Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I don't think there is much boating in winter on the great lakes. Don't some of the lakes freeze over and some of the ports close due to weather?
Yes. But I'm responding to someone whose handle is "LoveBoating" and is considering moving from Florida to Colorado, and seems to want a colder climate. I don't know much about Colorado, but it doesn't seem like a good place for someone who loves boating. My point was that, if they're seeking a colder climate and would still like some boating, the Great Lakes region has a lot to offer. There are eight states in the US that border the Great Lakes. There's even a National Lakeshore with massive sand dunes that top anything that could be found on the Atlantic Coast.

In any event, I'm getting a bit off topic here, I was just trying to help the poster out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 739 times
I moved to Florida from upstate NY back in 1978. I was 19, just married, and looking for a change. I spent most of my young life working too hard to go to the beach much, even though we live in Clearwater the first 3 years we were married. Then we moved to the Gainesville area where ai started a window cleaning business and stayed in it for 35 years. After a 3 year absence I have gone back to it while we help our daughter and son-in-law raise 2 adopted kids. Our son lives in Chattanooga now, and will never live in Florida again cuz it's too hot. We came here with next to nothing and made a life here and it's been good overall. I don't miss the snow, although I have found memories of it in my childhood. It's just not much fun for grown-ups.

This may not have helped much, except to say this: you make your happiness at home, wherever that is. That said, I won't be moving away ever in all likelihood.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwc View Post

This may not have helped much, except to say this: you make your happiness at home, wherever that is. That said, I won't be moving away ever in all likelihood.
This is so true.

To many expect where they live to make them happy instead of how they live, wherever they go.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
I don't miss the snow, although I have found memories of it in my childhood. It's just not much fun for grown-ups.
Speak for yourself!

Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
I'm staying here in sunny buffalo. My house will be here. Good luck to all in Florida!!

Last edited by bmd69; 09-09-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-09-2017, 07:02 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
I moved to Florida from upstate NY back in 1978. I was 19, just married, and looking for a change. I spent most of my young life working too hard to go to the beach much, even though we live in Clearwater the first 3 years we were married. Then we moved to the Gainesville area where ai started a window cleaning business and stayed in it for 35 years. After a 3 year absence I have gone back to it while we help our daughter and son-in-law raise 2 adopted kids. Our son lives in Chattanooga now, and will never live in Florida again cuz it's too hot. We came here with next to nothing and made a life here and it's been good overall. I don't miss the snow, although I have found memories of it in my childhood. It's just not much fun for grown-ups.

Even though we are looking at moving back to Colorado, it's definitely NOT for the snow, for the different things we liked about Colorado during the 5 1/2 years we lived there.

And, the Front Range is an excellent area for boating. We should know, we done a lot of it on Chatfield and some on Cherry Creek.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Even though we are looking at moving back to Colorado, it's definitely NOT for the snow, for the different things we liked about Colorado during the 5 1/2 years we lived there.

And, the Front Range is an excellent area for boating. We should know, we done a lot of it on Chatfield and some on Cherry Creek.
Glad you like boating on reservoirs. Power boats, water skiing and fishing can be good on reservoirs. And you don't have manatee zones to worry about in Colorado.

Folks on the Chesapeake Bay, Great Lakes or on a coast may have a different idea of what boating is all about. Interesting how diverse a similar activity can be.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:02 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Glad you like boating on reservoirs. Power boats, water skiing and fishing can be good on reservoirs. And you don't have manatee zones to worry about in Colorado.

Folks on the Chesapeake Bay, Great Lakes or on a coast may have a different idea of what boating is all about. Interesting how diverse a similar activity can be.
Well, our Colorado boat was a 16' Bowrider, which, for us, was perfect for trout fishing in the No Wake area and "beaching" it by some trees and relaxing on the beach. This boat, for us, would've been extremely scary on the river here, due to it's low bow.

We just like smaller areas of water than are here.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:09 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:

Yes, I was amazed how much boating there is on Lake Lanier in Georgia, for example.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, our Colorado boat was a 16' Bowrider, which, for us, was perfect for trout fishing in the No Wake area and "beaching" it by some trees and relaxing on the beach. This boat, for us, would've been extremely scary on the river here, due to it's low bow.

We just like smaller areas of water than are here.
Yup, I remember boating in Utah and Arizona. When we lived in the DC area a friend had a sailboat on the Chesapeake Bay. Sailing a day to the Eastern Shore and a day back is a whole different kettle of fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida