Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM

138 posts, read 128,482 times

Advertisements

This is something I've heard mentioned a few times in other threads. I'm not that introverted and do like talking to and hanging out with people, however I'm not a hardcore party-type and am not into getting wasted or getting high. There are various reasons I prefer to not drink or do drugs. I'm also not that into beaches - I mean they're alright, but I'm not crazy about them.

Now you guys might be wondering why I'd want to move to Florida in that case and that mostly has to do with other reasons. I would suspect that this is more the case in Miami, which is not where I want to move anyway. I'm looking at more central Florida.

So I'm just trying to figure out if I'll fit in as someone like that because I've heard it mentioned that Florida caters more to people who enjoy clubbing, partying, going to the beach, getting wasted, etc and so I'm not sure if I'll fit in as well with the general crowd in this state.

Not to sound snobby, but I'm coming from New England and I've heard a lot of people say that the general populace is not as educated or intellectual in Florida comparatively either, so I was also wondering whether that's the case. Again, I'm not trying to sound stuck-up (and I hate how that is sometimes the case up here with people), but I'm more trying to figure out if I'd fit in and be able to have a fulfilling social life or if I'd hate it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:28 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_U123456789 View Post
Not to sound snobby, but I'm coming from New England

Not to sound argumentive.. but I don't know what you mean by the above.
Do people in New England think the rest of the country looks up to them?
(I can assure you that's not true.)

Florida has all types of people.
Like anywhere.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM

153 posts, read 197,325 times
I too am from the New England area. You are about to be in for the shock of your life because Florida is a whole world of its own. You are exactly right in that education is lacking and it is visibly seen almost everywhere you go in the state. I spent five years there and during that time it was very difficult to connect to the people and I've found the overall population to be pretty ignorant.

While I can agree with you that South Florida is probably not the best route for you to go if you want to bypass the party culture, Central Florida is not better by much. The theme park lackadaisical mentality dominates the Orlando metro. Lots of transience and flightiness in that region.

Also, many posters have previously posted this, but I'll say it again-- there is no sense of community throughout most of Florida.

Though I'm not experienced with the Tampa Bay area, I've heard great things about St. Pete being known as somewhat of a small bastion of "progress".

I apologize in advance if this post came off as too negative. If you don't mind me asking, what is bringing you to the sunshine state? If I was from New England and wanted to stay on the East Coast, I would consider parts of North Carolina or Virginia in place of moving to Florida.

Florida is just still very behind despite having an international presence and being home to at least one transplant resident from almost every country imaginable in this world. I found the residents in Orlando to be very schizophrenic and bizarre. It's just not a very comfortable place.

Once Rick Scott is out of office, I do believe Florida has a brighter future ahead of it. But I doubt we will see the state makes some positive curves for another 20 years or so.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Also, many posters have previously posted this, but I'll say it again-- there is no sense of community throughout most of Florida.
I absolutely agree.
That being said.. it sounds like the OP should consider staying in NE.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM

138 posts, read 128,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Not to sound argumentive.. but I don't know what you mean by the above.
Do people in New England think the rest of the country looks up to them?
(I can assure you that's not true.)

Florida has all types of people.
Like anywhere.
Not at all. I was just clarifying that I wasn't trying to be snobby in asking about the above, but more was just trying to gauge whether I'm going to have a difficult time fitting in personally.

EDIT: On the other hand, what's interesting though is that according to this map, I'd have a better time as a non-drinker in Florida than New England and many other states, which seems strange based on what I've heard: http://imgur.com/suOEc2Z

Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Not at all. I was just clarifying that I wasn't being snobby in asking about the above, but more was just trying to gauge whether I'm going to have a difficult time fitting in personally.

EDIT: On the other hand, what's interesting though is that according to this map, I'd have a better time as a non-drinker in Florida than New England and many other states, which seems strange based on what I've heard: Drunks in the US: % of adults age 26+ who binge drank the previous month - Imgur

Whew!
Thanks so much for clarifying

If you haven't been reading about it... google the rehab/sober homes getting busted down here.
I think the fact that they're cleaning that stuff up will make a huge difference.
The facilities actually were major contributors/encouraged drug abuse with many owners providing drugs for the patients.

I've been here 22+ years and have friends that party hard, don't party at all, and everything in between.
You may not like it here.. but it won't be because of "not fitting in because everyone parties hard".
There are also many people from New England in South Florida.. not sure about the rest of the state.
Best of luck

Last edited by cfbs2691; 07-13-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times
So annoying people moving from up North and thinking they are superior to people in Florida. Why is New England and NE not gaining population at high rates? Based on the OP questions and pre-judgment learned from others, I don't think you will like Florida. I think North Carolina would be a good choice. Don't think you will find more intellectuals there. Is this the state that is confused with who can use a public restroom? lol....

Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Wow - so you New Englanders think you're something special and all the millions of people in Florida uneducated country bumpkins??? Also, the whole "Florida is just a party state?" Where would you have "heard" that?

Florida is a big state, like with lots of cities, and lots of people. It varies TREMENDOUSLY what city or part of the state you are in as to how "educated" it is or how much people like to "party" or not. Keep in mind we welcome those from other areas as long as they don't come here and look down their noses at us for not being "good enough or smart enough" etc... - NO tolerance for that at all!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Not at all. I was just clarifying that I wasn't trying to be snobby in asking about the above, but more was just trying to gauge whether I'm going to have a difficult time fitting in personally.

EDIT: On the other hand, what's interesting though is that according to this map, I'd have a better time as a non-drinker in Florida than New England and many other states, which seems strange based on what I've heard: Drunks in the US: % of adults age 26+ who binge drank the previous month - Imgur
Fl is a large State and the 3rd most populous. It has everything as to culture and activities that every other States has except mountains, desert, snow and ice.

Remember many of the residents are from the NE and bring their culture with them. Hopefully they will leave their politics behind, which have made the States they leave so undesirable. Partying, yes, partying, no and everything in between, just depends on where you live and you you associate with. As to negative comments such exist on every forum about every State and usually from people who want something they can't have. Moving to FL should be like moving to the USA. Plan on changing YOUR cultural ideas and become like the people you live around. If a person can't, don't move in and cause problems and complain. I have found a nice laid back area and partying is not my thing, but the beaches are and I will be 8 miles from the beach, and I ignore politics as in general both parties foul things up and it ain't gonna change.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
OP, the whole "party culture" is mostly a south FL thing...Miami/Fort Lauderdale. However, if you're not into partying literally 90% of the state will be good for you. IMO, outside of Dade and Broward county.... FL is pretty quiet, save Orlando and Tampa.....even Tampa feels quiet to me tho...

Also, coming from New England youll be in good company because there are loads of ppl from New england already here. Not that they bring any sort of cultural enrichment with them lol. but that's beside the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida