Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM

11 posts, read 17,916 times

Advertisements

We want to move to Florida within the next year or so. We have an elderly pit bull mix and a cat. We would be moving from New Jersey. Has anyone had any experience with pet transport companies? We don't want to put them on an airplane because of the horror stories we've read about airlines. Our pets are family to us and we want to be sure they are safe. We cannot drive them down ourselves as our car is way too small. I'd be so grateful for any help and recommendations. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Hire a bigger car & drive them yourself.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Yep, rent a large car or a truck, safest way to do it.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Rent a C class RV, the pets will feel right at home for the trip..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
I have never used a pet transport company but if I did, I would contact movethedog.net. I lurk on a retriever message board and many hunters and breeders have used this service to get dogs from one place to another. Pet transport is not entirely uncommon in the dog performance world.

I know nothing of the prices or if they take cats but if they don't, perhaps they know of someone or some other company. Anyway, they get high marks for their services in the performance dog world.

I suspect renting a bigger car would be cheaper but just a warning--I have seen too many rental agreements that prohibit animals in cars. So read the fine print. That's prevented us from renting a car many times as we often travel with our dog.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rent a C class RV, the pets will feel right at home for the trip..
I don't think you can do a one way rental with RVs like one can with a car, and that would obviously be a pricey option to make 3 trips.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlfamily View Post
We want to move to Florida within the next year or so. We have an elderly pit bull mix and a cat. We would be moving from New Jersey. Has anyone had any experience with pet transport companies? We don't want to put them on an airplane because of the horror stories we've read about airlines. Our pets are family to us and we want to be sure they are safe. We cannot drive them down ourselves as our car is way too small. I'd be so grateful for any help and recommendations. Thank you.
You might look at renting a U-Haul 10' Truck which is on a van base with bucket seats. There's just enough room between the seats for a larger carrier for your dog and the cat can go in a smaller carrier on top secured to the one underneath. It might be a little cramped for them but you'll no doubt stop once or twice each day to let the dog out and being with you will help considerably versus with strangers. There are lots of pet-friendly motels on I-95 where you can overnight for a comfortable two day trip. Comfort Inns, Best Westerns and Quality Inns are the most common on I-95 and most take cats, which isn't always a component of pet-friendly oddly enough.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 17,916 times
We are seniors and my husband is unable to drive for any great distance due to back injury. It would be too difficult for us in retrospect even with a larger car. We would have to have someone drive us and that would not be practical. Hence the reason for inquiring about pet transport companies. I particularly wish to thank Wizrap for specifically addressing our question. I will look into the transport company mentioned. Again if anyone has experience with these companies I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlfamily View Post
We are seniors and my husband is unable to drive for any great distance due to back injury. It would be too difficult for us in retrospect even with a larger car. We would have to have someone drive us and that would not be practical. Hence the reason for inquiring about pet transport companies. I particularly wish to thank Wizrap for specifically addressing our question. I will look into the transport company mentioned. Again if anyone has experience with these companies I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.
Mentioning the back problems and inability to drive would have helped the rest of us trying to offer suitable suggestions as it was not mentioned in your original post...

More so for others looking to the forum in the future as an FYI if it does not work out to transport the cat with the pet-moving company, you can now bring them on board with some airlines. JetBlue, Delta and Southwest all allow cats in the passenger cabin within a carrier that fits beneath the seat.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might look at renting a U-Haul 10' Truck which is on a van base with bucket seats. There's just enough room between the seats for a larger carrier for your dog and the cat can go in a smaller carrier on top secured to the one underneath. It might be a little cramped for them but you'll no doubt stop once or twice each day to let the dog out and being with you will help considerably versus with strangers. There are lots of pet-friendly motels on I-95 where you can overnight for a comfortable two day trip. Comfort Inns, Best Westerns and Quality Inns are the most common on I-95 and most take cats, which isn't always a component of pet-friendly oddly enough.
There isn't enough room in the (cab)10' U-haul for any sized carrier, no way. I know I used that truck and ended up with all 3 of my small carin terriers in the cab, 2 on the floor board and one in the seat. A adventure in a temp 550 mile move, that I had the pleasure of repeating 11 months later same sized U-haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida