't heavily Republican. A lot of the counties in MO the democrats don't even run candidate for state house and senate seats anymore. I think 67 house seats last election didn't even have a democrat to run against the Republican.

We don't have very many areas here in FL that are super heavy republican except for a few counties in North FL. I'm meaning counties that are over 70-80 percent Trump.

Ft. Myers is getting very populated too, especially during season. Sure it's not SEFL but it gets bad during season.
Trump squeaked out a much greater victory than Obama squeaked out in 2012 so what's your point exactly? Then add in the 3rd party and she lost by what? Something like $225K?

LOL so now counties have to be 70-80% GOP to be valid Republican.

Florida Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO

It's ok don't worry. We FINALLY got rid of that disaster FL Smart Growth scam and now with more building permits and increasing home ownership creating more GOP members, we may have more of a chance to hold our position against all the Liberals who want to move HERE after destroying their own states. And who push for transient urban renter housing and spendy taxpayer dollars for votes.

In fact I heard that like locusts, they've ravaged NC, are finished with FL and are moving on to TN.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-20-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A vast majority would see that the other way around...
Good catch lol.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Just my thoughts, but check in Volusia County. Avoid Daytona as a place to live, but check our Port orange or even New Smyrna Beach which has a nice little downtown on the beach (Has a nice downtown off the beach as well) with some nice places and it isn't far to Port Orange or if you must Daytona Beach, just avoid the downtown are at night. New Smyrna is laid back, fewer snow birds yet close to many places you may want to visit. My wife and I are building there and will move next year.
Do not consider Volusia county if you want to teach. Volusia will hire you and once your salary (based on education and experience) is verified they will lay you off. My wife was a teacher and we have seen variations of this in Volusia. Volusia's ideal teacher is someone who just graduated with no experience, even then most will be laid off after their second year before they get their first raise

Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Trump squeaked out a much greater victory than Obama squeaked out in 2012 so what's your point exactly? Then add in the 3rd party and she lost by what? Something like $225K?

LOL so now counties have to be 70-80% GOP to be valid Republican.

Florida Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO

It's ok don't worry. We FINALLY got rid of that disaster FL Smart Growth scam and now with more building permits and increasing home ownership creating more GOP members, we may have more of a chance to hold our position against all the Liberals who want to move HERE after destroying their own states. And who push for transient urban renter housing and spendy taxpayer dollars for votes.

In fact I heard that like locusts, they've ravaged NC, are finished with FL and are moving on to TN.
Also the toxic Hillary I think helped tipped FL to Trumps favor. I say the email think knocks off 4 points for Hillary in each state so thank God that happened.

Do you think IF the democraps get a legit contender next election that Florida will be blue again since it won't take much? With scott barely winning both elections many of us on the guns forums are worried we are probably going to have a democrat governor next election and think there is a decent shot. What stinks is that there probably isn't going to be 2/3rds majorities in both chambers to be able to override a democrat governor. Senate is currently just shy of it and then factor in a few rinos.

Looks like no campus carry or open carry will be passing. Up in Missouri the republican super majorities are so huge they were able to just easily override the constitutional carry veto. Same thing with West Virginia last year.

Tennessee is still pretty conservative and not seeing the huge influx NC has had. NC has Raleigh and Charlotte. Nashville and certainly Memphis can't compete with them for jobs and that.

I'm from Missouri which is a border state and technically a southern state in civil war terms so I'm no Yankee invader lol.

What is up with all these New Englanders moving here? The state during in season feels like the north east today. Most places in rural Missouri especially southern Missouri are more southern than most places in Florida. Especially the bootheel of Missouri is about as southern as one can get.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:00 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I'm a New Englander originally. I came for the weather... and for the fact that there are many other New Englanders here.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,222 times
Florida is not a very teacher friendly state, unfortunately, and I agree with the post upthread about Volusia being one of the worst districts to work as a teacher, which is sad, because I have children in the school system , and so many great teachers are leaving or not being offered a position when the school year ends. Also, as a liberal, we seem to be in the minority here. I can't tell you how many times I've had election signs stolen from my yard.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
The "liberal" areas in Florida are Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Palm Beach but they also have the most expensive housing costs in the State and the young professional hot spots are probably going to be unaffordable on "teaching" salaries. You'd be lucky to each make $40K as a new teacher in Florida anywhere in the State.

I'd look at Jacksonville. It has affordable housing, a diverse economy, beaches but not overrun with tourists and lots of young professionals. It's not as liberal as South Florida but not as conservative as its reputation either. The last few Presidential elections had Duval County about 50/50.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'd look at Jacksonville. It has affordable housing, a diverse economy, beaches but not overrun with tourists and lots of young professionals. It's not as liberal as South Florida but not as conservative as its reputation either. The last few Presidential elections had Duval County about 50/50.
I agree, Jacksonville gets a bad rap for being "bible-thumper land" but that's seriously outdated and if one considers it's one of the few fastest growing cities in the country, one can see how the political moderation has happened rather quickly. Not to mention there are several more liberal neighborhoods like Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Ortega and Springfield.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
When talking of politics - Democrat v. Republicans in Florida.... it's not quite the same as "Liberal v Conservative". What I mean is that OP is looking for a liberal place, not simply "Democrat". The Florida Democratic areas are much more Detroit than San Francisco. It's a big difference.

It doesn't mean the OP can't find a place in Florida they like. Maybe they are "liberal" but will mold into simply a Floridian. I hardly consider Fort Lauderdale the type of liberal place they are looking for. As others said, that place simply doesn't really exist in Florida.

Except maybe Key West?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida